Author Topic: TRS & E J Blackley: snaphaunce lock kits  (Read 3953 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

TRS & E J Blackley: snaphaunce lock kits
« on: July 16, 2012, 06:34:26 PM »
Have any of you guys ever put together the snaphaunce pistol lock from TRS?  The one I have looked at specifically is for kit # 624.

E. J. Blackley & Sons of UK has one also.  Forgot about theirs.

And if so...any thoughts to share?

Thank you!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:45:56 PM by Salkehatchie »

dannybb55

Re: TRS & E J Blackley: snaphaunce lock kits
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 01:30:01 AM »
To go where no American Longrifle Builder has gone before.....Sorry, I have been watching Star Trek re runs.
  Are you going to build a Pistol or a light hunting fusil?

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 04:00:27 AM »
Hi Salkehatchie,
I built several locks from both Kevin Blackley and TRS.  Attached are photos of a TRS type 1 English lock that I built.  They were mostly converted snaphaunces.  The images show the basic components.  On a snaphaunce you add a two-part sear (primary and secondary), a push rod connecting the tumbler to the pan cover, and separate pan cover and steel (or battery).  I think a snaphaunce or early English lock would be a good choice for a first-time build from Blackley's or TRS's parts sets.  They are large and the parts generally have lots of extra metal with which to work.  Both companies make good products.  Kevin offers choices with respect to the steel used.  He will cast in mild or high carbon steel.  The mild steel is very easy to work and fit but it must be pack hardened.  The higher carbon steel can be through hardened just by heating and quenching.  TRS parts generally can be through hardened if desired.  Keep in mind, however, they offer part sets, not kits.  There usually are no instructions and I usually make my own springs and screws for historical accuracy and function.  Finally, both companies take infernally long times to ship your parts.  In the case of TRS, call to find out if the parts are in stock, otherwise you may wait a year or more for them.  Likewise, e-mail or call Kevin Blackley to determine availability before ordering.

dave   

"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 07:02:17 AM »
To go where no American Longrifle Builder has gone before.....Sorry, I have been watching Star Trek re runs.
  Are you going to build a Pistol or a light hunting fusil?

Pistol.  Wood stock or...if we get carried away...metal stock.

Thank you!

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2012, 07:10:29 AM »
Hi Salkehatchie,
I built several locks from both Kevin Blackley and TRS.  Attached are photos of a TRS type 1 English lock that I built.  They were mostly converted snaphaunces.  The images show the basic components.  On a snaphaunce you add a two-part sear (primary and secondary), a push rod connecting the tumbler to the pan cover, and separate pan cover and steel (or battery).  I think a snaphaunce or early English lock would be a good choice for a first-time build from Blackley's or TRS's parts sets.  They are large and the parts generally have lots of extra metal with which to work.  Both companies make good products.  Kevin offers choices with respect to the steel used.  He will cast in mild or high carbon steel.  The mild steel is very easy to work and fit but it must be pack hardened.  The higher carbon steel can be through hardened just by heating and quenching.  TRS parts generally can be through hardened if desired.  Keep in mind, however, they offer part sets, not kits.  There usually are no instructions and I usually make my own springs and screws for historical accuracy and function.  Finally, both companies take infernally long times to ship your parts.  In the case of TRS, call to find out if the parts are in stock, otherwise you may wait a year or more for them.  Likewise, e-mail or call Kevin Blackley to determine availability before ordering.

dave   

Well, I can harden and temper.  No springs attached eh?  Well, can do that too, if I must.  Be kind of fun.  I will have assistance if we decide to go through with this.  Yes have heard about the shipping issues, so will call for sure. 

My next issue would be the barrel.

Thank you!  As always good info.

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 07:43:48 AM »
Hi,
Both companies will supply cast springs that have to be finished, fitted, hardened and tempered.  I just find it easier to make my own rather than clean up the castings.

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 03:01:32 PM »
Hi,
Both companies will supply cast springs that have to be finished, fitted, hardened and tempered.  I just find it easier to make my own rather than clean up the castings.

dave

Thank you Dave.  May just order the springs first time for the heck of it.