Author Topic: Another Rifle "Found In A Barn"  (Read 5362 times)

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Another Rifle "Found In A Barn"
« on: February 12, 2012, 08:27:20 AM »
Two weeks ago, I had tables at our local gun show (Sauk Trail Gun Collectors -275 tables) in Princeton, Illinois.  On Sunday afternoon, a man came in carrying a zippered case containing a rifle that protruded out of the case, showing a deep crescent buttplate.  As he unzipped the case and started to pull the rifle out, I was shocked and amazed to see a heavy fullstock Plains Rifle, that I instantly recognized as having been made by S. D. HINSDALE, our local Princeton gunsmith.  He said that it had been found recently, in the hayloft of an old barn, being torn down for the weathered vertical "Barn board".  The barn was between Toulon and Wyoming, Illinois, about thirty miles away.  Without telling him more than I wanted him to know, I asked if it was for sale.  He replied "everything is for sale".  We promptly made a deal, and I became the new owner of a crusty and rusty S. D. Hinsdale rifle.  I have spent the last ten days carefully trying to remove the scaly rust and dirt, without disturbing the patina that was beneath it.

I  have  owned a strikingly similar Hinsdale rifle for several years. The "barn gun" is stocked in maple, whereas the one I had is straight-grained walnut.  The barrel dimensions are the same, width-wise, 1 3/16" at the breech, 1 1/8" at the muzzle, but the barrel on this one is 37" long, 2 1/2" longer than the walnut-stocked rifle.  Both are approximately .46 caliber.  Both have the slightly unusual trigger guard that all of Hinsdale's rifles seem to have, and both also have poured pewter nosecaps, a bit unusual on a fullstock, with little "wings" that I have not seen on anyone else's rifles.

I have photographs of the two rifles together, for comparison, on photobucket. The walnut-stocked rifle that I already owned is pictured here in the Library. When you find my album on Photobucket, click on sub-album S D HINSDALE PRINCETON.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v76/astuteobserver/

Offline Loudy

Re: Another Rifle "Found In A Barn"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
Curt,

Congrats on another barn find.  I'm sure it will look great when you get it stabilized and restored. A great addition to your IL made longrifle collection.  I look forward to seeing you... and your rifle in a couple weeks!

Mark

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
Hi Mark,
Yes, it will be there!  I'm not doing much more than just stabilizing it, it just looks so honest the way it is. Surprisingly, the bore looks amazingly good, after getting all of the dead bugs and dirt out.  The rifling is still sharp, with no serious pits.

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 10:25:59 AM »
Wow, Curt, it looks like you have another fantastic find!
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 12:56:48 AM »
Congratulations on a neat find. I look foreward to seeing them both at the Princeton show.   
JIM

Offline Ben I. Voss

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 01:24:28 AM »
That rifle found the right home!! Cool.

Mike Norin

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 07:40:14 PM »
Hey Curt , glad you found another rifle that came from a barn right here close . I didn't get a chance to talk much at the gunshow , you must have got the gun after I was at your table , I will see you at the Princton Longrifle Show  next weekend , hope to see that rifle........ Mike Norin

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 06:47:31 AM »
Mike, Yes the Hinsdale rifle arrived after you went by, and yes I will have it at the Prairie State Longrifle show on Feb. 24 & 25.  I was going to do a display of "Brunker" rifles, made in Ottawa, Illinois ( I now have 22 of them), but instead I'm going to bring mostly Illinois-made guns I've acquired since the show last August. I've been buying them like a drunken sailor....just ask my wife! The Brunker display will have to wait until next August.

Offline kentucky bucky

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 08:29:25 AM »
Great find. I kind of like the "barn grunge" on that latest prize.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:59:06 AM »
"Barn grunge"....me too, that's why I'm going to leave it that way.  It's one of those guns that makes you say "if only it could talk".