Author Topic: NEW BOOK: Art DeCamp's Pennsylvania Screw-tip Powder Horns *Photos added 2/20/12  (Read 10545 times)

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Like many students and collectors  of the American Longrifle, I have an affinity for powder horns, particularly screw-tip and turned-tip horns.  I just had the privilege of seeing  a galley copy of the Pennsylvania “Horns of the Trade” - Screw-tip Powder Horns and Their Architecture, by Arthur J. DeCamp.   As I post this, the book is on the presses.

A long-time student of powder horns and himself a master horner,  Art DeCamp is uniquely qualified to research and write this book.  His understanding and description of historical and geographic context is most impressive.  With over 300 pages of text and excellent color photographs, the book depicts and describes in detail over 100 professionally made antique powder horns, giving dimensions and construction details.  

Through his years of study, examination of many hundreds of original horns and discussions with other knowledgeable horn collectors, Art has categorized horns into those made in, or influenced by , some 14 distinct geographical areas in Pennsylvania.  Horn shops in those areas produced many thousands of horns from the mid 18th until the late 19th centuries.  Many Pennsylvania-made horns were carried or shipped for resale all over America., undoubtedly having  an influence on horners, both professional and amateur,  outside Pennsylvania.

In this soon-to-be classic reference book, Art depicts and describes not only architectural details but, being a master horner himself, he sees and describes construction details that many of us would otherwise miss.  Those construction details, of course, make geographical and even maker attribution possible.  

Published by the Kentucky Rifle Foundation, the book is expected to be available for shipment by February 29.  Following last year’s  publication of Moravian Gun Making, the Kentucky Rifle Foundation again makes a significant contribution to knowledge and the longrifle culture with this publication of Art DeCamp’s monumental guide to Pennsylvania screw-tip powder horns.  Thank you, Art.  And thank you, KRF!

Copies may be ordered by sending check or money order for $100.00 ($89.00 plus $11.00 shipping and handling) to Kentucky Rifle Foundation, PO Box 768532-ALR, Roswell, GA 30076.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.

**See photo samples from the book added 2/20/12 as a reply to this post** 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 04:53:12 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Wayne Elliott

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: NEW BOOK: Art DeCamp's Pennsylvania Screw-tip Powder Horns
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 02:39:12 AM »
Well that's good news!
Will any signed copies be available?

John
John Robbins

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 07:18:35 AM »
John, I checked and the answer is yes- there will be a limited supply of signed books available to ship.  I expect more signed copies can be arranged later and I'm sure Art will be glad to autograph any books when he is at shows, etc.
Wayne Elliott

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:32:15 AM »
Some previews from Art's book.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

wbgv

I picked up ,my copy,on Friday,at the Horners Guild meeting/show...yes,it's a little steep in price for the casual collector/maker,but it IS worth every penny plus some....thank you Art and all who helped in its making...

Offline Fullstock longrifle

I'm looking forward to getting this book, from all I've heard about it, it exceeds expectations.

FK

Offline Karl Kunkel

Picked up a copy Friday in Carlisle at the HCH Guild Show.  I haven't had a lot of time to look it over yet, but I think this will be one of those books people will be searching the internet looking for copies in a few years.
Kunk

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Excellent and well worth it . Interesting, I asked him why so few were scrimmed and here is his ( Art DeCamp)answer:

"As I hope you can see from the book, shop made horns as addressed in the book were not engraved in the shops that made them, if they were engraved at all.  "Horns of the Trade" were made by little mini-manufatories who didn't have the time to do any engraving.

I don't think I have ever seen a shop made horn that was engraved by the same shop that produced it.  Very few are engraved and they were either done by the owner, or were taken to a professional engraver who did the work on commission to the owner."

I received my copy today, I highly recommend it.

Frank

Downeastboy

Received a copy about a week ago - truly amazing.    Well done, Art!

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
How much is the book?
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline HIB

Brian,  Art DeCamp's book 'Pennsylvania, Horns of the Trade' sells for $89 plus $11 s&h. It has already been described as a classic. The book is available via the mail or at many of the affiliate KRA/CLA shows. Not sure where you live but the Kentucky Rifle Foundation will have the book at the CLA show in August and Dixon's this summer to name a few. It will also be available at the annual KRA meeting next month.

There are several full page ads in the latest issue of Muzzleloader Mag. and also a review and ad posted on Jan and Art Riser Contemporary site. You can also find more  info on the Kentucky Rifle Foundations Web page.

To order: send a check or money order to Kentucky Rifle Foundation, PO Box 768532, Roswell, GA  30076. Delivery now takes about 2 weeks.

Thanks for asking,  KRF

Offline HIB

Gentlemen,  With refference to the above post the complete Kentucky Rifle Foundation product offering of books and CD's can be reviewed on the KRF web page
http://kentuckyriflefoundation.org or www.kentuckyriflefoundation.org, which ever works best for your system.  Regards, HIB     

Offline hornturner

Just a quick update to say that I will be selling and signing copies of the book at History Meets the Arts in Gettysburg, PA sponsored by Lord Nelson's Gallery this weekend.  June 15 & 16, 2012.

Look for my display at the Fire Hall, near downtown Gettysburg.  Noon to 7:00 p.m. on Friday, June 15 and from 10: a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.

There will also be a few new contemporary horns for sale! 

Online Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Just a quick update to say that I will be selling and signing copies of the book at History Meets the Arts in Gettysburg, PA sponsored by Lord Nelson's Gallery this weekend.  June 15 & 16, 2012.

Look for my display at the Fire Hall, near downtown Gettysburg.  Noon to 7:00 p.m. on Friday, June 15 and from 10: a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday, June 16.

There will also be a few new contemporary horns for sale! 
Note the book signing for this weekend. Great book.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

I just got my copy, it was well worth the wait, congratulations Art and the KRF!

Frank

Offline hornturner

Just a quick update:

I'll be at Dixon's near Kempton, PA this weekend July 27, 28 & 29.

Copies of the book will be available, and I'll be signing books on request.

Hope to see you there!