Author Topic: barrel inletting box plane  (Read 14168 times)

Offline TMerkley

barrel inletting box plane
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:47:53 PM »
Any one know where to get ahold of a barrel inletting box plane as was shown at the Martin's Station gun shop?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: barrel inletting box plane
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
I have purchased very similar planes at antique shops and malls, even flea markets.  I f you don't find exactly what you need, then you can get one that is close and modify it to suit your needs.
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline cmac

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 03:01:10 PM »
There are many places online that sell antique tools. Google search has turned up a good number of them for me, including these: http://www.oldtools.com/Stanley%20Tools.html and http://www.vintagetools.net/product.php?p=2006
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:05:59 PM by cmac »

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:34:25 AM »
Thanks guys.

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:21:39 AM »
I had to shop around for a long time, but I finaly found one that is ok on ebay. I has  a 5/8 blade that will cut a 3/4 chanel when worked to the sides. I still need to find one with a slightly smaller blade.
Eric Smith

Offline Kermit

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »
Make your own, folks. Do a search for "Krenov style plane." Look for kits, videos, information, photos. You can start with a kit, and the best I've seen are Hock, and they have videos here:

http://www.hocktools.com/videos.htm

Take a look at their "Products." The block plane is inexpensive and produces a most useful little tool. Have a look at their spokeshave kit while you're there.

I'll say it again--if you can build a gun, you for sure can build a plane!

"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

WMnBR

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 03:55:28 AM »
I found one on eBay, too.  I had to shape the wood portion and the blade, but it works well.  The toughest part was cleaning off the half-gallon of paint that dried on one side of it...   >:(

The thought strikes me to find a small one for ramrod grooves.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 04:06:59 AM by WMnBR »

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »
Chech out the post made by Snyder in the for sale column. I got a ramrod plane from him and it is a dandy.
Eric Smith

ole one shot

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 05:15:20 AM »
I also learned this at Williamsburg many moons ago .....simply get an old WOOD flat plane to the size of the barrel your channeling. put a barrel against the end and mark the angle of the octagon. do the same with the plane blade. now file the wood edges of the plane to the end marks which will resemble a half of octagon. Now shape the blade half octagon as well. Then bevel sharpen the edges of the blade. Stay with the exact marks for barrel size fore over time the plane will break in perfect to drop your straight barrel tightly in the channel. I have bought my flat planes from antique shops to ebay and never had to pay more than 10 to 12 dollars for them and I have at least one for every barrel size. I also have round planes to channel ramrods of all sizes. After preliminary chiseling and chunking out the channel these planes do wonders and save enormous time and the barrel fit is as tight as frog hair.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 06:55:44 PM »
Let me know if you ever find one that does swamped barrels!!!