Author Topic: "GUNMAKERS of the UPPER SUSQUEHANNA" ..... A NEW BOOK (update 6.29.12)  (Read 13510 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
The URL below will lead you to a new and the only  book on "Gunmakers of the Upper Susquehanna".
It was resarched, compiled and edited by Richard Nornhold, Jr, Mark Loudenslager, Bruce Miller, Fred Garner and many others who contributed.
Please enjoy and add to this effort, when possible, by sending pictures of other Upper Susquehanna guns and information to fgarner@verizon.net. This presentation can be updated and edited at any time. Ownership of guns ,as always , on the ALR will remain anonymous.

This book will remain permanently on this site with free access to all. Please read the Preface" to understand how to access all the information and pictures. Your suggestions as to how the book can be improved are welcome.

Click on the URL:  

http://hurricanenordgallery.com/

Have a Happy Fathers Day!

Fred Garner, M.D.
"Hurricane"
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 09:50:50 PM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: "GUNMAKERS of the UPPER SUSQUEHANNA" ..... A NEW BOOK
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
In the article it states "If a line was drawn straight back from the top of the barrel to a point above the butt end of the gun, this line would not intersect the “nose” of the gun.  The distance from that line to the nose is known as the “drop”

To what point above the butt end?  Is it to the top of the buttplate?

This is a great reference tool and much appreciated!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 09:16:56 PM by Suzkat (Rob) »
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 08:18:37 PM »
Great online reference and a great idea. I was able to use this to identify one of my rifles that I know has been restocked from that area. looking forward to seeing thisgrow over the years to come.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Online jdm

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 08:30:21 PM »
Gentlemen,   Thank you for your hard work. I know it took quite a bit of time and research to put it together. This Will be a good reference in an area that needed it .   GREAT JOB!     JIM
JIM

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:47:56 PM »
Good start on an area that needs more exposure. Some nice rifles  come from that area.
 I was surprised to see John Derr included and not Henry Mauger. Those two have many similarities . Somehow I never considered them to be from that region though.
 Any word on A. Daniels?

Offline fm tim

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:32:35 PM »
A tremendous thanks for all of the work involved in this.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 03:23:13 AM »
A great idea! It seems no one had previously approached this subject as a category all its own. I once owned an "A. Daniels" that was certainly from this region.  I believe Don Stith saw it, in fact.  I think I might be able to track it down for some photos, but I'm not promising anything.  I saw a very ornate William Laudeslager rifle at Friendship last week.  The owner carried it through the commercial row, trying to find some information on it.  He took my card and said he would contact me for further information. I was able to tell him who made it, but didn't have detailed info with me.  I did get some photos of it, but would of course, need his permission to submit them for use here.

Offline Don Stith

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 05:59:45 PM »
Curt
I'd love to see pictures of the A Daniels. I have two of my own if anyone is interested. There is also the butt/box of one in Chandlers first patchbox book. It is number 220 on page 122. They misidentify it as  H Dunkle

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Additional gun pictures and corrections/changes made on 6.26.12   ( the beauty of this media!!)

Here are the updates:

http://hurricanenordgallery.com/index.php?topic=28.msg34#msg34
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 05:58:44 AM by Hurricane ( of Virginia) »

One eyed Jak

Gents,
  I am looking for a PA rifle maker born 1735, died 1781. Lived near Hanover and the Susequehanna River. Name was William Miller, 2nd, married to Sarah Cooper Miller approx. 1761. 5-6 children and whole family moved down to NC near Yadkin River Narrows about 1775. Ever see any evidence of him working in this area of PA? interested in what school he built his rifles from.
Yours,
Charlie Kemp

Offline Loudy

Charlie,

I went through my notes.  The only gunsmith that I could came up with that might be connected to your gunsmith William Miller was a George Miller b. 1777 in Lancaster County.  George Miller worked as a gunsmith for many years in Danville, Montour County, PA.  His son William G. Miller b. 1810 also worked as a gunsmith in Danville.  Here are the notes I have on George Miller:

George Miller
Born:   1777 Lancaster County, Pennsylvania
Died:   1842 Danville, Montour County, Pennsylvania
Buried: Odd Fellows Cemetery, Danville, Montour County, Pennsylvania

“George Miller, the grandfather, was born in Lancaster county. His father was the first sheriff of that county in the days of its formation. George learned the trade of a gunsmith, a very necessary business in those days of plentiful game.  He came to Danville and bought a residence and shop where the Opera House now stands.  Here he carried on the business of gun repairing and locksmith until his death in 1842, at the age of sixty-five years.  He married Sarah B. Myers, and their children were: John, Elizabeth, William G., Margaret, Levi, Mary, George, Julia Ann, and Jacob H.  Mrs. Miller died at the age of eighty-five, and is buried in the Odd Fellows cemetery at Danville.
Ref “Historical and Biographical Annals of Columbia and Montour Counties, Vol. II”  by J. H. Beers & Company, Chicago, IL, 1915, p. 902.

Rifles were in demand, and had always been much used by the pioneers (of Danville).  These were supplied by Samuel Baum and George Miller; the son of the later succeeded him and still continues the business. 
Ref. “Danville, Montour County, Pennsylvania: A collection of historical and biographical sketches” by D.H.B. Brower, L.S. Hart, Printer & Binder 1881 

Good luck,
Mark Loudenslager