Author Topic: 1812 CLA Auction Joseph Stewart Horn  (Read 4121 times)

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
1812 CLA Auction Joseph Stewart Horn
« on: August 05, 2012, 02:17:38 AM »
What can anyone tell me about this horn, the original that is?  I opened the new American Tradition today and saw the picture of the CLA auction horn and almost fell over - Church Creek MD is just down the tidal river from me, close enough I can hear the fire house whistle when it blows!  Pretty rare to see anything from this locale, I'm intrigued. 
"Any gun built is incomplete until it takes game!"

Offline Fullstock longrifle

Re: 1812 CLA Auction Joseph Stewart Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:10:42 AM »
I found the Joseph Stewart horn in an antique mall in Pennsylvania about twenty years ago, the dealer who owned it was from Baltimore.  I researched it and found out that Joseph Stewart was an officer in the Maryland Militia in Church Creek and during the war of 1812 he was responsible for capturing a British war ship if memory serves me right.  There is a cannon that was still in the area that was taken from that ship.  Stewart was also awarded money by congress for his actions.  I sold the horn (dumb move) many years ago to Courtney Wilson and I understand Courtney later sold it at Cowan's Auctions. I haven't seen the magazine yet, do they have pictures of the original?  If so, I look forward to seeing the horn again. Did they give any of it's history?

Frank
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:23:46 AM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline T.C.Albert

• Global Moderator
    • the hunting pouch
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:18:12 PM »
This info was provided by Chris Barker, maker of the pouch in the Jos. Stewart auction set:

The Battle of the Ice Mound, February 7, 1815
by Robert G. Stewart

Even though war was declared in 1812, Marylanders did not seem to become alarmed until 1813 when the British blockaded the Chesapeake and the Delaware Bays. The Maryland's 48th Regiment of Militia of Dorchester County was formed.

This is the Dorchester County, Maryland Roster for the  48th Regiment of the 12th Brigade.

The H.M.S. Dauntless was anchored off James' Island. What alerted the local people was that sailors from a Tender to the British ship had come ashore on February 5th, 1815 and stole supplies from one of the farms. They had reason to believe they would be back for more. The Militia was ordered to readiness. Keep in mind there was ice in the Chesapeake Bay at the time. On February 7th, 1815 at the Ice-Mound, a group of men under the command of Joseph Stewart made their way over the ice to the ship. There was a battle. After about two hours of engagement, these Maryland men captured the British Tender. The British prisoners were taken across the Ice and marched ashore. These prisoners were sent to Easton, MD. The British prisoners were later returned to England.

Joseph Stewart and his men petitioned both houses of Congress on February 24, 1815 for their prize in capturing the British Tender. On December 14, 1818, each man involved received $42.90 in prize money.   
"...where would you look up another word for thesaurus..."
Contact at : huntingpouch@gmail.com

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
I just looked for my research papers on the horn, but as of yet I haven't located them.  I found most of the history on Stewart (and the incident) in the Cambridge Library in Cambridge Maryland, this was pre-internet days.  I believe that Stewart also liberated property that had been stolen by the British and was on-board the ship when it was captured, including a female slave (who I think was named Bessy).  When Congress made the award, Steward was given a larger amount, which I believe was $2,500.00.  The cannon is located in a small park near Church Creek and (again, if my memory is correct) is named Bessy, after the slave.  There is a plaque on the cannon that has the history of its capture.  As a side note, while I still owned the horn I spoke to several ancestors of Stewart who still lived in the area at the time.  I offered to sell the horn to them ( to keep it in the family) and no one seemed interested.  I still can't figure that one out.

Frank
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 05:41:41 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 05:55:09 PM »
The cannon is the Becky Phipps, it's just across the Slaughter Creek bridge on Taylors Island.  James Island is at the mouth of the Little Choptank where I live (that's also the island where the first sika deer in the area were released, 5 or 6 in the late 1800's and now we've got a thriving, wild, huntable population across the lower Shore).  I knew the ice mound story, but didn't remember the names involved.  Shame the county historical society couldn't have ended up with the horn, they've got a nice museum.  I'll see what I can dig up for more info...

Thanks!

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
Thanks Osprey, I wasn't quite sure of her name, my memory isn't what it used to be.

When I first saw the horn in the display case I couldn't believe what I was seeing, it was (and still is) the best powder horn I ever saw for sale in an antique shop.  At first I questioned if was an original horn or a contemporary, but after I handled it I knew that it was good.  At that point it was just a horn with a name and the name of a town on it and the dealer didn't have any information or history to go with it.  Even though I lived in Maryland at the time (on the Western Shore) I had never heard of Church Creek.  On a hunch, when I got it home, I called Maryland 411 and asked if there was a town called Church Creek in Maryland and the operator said that there was, taking it to the next step, I asked it there was anyone named Stewart listed in Church Creek, and sure enough there was.  When I called them I was surprised to hear that there had been a historical marker standing at one time in Church Creek that talked about Joseph Stewart and his exploits, but it had been knocked down years before and never replaced.  When I drove to Cambridge (and later Church Creek) and visited the library, that's when I got the story.  I had the horn with me at the time and showed it to the people in the library, but no one seemed to be real excited about it.  Your right, it is unfortunate that the horn didn't wind up in somewhere like the County Historical Society. Actually I'm more sorry that I didn't keep it.

Frank
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 07:45:54 PM by Fullstock longrifle »

Offline trentOH

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 08:42:56 PM »
Don't be sorry for the first minute that you sold the horn! That town let a fascinating piece of American history slip away from them, and I don't just mean the horn. :'(  You started a series of events in motion from which hundreds, probably thousands of people will re-learn a lesson of America's past, and just in time for the event's bicentenial. I had never heard that story, even though I lived in MD for awhile and worked at Fort Washington.
Imagine the temerity of a ragtag militia stomping across the ice to attack a British naval unit, and WINNING the fight! :o  Thanks for bringing that story to light.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »
Fascinating.  History books never fail to mention that the Battle of New Orleans was fought after the Treaty of Ghent - and  this fight happened even later.

Guy

Offline Osprey

• Roaming Delmarva...
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 06:17:39 PM »
Here's some interesting links about the battle and cannon.  It mentions Tobacco Stick on one of the plaques, that's the orginal name for the town of Madison, between Church Creek and Taylors Island.  Would take me a half hour to drive to any of these, but I can be there by boat in ten minutes.   ;)

http://www.easternshore1812.org/dorchester/index.asp

http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=4002

http://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=4003