Author Topic: Pocket Pistol - Thoughts?  (Read 3180 times)

Offline Elnathan

Pocket Pistol - Thoughts?
« on: May 24, 2012, 04:47:42 AM »
I got a pleasant surprise few weeks ago. One of the older ladies in my church said that she had an old, possibly Civil War era, pistol that had belonged to her father-in-law, and would I be interested in looking at it? From her description I knew it was a muzzleloading pocket pistol and thought she might have a Derringer or one of his imitators with a missing triggerguard, if it wasn't an old decoration or something of that nature. The next week, she shows me this:

Barrel length is about 4.75 from the front of the pan to the end of the muzzle, bore is about .48
Overall length is about 8 3/4"

I am guessing that this one dates to the first quarter of the nineteenth century. It is not a screw-barrel, but does have what looks like a welding seam where one would expect the screw to be:

It looks like it is complete, apart from a missing catch for the bayonet. It of course never had a triggerguard, but it does have a sliding safety - that fence thingy on top of the lock area that goes around the cock  and engages with a hole in the frizzen. Along with the remains of some floral engraving, there is a mark on the barrel. Unfortunately, it is partially worn away, but I can still make out an oval with an E over an illegible letter and a G.

If anyone has any idea when or where this was made, both the owner and I would be interested in hearing it. She would also be interested in knowing how much it might be worth, though she does not intend to sell it. Thanks.

Elnathan
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Pocket Pistol - Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 05:28:47 AM »
You're right about 1st quarter of the 19th century... I'd say 1816 to about 1830. Its an inexpensive Belgian product.

Offline JIM FRANCIS

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 05:35:59 AM »
PISTOL WAS MADE IN BELGIUM. ELG IS THE BELGIAN PROOF MARK. MY GUESS, PROBABLY WAS MADE 1810 TO 1830. LOW VALUE AS THERE ARE A LOT OUT THERE AND THIS ONE IS IN PRETTY ROUGH CONDITION.  HOPE THIS HELPS.    REGARDS, JIM FRANCIS

Offline Elnathan

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 03:51:37 AM »
Thank you, gentlemen. I will convey this information to the owner of the piece.
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition -  Rudyard Kipling

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 04:43:18 PM »
Unless I'm not seeing this thing correctly. This gun doesn't have a folding trigger, and there appears to be some inlets in the bottom of the frame that probably accepted a trigger guard. Pocket pistols without a trigger guard usually have a folding trigger.

Hungry Horse

oakridge

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 07:22:10 PM »
Hungry Horse,
I agree. And, you can see discoloration on the bottom of the frame where the trigger guard goes.