Author Topic: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program  (Read 4377 times)

Offline gibster

NRA Endorsed Insurance Program
« on: February 03, 2012, 06:02:27 PM »
Anyone using the NRA Endorsed Insurance Program for insuring their collection?  Rates seem to be very reasonable when compared to other companies I looked at.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
Re: NRA Endorsed Insurance Program
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2012, 06:43:42 PM »
I just have a rider on my homeowners insurance.  It required me to photo document the collection, but was very reasonable.  That reminds me, that I need to update that file.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

BGC

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 07:34:03 PM »
I went that way for awhile. (Using the NRA endorsed plan)
Got to the point that each year when I would add a new gun or two to the collection,  and update the value, the insurance company would hassle me that I would have to have a professional appraisal of the new acquisitions.  I finally just gave up and dropped them. I've since heard that it is cheaper to get a rider on your home insurance policy.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:53:10 PM »
Look into Chubb "Fine Arts"...cheap, no hassels, all risks and no formal appraisals for items, well described, and valued less than 50K. (No conflict of interest on my part). I thimk they have underwriters familar with antiques who review the valuation???
Hurricane

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
Fred,
Less the 50K for the collection, or less than 50K per item?

John
John Robbins

Offline gibster

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 10:17:52 PM »
Thanks for the responce guys.  I checked with my homeowners insurance and they won't provide insurance for "antique" firearms.  No problem getting a rider for modern guns.  I also checked with a local company that uses Chubb.  They are checking into it, but they told me that they didn't think that Chubb is still providing new policies for antique firearms.  I haven't heard back from them yet to confirm.  I also talked to another insurance agent that I know to see what he could come up with.  Everything that he could find required an appraisal and the cost was between 2 and 3 percent of the total value of the collection.  The information that I got from the NRA Endorsed program is that any individual firearm valued at over $20,000 would require an appraisal.  If lower than that, it is not required.  They seem to cover theft, fire, whatever, and the cost is .0067 percent of the value of the collection, along with a $15.00 admin fee.  As far as adding to or removing guns from the policy, they said that is isn't a problem.  But since I haven't had insurance with them in the past, that remains to be seen.  I was just wondering who others were using and what their experiences were.  Thanks again.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 11:55:06 PM »
I have my insurance with USAA....They insured my guns as art rather than firearms.... much less expensive than other places I checked..its just included in my HO ins now.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 11:58:22 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 12:43:29 AM »
Reply to JTR: 50K per item!!!
Hurricane

Offline mbriggs

• member 2
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 01:25:01 AM »
I have for many years insured my collection on my homeowners policy with a "Fine Arts" ryder.  It is not expensive to do.  Insuring them as guns cost a lot more.

Michael 
C. Michael Briggs

GrampaJack

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 04:03:06 AM »
Have your insurance guy check into Inland and Marine.  Good outfit.  Jack