Author Topic: what are you working on?  (Read 30791 times)

Tony Clark

what are you working on?
« on: December 29, 2011, 03:50:46 AM »
I'm working on this little box at the moment, about 10" long 4" wide 2.5" high that has a sliding lid in the shape of a patchbox trying to get my hand back before I begin to attempt the carving of some rifles where I left off a while ago. It's made of apple wood and it is hard as can be, it will be totally carved on every surface. I saw a similar box at a CLA show awhile back I think Brad Emig had it on his table.
What sort a projects is everyone else working on in the way of gunbuilding? Is it just me or do some things take a while for others too?  ::) Currently I have Bonewitz and (sigh) #42 RCA to complete. Half done with #42 but I already hate it. Good thing I have another barrel and mounts to do the next one which I plan on having exactly right.
What are you working on? How about future projects, any plans?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:58:56 AM by Tony Clark »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: what are you working on?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2011, 03:56:41 AM »
Just finishing up my 1815 GA smoothbore. Got a piece of black walnut from Dan Fruth being inlet with a Rice So Classic .50 that I hope to start turning into a M Gillespie for my Son-in-law in a couple of weeks or so.... got a .53 cal Hugh Toenjes pistol to get done theis spring....and a new pine floor to put into my gunshop......... oh, and a job......
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:57:08 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Online David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2011, 04:01:29 AM »
When I am not inletting barrels I am working on carving a canoe gun in the N.W. Coastal Art Haida design. 
Dave

Tony Clark

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2011, 04:18:04 AM »
.... got a .53 cal Hugh Toenjes pistol to get done theis spring...

What is .53 cal Hugh Toenies pistol exactly? That is an odd caliber.

Tony Clark

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:27 AM »
When I am not inletting barrels I am working on carving a canoe gun in the N.W. Coastal Art Haida design. 
Dave

That sounds different. What kind of designs are you going with? The N. W. coast tribes were the ultimate wood carvers of any north american indians no doubt.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2011, 04:45:16 AM »
.53 cal barrel made by Hugh Toenjes. 11 inches long. has a cupped breech so the flash hole will go through the side of the barrel and the breech plug. Hugh started the pistol several years ago and I bought It from him last year... essentially as a kit with a very highly modified and tuned small siler lock.... If I can do it justice it will be a fine addition to the arsenal!!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 04:46:04 AM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Offline James Wilson Everett

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2011, 05:11:16 AM »
Guys,

I have just finished a 0.418 caliber, octagon to round 38.4 inch long barrel forged from wrought iron, smoothbore.  I have in process two flintlocks about 1/2 done and all parts at least rough forged from wrought iron.  Next year I plan to get these parts together and make some sort of light weight fowler or smooth rifle, haven't decided on the style yet.  Come to think of it, by the time I get to buying the wood for the stock, at least 90% of my work is finished.  I will be out of the country until late May 2012 so will pick it up after that.

Jim Everett

Offline flehto

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2011, 05:16:48 AM »
Just finishing up a Bucks County, a LH Lancaster that's 70%, a Lancaster that's just got the bbl and RR work done and another Bucks County waiting for shipment for bbl and RR work. My wife keeps telling me that I'm nuts and won't finish all the above seeing I'm 80 yrs....But, I'm an optimist but will   have to speed things up a bit. Anyways, what does she know....Fred
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 05:17:53 AM by flehto »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2011, 05:24:49 AM »
Just keep building them Fred!!!  ;D ;D ;)
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2011, 05:41:34 AM »
Going through a divorce(friendly on both side's!)so i'm working on getting my shop re-set in Port Austin,Mi. When it's up and runnin',.32 Ash Southern and a Virginia smoothbore,both were started before the move. All should done in the next week or so. Then,2 Hawkin's,2 Lehigh's,3 East Tenn.............and so on!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2011, 05:48:35 AM »
A Reading ("Haga-esque") fowler. It's been stalled out since last spring so with the onset of winter I should be able to get going again.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2011, 06:21:21 AM »
Good for you, Fred!  If it's like previous Bucks pieces you've built, it'll be a Beaut.

Round toe "Virginia" rifle here, then an English Sporting Rifle I'm 3/4 way through.

Ed

Ed Wenger

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2011, 06:26:23 AM »
1000 pound gun safe brought it home flat on a trailer used pipe the slide it off.
Got it stood up with an engine hoist, its 6 ft tall, now I need to create a place to put it.

Oh guns. I have a 18 (?) pound chunk rifle in the works ala Dickert but other things keep getting in the way.
Hopefully since I am missing next months match I will get the carving done and it will have finish on the wood by February match.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2011, 06:26:55 AM »
I'm working on six guns in my mind, and one on the bench. A Lehigh. A mix between Rupp and Kuntz, it will be signed 'Krupp'.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline elk killer

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 06:30:09 AM »
1. walnut 4 bore Blunderbuss
2. Lyman Great plains flintlock fullstock,restock to curly maple
3. 12 ga. flintlock pistol
4. 12 ga. flint trade rifle
5. swamped .45 cal lancaster style flintlock
6. .20 guage smooth rifle with a 42 inch swamped barrel
7. 31 inch swamped .54, curly maple, short rifle for a nice lady
8. waiting on barrel inlet for a 44 inch swamped .40 cal  southern rifle

only flintlocks remain interesting..

Offline LynnC

« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 07:04:24 AM »
24 bore flint fowler and 20 bore trade pistol.  Got all the parts.  Now to mail order the time  ::).
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline smallpatch

• Dane Lund
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 07:09:25 AM »
Working on my next Lehigh.( John Rupp)  It's an addiction.  When I finish this one, it's on to #3.
In His grip,

Dane

BillC

« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 07:26:56 AM »
Building my wife a light 45 with stepped wrist and a southern flair. This is the first gun that I have built without makeing it to fit me and it feels weird but she says it feels right to her. BTW, she has never shot a muzzleloader of any kind and this is a flintlock. Keeping my fingers crossed that she will enjoy the experience.

Offline Frank

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 12:44:32 PM »
Working on a 45 cal Lehigh using one of David Keck's Stopil Long stocks.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 03:23:40 PM »
Going through a divorce(friendly on both side's!)so i'm working on getting my shop re-set in Port Austin,Mi. When it's up and runnin',.32 Ash Southern and a Virginia smoothbore,both were started before the move. All should done in the next week or so. Then,2 Hawkin's,2 Lehigh's,3 East Tenn.............and so on!
Yer going back down below? Sorry to hear about the divorce.
Yer pal, Joe

BTW, I'm working on getting the shop cleaned up before I start more guns. I got 5 to make, all alike. :/
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 03:24:38 PM by Keb Mo »

Offline Gary Tucker

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
I'm working on a .50 cal Lehigh for my nephew.  Just got the lock plate in yesterday.  Set it high on the side of the barrel.  Looks odd to me, but that is what  makes a slim looking profile.  I am using one of Rice's A weight barrels so the mainspring shouldn't touch the barrel flat.
Gary Tucker

Offline Bill-52

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2011, 04:47:10 PM »
Working on #2, a .50 caliber JP Beck, getting parts for #3, a Dauphin County/Martin Shell and thoroughly enjoying shooting #1, a .45 caliber Peter Berry.

I feel like a real slacker compared to some of the work-in-progress lists here.

Bill
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:21:21 PM by Bill-52 »

Offline satwel

« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »
Got a .50 cal JP Beck on the bench about 2/3 complete. A Long Land Service musket is in the on-deck circle.

Happy New Year!

Offline Ted Kramer

« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2011, 05:52:49 PM »
Right now I'm working on a half stock, .50 cal. flint Tennessee rifle w/wooden rib. I hope to have it finished by the end of January.

Next will be a .52 cal. early flint rifle I'll keep for my own use.

After that,, if there's time before Spring field work, parts for a flint Leman are patiently waiting on a shelf in the shop.

I have several more planned in thought, but that's as far as they've gotten so far.

Ted K.

Meteorman

« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2011, 05:59:50 PM »
it will be signed 'Krupp'.

... altho I think there actually was a Krupp armorer who fed the Nazi war machine.    maybe a Runtz ? 

I'm plodding along on a tennessee mountain with a .50 44" Rice B, using some renditions from contemporary builders as inspiration.
Just finished the entry thimble, which (hopefully) means I'm over the hump.
pouring a pewter nosecap this weekend.
Lookin forward to picking up parts at the Artisan Show in Lewisburg PA in early Feb for the next build.
/mm