Author Topic: Butt Plate Patch Box Release  (Read 6342 times)

Offline QuanLoi

Butt Plate Patch Box Release
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
The patchbox release mechanism for an Allentown Moll or Rupp rifle terminates in a button attached to a spring that passes through the buttplate.  My question is this:  after drilling through the buttplate and passing the spring through, how is the button attached to the spring extension?  Is it silver soldered in place?  If, for any reason the spring has to be removed, how is this achieved since the spring is held in place by the button?  I'm assuming the hole in the buttplate would be too narrow for the spring to travel through.

I hope this is clear and thanks for all the help I've received from this website.

Offline Tom Currie

Re: Butt Plate Patch Box Release
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 11:29:43 PM »
Typically the hole is large enough so that the narrow spring can turned on diagonal and be slid out and removed. The button attached to the spring covers the hole. This obviously makes silver soldering on the button much easier.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 03:25:47 AM »
This is a picture of a Beck release, but it is very similar to those riffles from Lehigh Co.  In fact, I've seen several Lehigh rifles that did not even have a bulbous end to the latch - just a small end of the steel sticking through the plate, with enough brass removed to allow it to move enough to trip the catch.  I forged the head of this latch "spring", but it's mild steel and has all of the spring action one could wish for...doesn't have to be spring steel in other words.  One can silver solder the head to the end to the latch, but it's neater if they are forged and filed.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 03:26:23 AM »
     The head is forged onto the spring when it is made.  The spring is fed through the elongated hole which allows the square area right under the head room to move up and down to accomplish latching the lid.  The other end of the spring is pointed an is inserted into a hole at the front of the patch box.  The arch of the spring applies sufficent tension to hold everyting into palce.  It works very well and was used in many areas other than the Lehigh Valley.
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:29:04 AM »
   Awh, Taylor,  J.P. did not use the screw to secure the spring, it was inserted into a hole pre started with a small chisle...You just didn't want to risk splitting that correct little ledge did you????

Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

• Member 3
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 03:45:20 AM »
You are absolutely correct Ron.  Here's a couple pics of originals to confirm your point.  I thought it might be more difficult to use a screw, and get the length perfect, so that's why I used the screw.  Boy, ya' can't get away with nothin' around here!!  Ha!!!

D. Taylor Sapergia

Offline JDK

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 03:52:35 AM »
I thought it might be more difficult to use a screw, and get the length perfect, so that's why I used the screw.

Some guys just can't pass up a challenge. ;) I do like the way you think.  J.D.
J.D. Kerstetter

Offline QuanLoi

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:56 AM »
Perfect!!  Thanks for answering my question... the knowledge and wisdom that exists within this forum is prodigious indeed!

Offline deano

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:37:22 AM »
Mr. Sapergia, I have to ask, what's the extra hole in the front of your patchbox cavity about?

Also will a full size Snickers Bar fit in a JP Beck patchbox cavity with the spring ledge?

Ken

ERH

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:53 PM »
thanks for posting the pic. of the original beck patch box that's what i am working on right now . got any more pic of that rifle would love to see them ;D ;D ;D
thanks again

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:50:34 PM »
The hole is called a "prayer hole".  A prayer or bible verve important to the owner was written on a piece of paper, rolled up and inserted into the hole.

Eric, I have saved every image of original and lots of contemporary Beck rifles since I joined this site.  There are too many to post now, and lots of them are still in the Virtual Museum.  If there's something special you need, pls. e-mail me sapergia@shaw.ca, and I'll send them along that-a-way.
D. Taylor Sapergia

Tony Clark

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:11:20 PM »
The hole is called a "prayer hole".  A prayer or bible verve important to the owner was written on a piece of paper, rolled up and inserted into the hole.

Yes, and the Atheists would put a detachable ramrod worm in it... actually, I suspect many of the religious people did too.

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 12:55:10 AM »
Prayer hole eh?  And there I thought Taylor had started using a tang bolt to hold the barrel snug into the inletting and to reinforce the wrist!  
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:56:31 AM by Jerry V Lape »