Author Topic: Knew Concepts Fret Saw  (Read 5920 times)

mjm46@bellsouth.net

Knew Concepts Fret Saw
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:01:13 PM »
Does anyone here have any first hand knowledge of this saw frame.

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/knew-concepts-5in-woodworkers-fretsaw.aspx?utm_source=iContact&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Wood%20News&utm_content=FREE+SHIPPING+July+2012

I guess it was originally designed as a jewelers saw but is now also being sold as a woodworking saw. Supposed to be very ridgid.

I am wondering if the additonal ridigidity would improve the blade tracking and lessen blade breakage?

Offline T*O*F

Re: Knew Concepts Fret Saw
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
By all reports, it's the greatest thing since the invention of the safety pin.......if you want to pay the price.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Habu

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I had the opportunity to try one.  Generally speaking, I tend to hate and abhor coping saws and fret saws and jewelers saws; I don't like having to constantly fiddle with adjusting blades and tightening blades and replacing blades.  It often seems that the focus becomes "operating the saw" instead of "using the saw to make what I want." 

The Knew Concepts saw was noticeably different, because the darn thing worked--and worked well.  You know all those skills you developed trying to get a jewelers saw to do what you want?  They make operating a KC saw easy.  Out of the box, it was better than any of the saws I've spent time tuning and refining to get something that would work. 

I want one.  I will have one eventually, as soon as the "swearing jar" has enough money in it.  I figure it is $10 for the saw, and $90 for the aggravation I won't experience. 

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »
Hi Micah,
I have one and use it a lot.  It is a great tool and the best jewelers saw I have ever used.  It is very rigid and mounting blades is very quick and easy.  My version also can pivot so that the frame is perpendicular to the blade.  I break blades much less frequently using the saw.  The saw is pricey but I believe it is worth the extra money.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Uh.... It looks like it is a little cheaper at Rio Grande and they have less expensive models too.. http://www.riogrande.com/Search/knew-concepts-5?page=GRID

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 11:40:19 PM by Dr. Tim-Boone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2012, 04:44:02 PM »
Uh.... It looks like it is a little cheaper at Rio Grande and they have less expensive models too.. http://www.riogrande.com/Search/knew-concepts-5?page=GRID
Thanks Tim, They have different models with different features. The $95 saw has a swivel and lever latch system, seems like a good feature, but pricy for sure. They also hava Titanium version that's $200  :o now that's really pricy.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:57:26 PM by Micah »

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2012, 04:52:46 PM »
I had the opportunity to try one.  Generally speaking, I tend to hate and abhor coping saws and fret saws and jewelers saws; I don't like having to constantly fiddle with adjusting blades and tightening blades and replacing blades.  It often seems that the focus becomes "operating the saw" instead of "using the saw to make what I want."  

The Knew Concepts saw was noticeably different, because the darn thing worked--and worked well.  You know all those skills you developed trying to get a jewelers saw to do what you want?  They make operating a KC saw easy.  Out of the box, it was better than any of the saws I've spent time tuning and refining to get something that would work.  

I want one.  I will have one eventually, as soon as the "swearing jar" has enough money in it.  I figure it is $10 for the saw, and $90 for the aggravation I won't experience.  

Thanks Habu and Dave, I was hopeing someone here would have tried one of these. Sometimes you just can't believe the marketing. Everyone says thier product is the best. Gotta do it, right.

I think I'm going to order one, maybe it will lessen my blade breakage and make cutting a line more precisely a little easier. Been using one of the $30 saws for ever now I can go through 4 blades cutting a side plate, and more on a patchbox.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 04:56:52 PM by Micah »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 07:33:08 PM »
Hi Micah,
I own the $95 version that pivots and I bought it from Rio Grande.  I cut out a lot of inlays made of different materials (metal, bone, shell) because of my interest in 16th and 17th century decorated firearms.  The saw has certainly saved me many broken blades.  Additionally, the ease of removing and mounting blades makes cutting piercings much more pleasant.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 12:32:22 AM »
If you need to wait for the swear jar to fill then just start building a Lehigh rifle. The jar should be full in no time.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:35:02 PM »
Well, I bought the saw for $95 plus shipping. And the story is
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!
It cuts where you want to go in a straight line. At turns is where it really shines, no binding I was shocked. A couple of fast strokes to widen the kerf to change direction and you're off again. This saw is all it's advertised to do. A very refreshing concept for today's advertisers, where every other word is a USUALLY lie or exaggeration.
On a scale of 1-10 I rate this saw as a 20
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 03:40:15 PM by Micah »

SuperCracker

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
Yeah, I definitely need that.

Looks very nice

Offline Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 05:11:55 PM »
Eric Smith