Author Topic: john parks  (Read 8140 times)

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
john parks
« on: May 28, 2012, 05:55:38 AM »
Although I found an interesting piece at this site re John Parks Jr., I have found relatively little re John Parks Sr. I would be most appreciative to learn the following re Sr: 1. When did he work? 2. What are some of the typical characteristics of his guns?; 3. Relative to his contempoaries what is the quality of his work?; 4. What is the value range for Parks Sr. rifles? Thanks.

Offline Don Getz

Re: john parks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 04:15:43 PM »
From the information compiled by Mark Laudenslager, John Parks Sr. worked in the period 1820 - 1845.  He is shown to
live in Penn Township.   Penn Township was then a part of Union County, but became a part of Snyder County when this
split was made.  Without looking at a current map of Snyder County, I think it is in the Selinsgrove area..........Don

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 08:27:41 PM »
Don, Thanks for info re Parks Sr.   

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:30:48 AM »
rbs,
Do you have a John Park rifle? If so, could you post some pictures?

I have a rifle I bought some time ago, as a John Park made rifle. It's signed on the barrel JP in script. Seems John Park Jr might have signed his JPjr, but I haven't see enough to honestly know one way or the other.
The gun I have is incised carved on both ends of the cheek piece, has a nice side plate similar to what S Baum might have done, and is a percussion, maybe original, maybe not, but will stay as a percussion while I have it. The rifle is also broken in two pieces through the lock area, but is slowly being put back whole again.
Sorry, I don't have any good pics of it right now.

John 
John Robbins

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 06:34:33 PM »
John,

I don't have a parks rifle. Hope all is well for you.  Rick

Offline Loudy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 02:42:58 AM »
RBS,

I wish I knew more about John Parks Sr.  The few guns I've seen by him were well made.  Below is the full extent of the information that I've been able to gather on him.  I hope somebody is able to add more here.

Mark Loudenslager

John Parks, Sr.
Born:   abt. 1790 Ireland
Died:   1846 probably Penn Township, Union County, Pennsylvania

John Parks, Sr. is listed as a gunsmith in Penn Township, Union County (now Snyder County) tax lists in 1820, 1823, 1826, 1829, 1832, 1835, 1838, and 1841.  He was assessed in 1826 as a tenant on land owned by Henry Laudenslager and having a log house and a log shop.  John Parks, Sr. was assessed in 1829 as a tenant on land owned by Henry Ritter.  In 1842, 1844, and 1845, John Parks, Sr. was assessed on income earned as a gunsmith in the tax records for Penn Township, Union County.  John Parks Sr. married a woman named Elizabeth.  Together they had four sons; John, James, Robert, and Levi.  John Parks Jr. took up the gunsmith trade from his father. Sons John Jr. and James stayed in Snyder County, while the other sons removed to Indiana.  According to 1850 census records, John Sr.’s wife Elizabeth lived in Elkart County, Indiana with his son Levi.  John Parks, Sr. signed his rifles “J*P” on the top barrel flat centered between the rear sight and the breech plug.  A rifle made by John Parks, Sr. is in the collection of the Packwood House Museum in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania. 

1850 Federal Census, Pennsylvania, Elkhart County, Concord Township
Widow Elizabeth Parks, age 63, b. PA; Levi Parks, age 23, occupation “Laborer”, b. PA

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 03:09:48 AM »
Not a great picture, but it's all that I have right now of the J * P signature on the barrel of my rifle.
John

John Robbins

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:45 PM »
Mark and John, thanks for further info and for photo. rick

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2012, 06:53:52 PM »
The Great Pinyone shared these photos of a signed John Parks rifle

This rifle, which is in excellent condition, has a brass four piece patchbox
with eleven piercings. The flint lock appears to be in excellent original
condition and is stamped "Atkins Warranted". The full octagon barrel is
signed "J.P." and the stock is curly maple wood. The rifle features a brass
comb inlay and a brass saddle plate. The cheek side of the butt is
attractively carves and the fore stock is attached to the barrel with four
barrel wedges, each surrounded by a silver inlay.  The lock is held in place
by two lock bolt screws, each with its own small washer shaped side plate.
The entire rifle is in marvelous condition with only a small repaired stress
crack forward of the lock plate. This is a wonderful example of the early
work of the school of gunsmithing collectors call the "Upper Susquehanna
School" which roughly encompasses the area from Snyder/Union County north

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:56:11 AM »
Rob, Thanks to GP and you for posting these pictures. Parks guns seem few and far between and this one is a fine example.

And since there's a lot of similarities between this one and mine, these pictures will help a lot in the repair on mine.

You wouldn't happen to have a shot of the barrel tang area would you? Also a shot of the initials on the barrel?

John
John Robbins

Offline rbs

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 06:23:02 AM »
Rob,

Thanks for your post re Parks rifle. Its very nice. What's its approximate caliber and barrel length? Thanks. Rick Schreiber

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2012, 05:50:12 PM »
Checking with owner for you guys.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2012, 07:59:58 PM »

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:19:09 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles

Offline Shreckmeister

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 10:40:34 PM »
The Parks rifle here and on Mike Simens website both show strong characteristics of
the  Baum rifles.  Too much to be coincidental.  Anyone know the relationship between
them?

rbs,
Do you have a John Park rifle? If so, could you post some pictures?

I have a rifle I bought some time ago, as a John Park made rifle. It's signed on the barrel JP in script. Seems John Park Jr might have signed his JPjr, but I haven't see enough to honestly know one way or the other.
The gun I have is incised carved on both ends of the cheek piece, has a nice side plate similar to what S Baum might have done, and is a percussion, maybe original, maybe not, but will stay as a percussion while I have it. The rifle is also broken in two pieces through the lock area, but is slowly being put back whole again.
Sorry, I don't have any good pics of it right now.

John 

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 12:30:17 AM »
Thanks for the tang and initial pictures Rob! Much appreciated!

John
John Robbins