Author Topic: Old horn  (Read 3680 times)

Trkdriver99

Old horn
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:31:07 PM »
These are pictures of an old horn that the plumber found in the crawl space under an old home in upper ETN. Some of the initials match the orignal owner of the home. The say a powder horn, but I think a blowing horn. For your thoughts.

Ronnie
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 12:17:52 AM by Ky-Flinter »

omark

Re: Old horn
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:54:06 PM »
just looking at it, i would guess a blowing horn, but i dont know "squat".    mark

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 07:52:11 PM »
Thank you for posting this. It is a pretty fine piece of early Americana. Wonder how it wound up under the house? Kids hid it there, maybe. It is almost certainly a calling horn given that the spout is hollowed out and is somewhat wide. Took an expert set of lips to blow that thing, but if you wanted the kids to come down off the hills for supper, or to bring the dogs in on a hunt, it was well nigh indispensible. Do you think that you can track down some history on it?
Dick

Ahtuwisae

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »
Definitely a calling/blowing horn.  Nice piece of history there.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 01:13:37 AM »
 Almost looks like it started life as a powder horn and was later converted to blowing. Looks like a nail hole in the one side close to the base, since the rest of the horn is gone that is a guess. The other nails may have been an earlier patch.
 Thanks for posting it.

Tim C. 

Rkymtn57

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 04:03:21 AM »
Mind if I ask the last name of the owner.....Dickerson ?  :)

Trkdriver99

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 10:59:56 PM »
I don't think Dickerson is the name. A friend took the pictures at a meeting I was at on Saturday in Greeneville, TN and sent them to me and I ask if it would be ok to post here.  I don't remember what it was. I will try to get some more history on it if I can. I thought it was very interesting and I thought you folks would likeit too.

Ronnie