Author Topic: Price of black powder!  (Read 8795 times)

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
Price of black powder!
« on: December 16, 2008, 07:20:23 PM »
This has probably been discussed before but my wife is to buy me some black powder for Christmas. Of course I have to tell her where to get it etc. I called Bob's Sport Shop here in Midlothian (the only place near that sells it) and its $16.99 per pound for Goex. I thought that high so I called Clark Bros. up in Warrenton VA hoping it would be cheaper and they get $21.99 a pound and have sold out of 3F! Wondered what the going rate is across the country for small lots (2 to 5 lbs).
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Price of black powder!
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »
This has probably been discussed before but my wife is to buy me some black powder for Christmas. Of course I have to tell her where to get it etc. I called Bob's Sport Shop here in Midlothian (the only place near that sells it) and its $16.99 per pound for Goex. I thought that high so I called Clark Bros. up in Warrenton VA hoping it would be cheaper and they get $21.99 a pound and have sold out of 3F! Wondered what the going rate is across the country for small lots (2 to 5 lbs).
Dennis
Try Graf's Inc they pay the shipping you pay the haz mat!  Let her buy you a case and they may pay the haz mat also!!! ;D      Pre Oct 1st price was $12. and change delivered here in Pennsylvania.  (Higher now)  They have a web site!
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 10:03:16 PM by Roger Fisher »

northmn

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »
The Graf's powder is about $12 per pound and the GOEX about $14.  If you spread the $20 Hazmat over more than five pounds it does not hurt so bad.  Also you can mix as I ordered 2 cans of 2F and 2 of 3f and One of 4f.  My chronographing and preliminary experience puts the Graf's brand as good as the GOEX.

DP 

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2008, 07:53:53 PM »
Getting powder in Canada is not easy.  We buy it at Heffley Rendezvous from one of two dealers.  The price is $18 / pound CDN or $450 for 25 pounds.  Most of us buy a minimum of 25 pounds and slit cases with friends to get smaller lots.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2008, 09:09:02 PM »
Dennis

Only 16.99? That's about the cheapest markup I have seen Moates put on an item. ;D

Powder Inc. has it for 13.00 per pound, including shipping and hazmat if you get 25 pounds. 10 pounds is 16.05 per pound shipped and haz mat.
Old Bob has a pretty good price it seems.

Seven

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2008, 09:51:59 PM »
The only store around me (maybe in the state?) that has real black wanted $25.00 per pound of goex last year.  I now go through Grafs.

voyageur1688

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 04:54:22 AM »
  That may seem a little bit high to some but to others it may not seem that bad.  Up here in north east Minnesota I expect to pay that and then some to buy it off the shelf rather than through mail order (Off the shelf price for Pyrodex is $23.95 and actual blackpowder is not even available).  Then to make matters worse there is no place within 50 miles of me that of here ANYTHING for M/L's. I have checked all shops within a 50+ mile radius and found 1 place 55 mile away, so it pays for me to order from mailorder sources.
 With the new administration coming into DC, I would recomend that everyone start buying up all you will be needing for your modern shooting irons and smokepoles. Its not a 100% guarantee, but I have a bad feeling that soon there will be a lot less you can get and the prices are going to be way more than they are now.

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 04:59:47 AM »
Only 16.99? That's about the cheapest markup I have seen Moates put on an item. Grin

Powder Inc. has it for 13.00 per pound, including shipping and hazmat if you get 25 pounds. 10 pounds is 16.05 per pound shipped and haz mat.
Old Bob has a pretty good price it seems.
Yeah, Bob spends most of his time in Charlotte Court House so he probably doesn't know its that cheap! The manager here told me they just went up a $1 per can. Probably will buy a couple of cans from them just to support them selling it since he's the only one anywhere near where I live. Will order some from Graf's (or pick it up this spring when I go near them) later on.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rsells

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 08:36:55 AM »
I purchased three pounds of FFFG in Cookeville, TN (middle TN) two weeks ago for $15.00 per pound.  It is getting hard to find in my area, and thought I would get a bit while it was avaliable.
                                                                 Roger Sells

Offline Old Ford2

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2008, 03:56:25 PM »
You don't have to outlaw guns, just make it that you must pay $20 a shot, and that will take care of the situation.
Old Ford
Never surrender, always take a few with you.
Let the Lord pick the good from the bad!

lew wetzel

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 04:26:07 PM »
i was at the log cabin shop in lodi last week and and they wanted $22.00 a pound for goex.but then again they are high on everything they sell.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 05:55:18 PM »
You don't have to outlaw guns, just make it that you must pay $20 a shot, and that will take care of the situation.
Old Ford
That plus a finders fee paid to your neighbors for turning you in! >:(

William Worth

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2008, 06:22:43 PM »
These days especially, I can't see why one would buy powder in anything less then bulk quantities.

Heck, if you've made any trip at all to get it, might as well make it worth the trip.

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2008, 06:51:07 PM »
These days especially, I can't see why one would buy powder in anything less then bulk quantities.

Heck, if you've made any trip at all to get it, might as well make it worth the trip.

Storing it is often a bit of a problem, especially depending on where you live and/or how your spouse feels about having 100 pounds of black powder stashed in the yard.   ;)
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2008, 07:31:06 PM »

Storing it is often a bit of a problem, especially depending on where you live and/or how your spouse feels about having 100 pounds of black powder stashed in the yard.   ;)
It is safer to store than is gasoline....... common sense should prevail.  archives should hold a whole series on safe storage.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 10:02:01 AM »
Storing 100 to 400 pounds in a magazine in the back yard is preferrable to storing 300 pounds in the back of your Toyota pickup, driving in vancouver freeway traffic every day, as one individual I know did.  (No, I've never had a Toyota pickup) I'd like to see the mushroom 300 pounds would produce.

Offline markwi

« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2008, 12:52:49 PM »
The store here is geting $19.00 #, They have not been selling much, so that price is on powder they  have had while. When they order new it will be around $24.00 #. Mark

northmn

« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 01:43:07 PM »
Storing 100 to 400 pounds in a magazine in the back yard is preferable to storing 300 pounds in the back of your Toyota pickup, driving in vancouver freeway traffic every day, as one individual I know did.  (No, I've never had a Toyota pickup) I'd like to see the mushroom 300 pounds would produce.

Are Canadians eligible for Darwin Awards because that individual qualifies?  I never have much more than 10 pounds on hand.  One thing in buying and storing anything or gun collecting.  You have savings vs utility of the dollar.  I will be getting a COL pay raise this January.  Investing my money may yield a given increase over time.  When I bought barrels about 15 to 20 years ago they sold for $70-75.  Now the equivalent barrel is about $100.  I put to you that they may have cost more then than now.  I guess if you feel that BP may not be available in the future that would be a reason to store but not because of price jumps.  If you build a magazine you have to add that into costs.   I can sympathize with  Voyageur in that in our area theres a lot stores that handle the SOS which for BP is all "modern. I ordered a batch of black from Grafs as my local supplier is charging about $18 per pound and is old enough such that I felt the need to find an alternate source.  Track of the Wolf is about 200 miles away.  It is cheaper to pay Graf's hazmat than drive and I go to the Twin Cities as little as possible.  Black powder is still far cheaper than the phony powders which I see going for about $30 per pound.  I went to buy a can of Steel powder, which as usual in my area was not in stock, and found that smokeless was going for about $25.00 per pound.  Of course, depending on use, smokeless is used at about 1/2 volume unless you load 06 on up in rifles.     

William Worth

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 03:49:48 PM »
I carry around more explosive potential in my Toyota P/U then a few hundred pounds of black powder, it's the 12 gallon gas tank.  And I've never heard of black powder vapors being involved in an explosion. ;)

Harnic

« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2008, 10:51:59 PM »
My policy on hoarding powder in case we can't buy it in the future is I keep a couple month's supply on hand.  If the day comes when we can't get more then I'll start making it.  There's no shortage of recipes online!