Author Topic: Longrifles with Masonic Symbols  (Read 20668 times)

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
Re: Longrifles with Masonic Symbols
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
Kurt,
I agree, if Brunker was a brother he would not put the symbols on the rifle of somebody outside the craft.
Buck

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »
That's a very good deduction. 
I would guess that he did do a good business building rifles for fellow Masons if he made a stamp for them. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Peter White Patchbox with Masonic compass
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:26:08 PM by Ky-Flinter »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Buck

• A.F.A.M. # 934, Trinity Commandry #80
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2012, 05:17:52 AM »
Rob,
Great box, it is possible that it is Masonic, I would lean toward yes but in parallel with todays symbolism it is missing a symbolor twofor the slam dunk. I would point out that the finial although has a floral finial it also is in the shape of the AEth  Fire.
Buck

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2012, 05:46:23 AM »
A friend of mine formerly owned an exceptionally fine rifle, made by Zachariah Albright, Jr., that had an "all-seeing eye" on the patchbox finial.  Although this was a traditional fullstock, with full patchbox, it was dated 1876, which would be after Z. A., Jr. moved to Iowa.

Offline Habu

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 06:15:54 PM »
I've seen two rifles by Rotten of Nebraska City that had Masonic symbols engraved on them (the compass and square on one, compass/square/star on the other).  The second one was clearly engraved by a professional engraver, so I'm not sure if it was done at the time of building or later. 

I've heard of--but not seen--a rather fancy Birringer rifle that was supposedly built for a Master Mason in the post-Civil War era.  Last I heard it was somewhere in the Topeka area.