Author Topic: Turn out yesterday at your club/clubs??  (Read 23382 times)

Offline Roger Fisher

Turn out yesterday at your club/clubs??
« on: June 11, 2012, 05:38:51 PM »
First Frontier shot yesterday, 17 shooters 4 or 5 other shooters had other things going.  Have you folks been keeping an eye out for drop off in shooters... ???

We were down 10 from our average for a one day shoot.

jimc2

Re: Turn out yesterday at your club/clubs??
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 05:45:37 PM »

roger you know leni and I would be there if we could the good Lord willing next year will be healthier

jimc2

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 05:47:44 PM »
This does bring up a point go,shoot enjoy while you can you never know whats around the corner DO IT WHILE YOU CAN

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 06:39:02 PM »
Same thing here, we had our 2-day shoot this past weekend, usually get around 15-18 shooters but this weekend we had 12 on Saturday and 11 on Sunday.... beats me, maybe gas, other things going on, wife says NO your not going.... who knows.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Frizzen

• Phil Piburn
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 08:48:39 PM »
We had a good turn out at our Missouri State Championship Shoot this weekend. About 60.
Daughter is 14 and she entered the women's pistol agg. She got second place. Only got beat
by Mom. Had several women shooters. Well it's off to Friendship for the week.
The Pistol Shooter

Lutes

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2012, 09:14:59 PM »
Our club is really struggling to keep enough shooters to hold shoots. Not sure what to do. Would love to hear what others are doing to keep interest up?

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2012, 12:58:55 AM »
It seems that all the rest of the ideas are just spinning our wheels, except (if you don't do this already) Travel to other shoots and jaw bone the shooters there to come in to your club and shoot and they might bring a friend along.  If 1 out of a dozen that you speak to shows up you are doing good... ::)

chuck-ia

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2012, 01:26:50 AM »
Been planning a shoot for july 1st, probably be lucky to have 14 shooters show up. The most we have had was 23, (last year) took us by surprize and had to do a bit of scrambling to have enough food at noon, when we were planning for around 15 at the most. Most people I have called are busy that weekend, a few put it on the calendar. There is 2 to 3 of us that try to put 2 shoots on a year, just doesn't seem to be the interest in our area. On the bright side, there is allso a few that won't miss our shoot. Because there is only 2-3 interested in putting a shoot on, we have made it pretty simple. We have 15 targets, charcoal on a sting, swinging pipe, swinging rabbit target, squirrel target that swings around a post, life size deer target with a tail that wags when hit in the vitals, pig that it's head will swing when hit in the vitals, knock down prairie dogs and such, each shooter has a score card and will score his own card. As you can tell this is not a blood and guts competition. We did try a shoot with paper targets and was just too much work for the 3 of us, scoring targets and all. We have put the word out to other clubs but they just don't show up, (yes we have been to their shoots). chuck

Jim Thomas

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2012, 06:32:13 AM »
Our May ham shoot  was down a half dozen or so from last year.         

Offline Luke MacGillie

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
Slightly off topic, but somewhat relevant.

Around where I am at in Southern Indiana, there are a number of clubs within an hours drive, and you could shoot every weekend, sometimes both days of a weekend if you wanted to.  But there is also a group of guys, we could call them the Retired guys Wed's shooting club who because of increased regulation and overbearing range officers, simply shoot on private property for their own pleasure and if they happen to blow down the barrel of their rifle after a shot its not a horrible safety offense that gets them thrown off the line and written about in the club newsletter...........

I wont deny that we are an aging sport, heck im 43, been doing this since I was 5 :D and have to do more to increase our numbers, but in this one instance, I think I can trace lower shoot numbers to the above reasons, not that the sport is "Dying"

Offline Habu

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »
But there is also a group of guys, we could call them the Retired guys Wed's shooting club who because of increased regulation and overbearing range officers, simply shoot on private property for their own pleasure and if they happen to blow down the barrel of their rifle after a shot its not a horrible safety offense that gets them thrown off the line and written about in the club newsletter...........

Yep, I suspect if I were in that area I'd be campaigning for early membership in the Retired Guys Weds Shooting Club . . . .  The habits of a lifetime are hard to break, particularly when there is no valid safety-related reason to do so, and good reasons not to do so. 

I have to admit that I find it amusing when folks ask, "Why don't you come to our shoots any more?"  I tell them I'm probably going to forget their range rules and get asked to leave again.  Almost invariably, they then say something like, "If you can't follow the rules, you shouldn't come.  But why don't you come to our shoots any more?"  ???

It is unfortunate that since for the most part I don't go to matches any more, the folks I help start shooting don't learn to see formal competition as part of the sport. 

Jim Thomas

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2012, 12:43:04 PM »

Around where I am at in Southern Indiana, there are a number of clubs within an hours drive, and you could shoot every weekend, sometimes both days of a weekend if you wanted to.  But there is also a group of guys, we could call them the Retired guys Wed's shooting club who because of increased regulation and overbearing range officers, simply shoot on private property for their own pleasure and if they happen to blow down the barrel of their rifle after a shot its not a horrible safety offense that gets them thrown off the line and written about in the club newsletter...........

I wont deny that we are an aging sport, heck im 43, been doing this since I was 5 :D and have to do more to increase our numbers, but in this one instance, I think I can trace lower shoot numbers to the above reasons, not that the sport is "Dying"

A club can lose shooters due to lax range rules also.           

Candle Snuffer

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2012, 03:45:38 PM »
Our club is really struggling to keep enough shooters to hold shoots. Not sure what to do. Would love to hear what others are doing to keep interest up?

Same here.  The price of powder and lead as well as gas prices, seems to be the common theme.  I cut our shooting schedule by one half this year from 8 to 4 shoots as everyone seemed to accept this as a good idea.  Hasn't done our club any good, most still don't show up.  I think a lot of our shooters just have other things to do that they deem more important.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2012, 04:22:15 PM »
Lutes;

Find the cutest little gal in town, and pay her to shoot at your event. All the guys will show up from 8 to 80, and all the women will show up to slap the fire out of you guys. Works for me.

Hungry Horse

Offline The Original Griz

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »
I think a lot of our shooters just have other things to do that they deem more important.

That is what the most of the guys say when they don't show up, got too involved with the honey do list. I can't seem to imagine that anything would or could take the place of a good bunch of fellows getting together to have such a good time and shoot flintlocks for a Sunday afternoon once a month. Maybe it is an age thing.
One of the guys asked for a photo of us according to age, heck I was 4 from the oldest. It seems that the younger crowd don't have the same attraction to this hobby as us seasoned guys do. But that is just my observation. Soccer, Football and the such seems to be pushed as more important now a days.
“I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
Thomas Jefferson
www.timsannerpowderhorns.com

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2012, 04:51:11 PM »
You are on the mark Griz.

zimmerstutzen

« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2012, 08:32:07 PM »
I did no shooting over the weekend.  I mowed, fluffed, raked, baled, and stacked 370 bales of hay in the barn, by myself.  (I ought to train the darn animals to do it) 

BUT, all the lifting and flinging bales is darn good cardio and strengthening for the shoulders for offhand shooting.

I'm looking forward to the Tomahawks' shoot in 11 days.  (big commute, three miles)

Several of the Clubs in this area do not advertise.  I end up hearing about them afterward.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 01:09:37 AM »
I did no shooting over the weekend.  I mowed, fluffed, raked, baled, and stacked 370 bales of hay in the barn, by myself.  (I ought to train the darn animals to do it) 

BUT, all the lifting and flinging bales is darn good cardio and strengthening for the shoulders for offhand shooting.

I'm looking forward to the Tomahawks' shoot in 11 days.  (big commute, three miles)

Several of the Clubs in this area do not advertise.  I end up hearing about them afterward.

Re: Your last sentence-Just maybe that they should get their clubs in to the Pa Federation and the booklet...

Lutes

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:51 AM »
Hungry horse. You might be on to something. LOL

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2012, 01:19:56 AM »

A club can lose shooters due to lax range rules also.           
Thats for sure!

Jim Thomas

« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2012, 02:25:54 AM »
One of our committees was holding a monthly shoot where safety was questionable.   Attendance dropped off.  That was what I was getting at.   Of course, that problem has been resolved.   

People offended about safety rules is just the price a club has to pay...   Not so different than reenactment events that hold participants to high standards.   Corrective before punitive.  The manner in which one corrects the infraction can play into how another accepts and reacts.         

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2012, 02:29:12 AM »
With all due respect to the gentlemen who have in their minds that blowing down the muzzle is ok.  Even a just fired muzzleloader, I will keep it civil and short.

1- I witnessed 2 misfires where the shooter then blew down the barrel LUCKY very lucky...15 or so yrs ago in  a southern state a lady shooter on the line had a flash in the pan then handed the rifle to hubby.  He blew down the barrel rifle fired killed the poor man.  Have you ever seen a shooter get so befuddled and excited that he or she really screwed up.. I did and so have you.

2- New shooters learn from  the experienced shooters good or bad and if they see the experienced folks blow down the muzzle they think that is okay.  Wrong.

3- Negligence is like garbage it attracts more...  The folks that take on the task of running shoots safely stick their necks out for us all and if an accident happens and they allowed unsafe actions to occur shoot after shoot and do nothing the trial lawyers will eat them up.

4- If you must blow down that barrel use a blow tube...

5- I post this info with all due respect to all the shooters out there and hope they can see the logic. and why we should not blow down that muzzle..  And yes we do shut the line down at 1st Frontier ML club and read the riot act to all the shooters including not to blow down the muzzle.  

6- I know of more than 1 club that was so lax on safety more than a couple shooters decided never to go there again...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 09:01:38 PM by Roger Fisher »

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2012, 04:32:10 AM »
I will say what I say because I am guilty of it myself but if we want more shooters we have to start preaching someplace other than the choir. We have to go across the street, down the street, anyplace we can get new and young shooters interested. If we have to we will have to give up some of our own personel shooting time and invite some kids and their folks out for free but safe shooting. Hopfully,we will plant some interest seeds. I'm taking two of my just graduated from hunter saftey students out to try and get them into traditional muzzleloading and shooting this weekend if weather permits.    Smylee   

Offline TMerkley

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2012, 08:44:27 AM »
I think, that there has been a lot of negative publicity towards all firearms that the younger generations think a person is crazy that likes to do this.  But, it is not everwhere.  Rural areas, farm boys, it is just the opposite.  Bigger cities,  some what,  depends on how a person was raised.  I started shooting at age 5.  I am 34 now, and trying to get out to shoot more my self.  The other half wants attention here at home, the jobs, and military want there time too.  Not enough hours in the day! and not enough places to shoot! TOO MANY HOUSES IN TOWN!

ken

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2012, 08:18:23 PM »
I know the range officer at Rogers shoot pretty well! It is a safe shoot and the rules are enforst with kindnest. I think we need to invite young people and give them a helping hand and not be so into winning ourselves. Someone did this for us we should return the faver