Author Topic: Henderson County North Carolina Iron Mounted Rifle - New Info added  (Read 5503 times)

Offline gibster

Here is an iron mounted rifle that I recently picked up in "as found condition"  The lady that owned it was in her 80's and it had been in her family as far back as she could remember.  The coloration of the wood looks to be Walnut, but the grain structure looks more like straight grain Maple.  It has a red tint to it like it was stained with a red varnish.  The finish is original to the rifle.  When I got it, it was missing the ram rod and the drum was broken off at the breech.  From looking at it, it was broken a long time ago.  The rear of the trigger plate was dropped down a little and the rear trigger arm was wedged against the sear to the point that neither the triggers or the lock would function.  I have since removed the lock and triggers, cleaned the grim from the inside and they now function great.  I had an original drum and nipple that I installed on the rifle and have also made a replacement ram rod for it.  There was also a crack at the middle ram rod thimble where the pin holds it to the stock that I removed the barrel for and stabilized.  The bottom of the barrel shows hammer marks from where it was forged.  The barrel is about a .40 caliber and has a slight swamp, measuring .855 at the breech, .790 about 8-inches from the muzzle and .865 at themuzzle.  Yes, the muzzle is larger than the breech.  The barrel length is 43 3/8-inches long and is still original length..  It has the initials J W in script on the top flat.  The W is very faint.  Tried to get a picture of it but it dosen't show up very well.  It has a short length of pull, only 12-inches.  The cheek piece is very concave.  Very nice ram rod thimbles and nice file work on the heel of the butt plate and on the toe plate.  It has a poured nose cap.  Overall, a nice southern rifle that I feel was made in, or close to Henderson County North Carolina.  There were a two or three gunsmiths that worked in Henderson County with the initials J W and I would like to narrow it down to one of them if possible.  So if any of you have, or know of a rifle that matches this one with a full signiture, I sure would like to know.  As always, opinions welcomed.  These pictures are of the rifle before I did anything to it, complete with dust and grime ;D.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 05:59:38 AM by gibster »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Henderson County North Carolina Iron Mounted Rifle
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 01:39:26 PM »
Excellent find! Lets see some pictures after you repaired/restored it. Please.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Sequatchie Rifle

• Global Moderator
  • F. & A.M. Helion #1; 3rd SFG(ABN)
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 02:24:40 PM »
Wondeful rifle!  Thanks for sharing it.
"We fight not for glory, nor riches nor honors, but for freedom alone, which no good man gives up except with his life.” Declaration of Arbroath, 1320

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:29:36 PM »
Wow, what a dandy!  The iron work especially the thimbles is so nicely done.  Terrific find.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Just goes to show, there are still a lot of originals still out there waiting to be found, like the JP Beck that was found last year in PA.  This is just another example--wish I could find an 80 year old woman that has an original rifle that I could buy.  Really nice find!!!! Congratulations.

timM

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
Gibster,

Thank you for the posting!  Made my day.  tim

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 12:31:23 AM »
What a great find, lucky guy!

So let's see some pics of it now!

John
John Robbins

Offline gibster

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 05:59:13 AM »
Thanks for the comments on the rifle.  I just got off the phone with a collector in North Carolina and he said that he is 99% sure that the rifle was made by John Wishon.  Jerry Nobel has him listed in Henderson County NC in 1850.  But records show that he worked in Gilmer County, Georgia.  The guy I spoke with seemed to think that John Wishon had a connection with the Gillespie's.   Whether this rifle was made in Henderson County NC or in Gilmer County Georgia, I think it is one that I will hang on to for quite some time.  I have had a couple of contacts to see if it was for sale.  Sorry guys, it's not ;D.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Very nice rifle - my first thought was Joseph Whitson Jr. based on the hardware and architecture. There were a number of Whitson gunmakers in that era.

Guy

Offline WElliott

• member 2
Nice find, Gibster!
Wayne Elliott

Offline LynnC

Re: Henderson County North Carolina Iron Mounted Rifle - New Info added
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 06:39:40 PM »
Nice Rifle!

I'm about 99% sure the stock is cherry.  My best guess anyway.

You are a lucky fellow ;)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 12:04:49 AM by LynnC »
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......