Author Topic: Art DeCamp's book on PA Screw tip horns  (Read 7949 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Art DeCamp's book on PA Screw tip horns
« on: February 15, 2012, 02:24:31 AM »

NEW BOOK: Art DeCamp's Pennsylvania Screw-tip Powder Horns
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:53:31 PM »         
Like many students and collectors  of the American Longrifle, I have an affinity for powder horns, particularly screw-tip and turned-tip horns.  I just had the privilege of seeing  a galley copy of the Pennsylvania “Horns of the Trade” - Screw-tip Powder Horns and Their Architecture, by Arthur J. DeCamp.   As I post this, the book is on the presses.

A long-time student of powder horns and himself a master horner,  Art DeCamp is uniquely qualified to research and write this book.  His understanding and description of historical and geographic context is most impressive.  With over 300 pages of text and excellent color photographs, the book depicts and describes in detail over 100 professionally made antique powder horns, giving dimensions and construction details.  

Through his years of study, examination of many hundreds of original horns and discussions with other knowledgeable horn collectors, Art has categorized horns into those made in, or influenced by , some 14 distinct geographical areas in Pennsylvania.  Horn shops in those areas produced many thousands of horns from the mid 18th until the late 19th centuries.  Many Pennsylvania-made horns were carried or shipped for resale all over America., undoubtedly having  an influence on horners, both professional and amateur,  outside Pennsylvania.

In this soon-to-be classic reference book, Art depicts and describes not only architectural details but, being a master horner himself, he sees and describes construction details that many of us would otherwise miss.  Those construction details, of course, make geographical and even maker attribution possible.  

Published by the Kentucky Rifle Foundation, the book is expected to be available for shipment by February 29.  Following last year’s  publication of Moravian Gun Making, the Kentucky Rifle Foundation again makes a significant contribution to knowledge and the longrifle culture with this publication of Art DeCamp’s monumental guide to Pennsylvania screw-tip powder horns.  Thank you, Art.  And thank you, KRF!

Copies may be ordered by sending check or money order for $100.00 ($89.00 plus $11.00 shipping and handling) to Kentucky Rifle Foundation, PO Box 768532-ALR, Roswell, GA 30076.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 10:20:25 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Re: NEW BOOK : Art DeCamp's book on PA Screw tip horns
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 05:57:23 PM »
Some previews from Art's book.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Excellent book. Especially helpful for a non-horner, I was curious and so I asked Art About "engraving or scrimming, being rare and here is his answer:

"As I hope you can see from the book, shop made horns as addressed in the book were not engraved in the shops that made them, if they were engraved at all.  "Horns of the Trade" were made by little mini-manufatories who didn't have the time to do any engraving.

I don't think I have ever seen a shop made horn that was engraved by the same shop that produced it.  Very few are engraved and they were either done by the owner, or were taken to a professional engraver who did the work on commission to the owner."