Author Topic: TENN. "AR" RIFLE W/ SAWTOOTH FOREND CAP POSTED BY NORD IN LIBRARY  (Read 5330 times)

Offline JIM FRANCIS

NORD, I CAN'T SEEM TO FIND THIS POST NOW. JUST SAW IT TWO DAYS AGO. I HAVE A RIFLE WITH THE SAME PEWTER CAP AND WANTED TO DO SOME MORE CHECKING. MY RIFLE HAS A CURLY MAPLE STOCK AND IS BRASS MOUNTED. TANG GOES ALL THE WAY BACK TO THE BUTT PLATE EXTENSION AND THE EXTENSION ALSO HAS THE SAME SAWTOOTH DESIGN. MY BARREL IS UNMARKED. I WONDER IF THERE ARE MORE GUNS KNOWN WITH THIS PARTICULAR CAP AND IF ANYONE HAS BEEN  ABLE TO IDENTIFY THE MAKER.    THANKS, JIM FRANCIS

Offline nord

Re: TENN. "AR" RIFLE W/ SAWTOOTH FOREND CAP POSTED BY NORD IN LIBRARY
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 01:33:24 AM »
Jim,

So many rifles now presented that I don't happen to remember very many. Do you by any chance remember the ID number? Otherwise it's a needle in a haystack unless someone can direct me a bit closer.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 02:18:40 AM »
Was it  Tenn. rifle for your review and comments Posted on Oct 23.  JIM
JIM

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 02:31:42 AM »
Was it  Tenn. rifle for your review and comments Posted on Oct 23.  JIM
Here's a link to that rifle.
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=18547.0

I think this is the one Jim is talking about. Its in the Library under http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4163.0 Iron mounted "Unknown". Once they get buried in the library they can be hard to find! Best to do a search for them.
Dennis
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 02:37:19 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 02:45:52 AM »
Yes, the one attributed to Robert Hughes!  One of my all time favorites.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 03:22:38 AM »
DENNIS, THAT WASN'T THE ONE. BUT IN GOING THROUGH THOSE POSTS, I NOW COUNT 4 KNOWN RIFLES WITH THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF NOSE CAP.
NORD, I CAN'T REMIMBER THE NUMBER ON THE POST BUT YOU HAD "AR" AFTER THE NUMBER AND SAID JERRY NOBLE HAD SAID IT WAS POSSIBLY FROM ONE OF THE RICES.

HERE ARE SOME PHOTOS OF MY RIFLE.

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 03:44:31 AM »
090119 IS THE ONE I WAS LOOKING FOR.    THANKS, JIM

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 04:59:03 PM »
DENNIS, THAT WASN'T THE ONE. BUT IN GOING THROUGH THOSE POSTS, I NOW COUNT 4 KNOWN RIFLES WITH THIS PARTICULAR TYPE OF NOSE CAP.
Look at the second link

I think this is the one Jim is talking about. Its in the Library under http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=4163.0 Iron mounted "Unknown". Once they get buried in the library they can be hard to find! Best to do a search for them.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 07:47:24 PM »
Are the identical unique nose caps significant enough to make an attribution of Mr. Francis' gun to "A+R"???????????
Hurricane

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
I have a similar brass mounted rifle with the same guard, nosecap, and triggers.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 01:50:38 AM »
SEQUATCHIE,  ANY MARKINGS ON YOUR RIFLE? THE ONLY MARKING ON MINE IS A STYLEIZED "H" ON THE LOCK. THE VERTICLE LEGS ARE THIN RECTANGLES AND THE CROSS BAR IS AN ARROW. LOCK SEEMS TO BE A TYPICAL HARDWARE STORE LOCK. NO MARKINGS ON BARREL.
           AS FAR AS AN ATTRIBUTION GOES, I DON'T THINK WE CAN. I DO THINK THAT THESE RIFLES WERE POSSIBLY MADE IN THE SAME SHOP OR AT LEAST IN THE SAME CLOSE PROXIMITY. MAYBE ONE OF THESE DAYS A SIGNED GUN WILL TURN UP AND CLEAR SOME OF THIS UP.