Author Topic: KIK powder  (Read 3995 times)

FRJ

KIK powder
« on: March 20, 2012, 02:33:15 AM »
My blackpowder supplier tells me that Goex had an explosion and they do not have any 3F at this time. He tells me that he does have a powder called KIK available. I've never heard of it and was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of it and if so what is your evaluation of it? Thanks a bunch. FRJ

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: KIK powder
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:07:29 AM »
My blackpowder supplier tells me that Goex had an explosion and they do not have any 3F at this time. He tells me that he does have a powder called KIK available. I've never heard of it and was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of it and if so what is your evaluation of it? Thanks a bunch. FRJ
The kik shot lousy in my rifle and a comparison test was written up in M Blasts a couple or three years ago. If you like to hear gypsy music when you crank open the can of it try it.  I wouldn't........

The other DWS

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 04:25:07 AM »
/www.goexpowder.com/GoexinvestingPR.pdf     according to their website they had an incident last year.

I was not aware of any current product shortages.  You might try a few other goex vendors.    Sometimes a local shop can't get a supply from one vendor or another for any number of reasons.  Sometimes they come up with odd explanations.

Locally we had one shop that had aparantly made a real profitable buy of brand X's powders so they stopped selling brand Y"s product, blaming the change on "shipping probems  (we also found out later they were COD with the Brand Y's distributor)------- ::)

jamesthomas

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 10:56:32 PM »
 I shoot 65 grns of 3fff KIK in my .50 cal. shoots just as good as the Swiss and cleans up just as easy. I would get some if I was looking for some 3fff. P.S. Even the 1.5 KIK I picked up  awhile back shot very good, used 80grns. but I had to swab about every 3rd shot, it was still as accurate as goex 2ff though.

FRJ

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 01:11:54 AM »
I just checked with Powder Inc and 3F is backordered until the 27th of March and 4F until later than that. Guess my supplier wasn't lying after all. I can wait till after the end of March. FRJ

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 01:32:40 AM »
www.jackspowderkeg.com

might give them a call and see if they have any stock on hand.  you might get lucky

FRJ

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 01:49:30 AM »
There is some really good research out there that I didn't know existed. I do now. Goex is not going to have much of anything available till approx the end of April according to what I just read.
KIK is a european powder that doesn't measure up to Goex or Swiss in the accuracy dept but does produce higher velocities and is cleaner burning, also according to what I just read.
I just went to Goexpowder.com and searched from there. FRJ

Daryl

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:58:44 AM »
That's interesting information FRJ.  Many times, when someone makes a change - any change, they don't go to the work of load developement again dupicating earlier expeirments except for that one change.  Most just use the same patch and powder charge they used before the change.  Many times, changing one thing requires totally new testing - and the results many times even better, can be quite interesting too.