Author Topic: 2013 Chambers Kit Building Class FULL - NMLRA Seminars Still OPEN  (Read 19516 times)

Offline Blackpowder Barbie

• Jim Chambers Flintlocks
Hi All!!

The 2013 Chambers Kit building class is full.  However....  The NMLRA's Gun Smithing seminars held at Western Kentucky University from May 29th - June 7th are still open.  Jim is teaching a Rifle Kit Building Class this year at the Seminars!   
Here is a list of the classes:

http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_GunsmithingSeminar2013.pdf

And, here is the registration form:

http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_GunsmithingSeminar2013Reg..pdf

For more information please contact the NMLRA at (800) 745-1493. 
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 08:16:40 PM by Blackpowder Barbie »
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Re: Chambers Kit Building Class
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 12:39:11 AM »
There may be a couple spaces in this class for Carving instruction from Jim as well.
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

joatmon

Re: Chambers Kit Building Class- Openings remain for Sept. 2012
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:11:16 AM »
What kind of lodgeing is available local,are there still openings?
Thanks Aaron

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 05:02:25 AM »
Yes, we still have a couple of spots available for the Sept. class.  Just down the road a few miles is an extended stay motel (new) that rents for  $198 for seven days, not a bad deal at all.  And, there are plenty of good restaurants of all types near by.

joatmon

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 08:54:02 AM »
Thanks for the information.

Aaron

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 06:37:33 PM »
Would love to attend, mabye in a couple years. Too bad you are so far away haha

Mclean

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
We always have at least one student from California each year, and last year we had one from Alaska.  But we've never had a Canadian - we need to get you down here!   ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

McLeanWelsh

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:46:38 PM »
Im just finishing my year in gunsmithing school in quebec. Moved out here bc and the whole course is in french. I dont speak a word haha but im doing really well in it. Cant wait to get home in july.

McLean

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
What part of NC are you located? 

I just drove back from Charlotte, on Sat.  Also,  how many are in a class, and how many spots still available?

I would love to go to a class, I would have to check the schedules.  The National Guard, Work and another part-time job keep me hopping, not including family. 

Will there be any representatives at Friendship?

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
We are just about 20 minutes west of Asheville, NC near the Great Smokie Mountains. 

We have 5 slots still open for the class coming up this Fall starting on Sept. 23 and running through the 28th.

Yep, both Dad and I will be at Friendship starting next Friday through Wed.  Hope to see you and a bunch of others there!   ;D

Barbie Chambers-Phillips

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:31:58 PM »
Here are some photos of the class that started today here at the shop.  We have two carving students and 10 rifle builders including a Father-Son team and a Grandfather-Grandson team!  Great to see the young guys learning how to build.  We are going to let them shoot a little this week too!  Fun times!   ;D ;D ;D

Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Looks fun. Wish I could be there. Barbie, the pistol, is that the new pistol kit you are making?

Best regards
Rolf

Looks fun. Wish I could be there. Barbie, the pistol, is that the new pistol kit you are making?

Best regards
Rolf

Us too Rolf!

Yes that is the new pistol.  Now to get one fully put together so I can get some finished pictures for advertising!!
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Well, folks the Fall Class is full so now to get to work on planning the classes for 2013!!  I'm feeling May and Sept. will be good months!  ;D
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

Vomitus

Re: Chambers Kit Building Class- Fall class is full! Now for Spring...
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
  Barbie,
  When the Canadians come down,they'll bring tipi's and tents! Camp on your front lawn! We don't need no stinking MOtels!lol!
 Thanks so much for putting these classes on, guys and gal(s). This gives hope to us newby wannabees.Any chance you guys would move to Seattle or Spokane? Sure would make it easier for us Westerners.hint hint  ;D

Offline KLMoors

Re: Chambers Kit Building Class- Fall class is full! Now for Spring...
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2012, 10:36:24 PM »
The first week of April sure would work well for us North Carolina teachers. ;D

Offline Curt Larsen

Re: Chambers Kit Building Class- Spring 2013 Class now Scheduled
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2012, 04:28:45 PM »
Be sure to check Priceline to fiind the best deals on places to stay around Asheville.  The last time I visited with Jim and cohorts a couple of years ago, I was able to find a name your own price deal on Priceline for $45 a night in Asheville, a short drive from Jim.  I also checked reviews of the various places.  One place west of Jim's on the Interstate mentioned bedbugs--yuk.  Hope this helps.  I wish I could attend the Spring class.

Curt

Muggsy1776

« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2012, 06:55:02 PM »
Email sent!

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2012, 07:13:37 PM »
Be sure to check Priceline to fiind the best deals on places to stay around Asheville.  The last time I visited with Jim and cohorts a couple of years ago, I was able to find a name your own price deal on Priceline for $45 a night in Asheville, a short drive from Jim.  I also checked reviews of the various places.  One place west of Jim's on the Interstate mentioned bedbugs--yuk.  Hope this helps.  I wish I could attend the Spring class.

Curt

Curt, We still recommend The Value Place here near us for the week of class.  It runs $200 for the week.  It is a bare bones kind of place, but all the reviews on it are positive.  It's basic but it's clean, nice staff, etc.  and no bed bugs.  There are also plenty of restaurants around for dinner (if you are even hungry after the lunches I fix!)
Barbie
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

JLM195650

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2013, 02:33:40 AM »
Maybe I will have to keep room on the schedule!

medbill

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 10:52:15 PM »
Hey Barbie, will work on getting there, would a carving class be in addition or is it one or the other?  I have my smooth rifle from Conner's that stills needs to have a little carving.  I also have one of your kits just waiting to be built.  Also does the class end on Friday 17th or Saturday 18th?  Last question can I get a few pics/descriptions of what you used on those supports you guys built for holding up the muzzle end of the rifle while working on the bench?  Looks like some PVC, a base and a hose clamp, I need to make myself one of these.  Thanks!

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 02:15:43 AM »
HI BARB, I am definetly planning on purchasing one of your kits and attending your classes also. rihgt now i am trying on my own and with help from the members of ALR to build a dickert rifle from a barrel that i already have from RICE and a partially inletted stock from pecatonica river and all the hardware from troy roope @ stonewall creek.

After that definetly a kit and classes.

topknot
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 05:36:30 AM by Ky-Flinter »
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 02:18:52 AM »
BARBIE, by the way I have a daughter named barbie born in august 1978.
                                                                                                              topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 07:57:39 PM »
Hey Barbie, will work on getting there, would a carving class be in addition or is it one or the other?  I have my smooth rifle from Conner's that stills needs to have a little carving.  I also have one of your kits just waiting to be built.  Also does the class end on Friday 17th or Saturday 18th?  Last question can I get a few pics/descriptions of what you used on those supports you guys built for holding up the muzzle end of the rifle while working on the bench?  Looks like some PVC, a base and a hose clamp, I need to make myself one of these.  Thanks!

Hi Billy,
  We haven't planned a carving class for this year, and I'm afraid the class for this year is full.  However there is still room in the kit class that Dad is teaching during the NMLRA's Gunsmithing seminars at Western Kentucky University May 29th - June 7th.  Here's a link to the class info: http://www.nmlra.org/pdfs/web_GunsmithingSeminar2013.pdf

You are correct the muzzle supports are pvc pipe, a wooden base and hose clamp.  They come in very handy!  I'll post some pictures soon for you.  :)
Barbie Chambers-Phillips

medbill

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 08:00:44 PM »
Thanks Barbie!