Author Topic: Whitetail bag  (Read 4364 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
Whitetail bag
« on: December 10, 2008, 05:28:09 PM »
Finally getting around to posting some pics of this, got it done a few months ago and been busy hunting.   ;)

I made it from skins I tanned off some whitetails from last season, pillow ticking lined flap, hemp strap, two pockets inside for flints and small stuff.  Pretty good sized bag, maybe 9x11", welted seams, gusset in the bottom.  I've been using a Curatan tanning compound from VanDyke's, it gives a pretty good feel to the deer skin, not too soft, and it takes a cider/nail stain in a cool antique looking pattern.  The trim on the flap is unstained leather from the same hide for comparison.  Rubbed on a thin coat of mink oil and it's all sealed and ready to go!

"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline RobertS

Re: Whitetail bag
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2008, 06:56:31 PM »
Nice work, thanks for showing it around!

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 02:19:11 AM »
I like the style, color and texture of your pouch. Looks very nice !

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2008, 02:22:16 AM »
 Nice job. Where did that strapping come from? I have some but am running low and I can't remember where I got it from.

Thanks, Tim C.

S.Willis

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2008, 02:27:57 AM »
Very nice work.

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
Thanks all!

Tim, I got the strapping at Turkey Foot Traders, had several widths in stock.
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

voyageur1688

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2008, 11:21:22 PM »
Nice work.
I havent tried that tanning agent yet but I have used several different tanning methods and have 2 I prefer. If I am wanting the hide tanned faster, I use the egg tanning and if I am bored and want to just take my time on it I will use the Ivory Soap and Neatsfoot Oil methods. I have used them on hides ranging from raccoon to moose and have had great luck with them. The softness of the tanning depends on how much you break the grain after the tanning is done. After the hide is softened, I either dye them or just use the smoking for color.  The nice thing with the egg tanning is that it is the same as the braintanning without the wait or the smell. The proteins in egg are the same as those in the brain, so it is all natural and will give a better result than comercial tannings will.
 Todd