Author Topic: Wierd muzzle treatment  (Read 9622 times)

Daryl

Wierd muzzle treatment
« on: December 01, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
Well, I got wild with my muzzle crown. First, I created a fairly short, but radical funnel for the first 3/8" of the crown and shot it that way last Sunday. Since my shooting was about average for me on the trail, I decided the accuracy wasn't hurt.  I used a tapered reamer bought at a surplus store. It starts at a point and rapidly angles out to 1".

On Saturday, while thinking about the Heine muzzles and how 'different' they looked and being somewhat lazy I decided to do a bit of a 'different crown on the .40's muzzle.  I shot yesterday with the 'boys' and did quite well however found I had to increase the length of the initial starting 'stud' on my short starter.  I like to get the patched ball down far enough so the cloth doesn't 'grab' on the starter's end, also made from a ctg. case with a slight extractor groove. the groove and corresponding 'rim' catches the patch and makes it difficult sometimes, to withdraw the starter after seating the ball down the 6 to 7" of the starter's length.

Here's the crown in all it's glory on the 7/8" barrel.  Wouldn't know it's a .40 form the side - or the front for that matter.

Oh yeah- forgot to mention- since I'm somewhat lazy, I used my Dremel tool with diamond stones. The diamond stones were in a set of 12 purchased at the same Surplus store called, Princess Auto - I call it Trinket Auto - might not be a politically correct name - oh well. They have a lot of great stuff there from auto parts and tools to weedwhackers, chainsaws - computer parts - wiring- well, almost everything for everyone - somewhere.  I used an 1/8" x 3/8" long diamond stone for the grooves and a ball-end diamond for the round holes.  It's a bit rough, not perfect- well, about normal for a 10 minute job. See- i was aiming for the centre of the flats and managed 2 of the grooves right - out of 8 - perfect!  ::)

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 10:29:23 PM by Daryl »

caliber45

Re: Wierd muzzle treatment
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 02:25:23 AM »
Dang, Daryl, you do live on the edge. Must be that LaBattes. - paulallen

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 02:40:13 AM »
Whole lot goin' on there!  ;D

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 04:19:52 AM »
When he first showed it to me I thought to myself...well, there goes his accuracy!  But he didn't miss many targets on the trial yesterday.  Maybe four of nearly seventy shots.  And they were usually the close easy ones.  The furthest on the trail is a cylinder 10" x 10" @ 109 lasered yards.  He hit that one twice in a row - made it look easy.  All our shots are offhand naturally.  I'll be interested to see how he makes out on paper.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

david50

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 05:24:31 AM »
i like it !

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 05:54:05 AM »
I like it also!  I'd be affraid to do it to any of mine simply because I have nowhere
the talent that Daryl has for such things.  I am impressed with it!  Very nice indeed.

northmn

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
Fascinating!

DP

William Worth

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2008, 04:05:06 PM »
Daryl, isn't it a little early in the season for cabin fever to kick in?   ;D

I think I'll go torture some of my guns awhile and polish a bore or something.  :D

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2008, 04:16:53 PM »
Pretty NASTY! Pretty COOL too! I like it too!
Tom C.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
Uuuuggggglllllleeeeee!    And you gotta look at her all the time!! ;D

But sounds like she shoots ::)

R. Hare

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2008, 06:20:47 PM »
Might be a bit of a B.... to keep clean, but if she shoots, she shoots!!

Daryl

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2008, 07:05:42 PM »
 Interesting - it's probably only good for cracking walnuts or tightening lug nuts.
 I did a bit of a test yesterday, on paper.  I am getting the odd flyer which might be attributed to the wierd breaching system on this rifle. It doesn't have a solid tang with plug - but the tang has a projection stud that fits the plug that's in the barrel's breech. The plug is no other than a recess socket bolt. There is nothing but the barrel lug pins that keep the barrel in the stock, along with whatever help the loose fitting projection is. This means it's free to move under recoil and it does. I'm either going to put in a proper tang and plug- (best case) or dovetail in one or two recoil plates in the bottom flat and glass them into the forend. I may do that any way, and replace the cuttent tang with a proper one.
  As you can imagine the current system throws flyers - sometimes I can shoot 5 or even 10 shot groups, no flyers - other times a flyer will be out 3" at 50 yards for no reason in every group withperfect holds - drives me up the wall, sometimes.
  As to the wierd crown - it doesn't effect accuracy that I can tell. The muzzle is coned about 3/8" deep.
 The grease I built from beeswax/olive oil and neetsfoot oil was too heavy - and thick - though very, well, greasy & slick.  There was a tendency to punch the ball right through the .0215" denim, although there was never any fouling buildup in the barrel and the fouling always was soft,even with blown or torn up patches. The wierd crown sure packed up with grease - temp about 36F.

LHV shot the best,  of course. Got some tight grouping, but had flyers wrecking things with all combinations.  Best grouping came with only 60gr. 3F, .395" ball and .0215" denim - 10 oz.  This was the last group shot after perhaps 60 shots -  one flyer, maybe opened group to 1 1/8".

The more I shoot his rifle, the more flyers it is throwing. There was a time couple years ago, it threw no flyers at all - tight 1/2" to 3/4" 5 shot groups at 50 yards virtually every time.  A new tang with plug might solve the current difficulties.

Yesh, Roger - I think it's kind of ugly, but cute too. Kinda like a Pug or Boston Terrier, about as useful as well.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 07:19:19 PM »
Now you're talkin' nasty!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline markwi

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 04:51:12 AM »
I like it, it is different.  Mark

Offline Gene Carrell

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 10:51:27 AM »
That sounds like the Numrick Arms' breech that I used on my first rifle  in 1968 or so. Cast tang had a hex stud on it. My old rifle shot very well, but I undercut  the breech area  in the stock  (out of sight)  and glass bed the breech  end. Don't know if it helped, just did it.
Gene

Offline Don Steele

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 01:42:37 PM »
That took some skill alright..!!
Looks like a LONNNGGG Winter ahead up there...wonder what that barrel will look like in April...!!!
Look at the world with a smilin' eye and laugh at the devil as his train rolls by...(Alison Krauss)

Evil Monkey

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2008, 05:41:16 PM »
I think it's kind of ugly, but cute too. Kinda like a Pug or Boston Terrier, about as useful as well.

Now you're talkin' nasty!

;D ;D

Daryl

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2008, 06:47:51 PM »
As far as the .40 is concerned- I put the barrel away.  I've just put a solid tang into the .45 barrel and will shoot it  (probalby all winter) until I get a matching tang ordered and installed in the .40's breech.

Now, I just have ot decide what I'll do with the .45's muzzle??? -Probably leave it alone!

Daryl

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2008, 07:57:23 PM »
Or not.

Harnic

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 03:47:48 AM »
Interesting look there buddy!  Looks like the south end of a north bound Boston Terrier!  Sorry Heather, I couldn't resist! ;)

BuffaloGun

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 11:15:48 PM »
That definitely shows talent and imagination!
I admit I like it and it did suprise me that it did not affect accuracy. This could be a whole new area for experimentation and expression.
Maybe some variations on old PA Dutch designs?