Author Topic: CVA Mountian Rifle Question  (Read 2936 times)

Muleskinner

CVA Mountian Rifle Question
« on: July 12, 2012, 03:28:11 PM »
I have an older CVA mountain rifle thats marked "Made in USA" what size percussion nipple does it use? 6x1mm or 1/4x28 ? Thanks

docone

Re: CVA Mountian Rifle Question
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 03:36:59 PM »
They are 6 X 1.
Mine prefer the Ampco to stainless.

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 04:20:43 PM »
The earliest production CVA mountain rifles had nicely faceted ramrod pipes. The later production made in both Conn. and Georgia, had plain pipes with just a groove around each end of them.
 Always inspect the drum, and nipple, carefully, when cleaning any CVA rifle, or pistol, that has the drum, and nipple, configuration. When I got my .50 Cal. Mountain Rifle almost forty years ago, I shot it every day after work. I just couldn't get enough of it. One day I noticed that just behind the nipple the wood on the stock was charred, and burned away a little bit, down near the edge of the lock plate, just under the hammer. I took the stainless nipple out, and inspected it, and found the threads on one side burned off, just like they had been cut off with a microscopic cutting torch. Upon inspecting the inside of the drum I found the threads in the drum were also gas cut. This is a very dangerous condition that could result in injury, or even death, in some instances. Always inspect you CVA guns for this, and check any you buy used.

Hungry Horse

Muleskinner

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 12:36:14 AM »
The earliest production CVA mountain rifles had nicely faceted ramrod pipes. The later production made in both Conn. and Georgia, had plain pipes with just a groove around each end of them.
 Always inspect the drum, and nipple, carefully, when cleaning any CVA rifle, or pistol, that has the drum, and nipple, configuration. When I got my .50 Cal. Mountain Rifle almost forty years ago, I shot it every day after work. I just couldn't get enough of it. One day I noticed that just behind the nipple the wood on the stock was charred, and burned away a little bit, down near the edge of the lock plate, just under the hammer. I took the stainless nipple out, and inspected it, and found the threads on one side burned off, just like they had been cut off with a microscopic cutting torch. Upon inspecting the inside of the drum I found the threads in the drum were also gas cut. This is a very dangerous condition that could result in injury, or even death, in some instances. Always inspect you CVA guns for this, and check any you buy used.

Hungry Horse
thanks for that info