Author Topic: Build No. 2 for comment  (Read 5459 times)

WV_Mountaineer

Build No. 2 for comment
« on: August 30, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
I would appreciate your comments/suggestions on this build. 

Thank you in advance for your review of this work and any feedback you might offer.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
Re: Build No. 2 for comment
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 10:09:21 PM »
I'll tell you right up front that I'm no expert on this or any type of gun. Is that cherry? This is what I see. Your inletting looks good, nice metal to wood fit. It might be the camera but the front of the comb needs less hump. The forestock looks too long or the barrel looks too short. It's kinda hard to see how the lock panels blend into the wrist but I don't think it flatters the gun. I would go ahead and put the 2nd screw in that side plate too even if it's not needed. Remember this is just my uneducated opinion.

greybeard

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 10:48:43 PM »
Looks like a good effort for a second build. I saa a Berks county profile there.  The only thing I would suggest is that the trigger guard should be inletted deeper . I used to be guilty of that untill Taylor pointed it out to me in one of my builds and the light bulb went on. Looks so  muchbetter when done properley.  Just something to apply on your next build.
Keep up the good work     Bob Reader

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 11:54:03 PM »
Keb, thank you for your comments.  The stock is cherry that I bought off fleabay.  I traded for the barrel and it is 32" long and already drilled for the drum.

Graybeard, thanks as well for your comments and I will pay more attention to inletting depth for the trigger guard.  I had traded for these parts early on and felt I would benefit from making something from them.  After build 1, I had the opportunity to handle an original Hampshire County Rhinehart and that served as my inspiration for this build.  I had to assume that it had been cut off though due to the short barrel and halfstock blank.

I would also appreciate anyones suggestions on how to make the finish look more antique.  tried a combination of darker stains and brass black.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 12:31:24 AM »
Cherry wood looks great when oven cleaner (Easy Off) is used on it. Just spray it on and let it set a short time. Then wipe it off. The lye is what ages the wood and oven cleaner has lye in it. I suppose the stronger solution of lye you use the darker the wood would get.

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2012, 02:28:55 AM »
Countersink that buttplate screw until it is flush or you won't like what it does to your shoulder.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 04:38:22 AM »
Hi Stephen;welcome aboard.Dave here in Charleston,Wv.Nice job,I am enjoying my sorta retirement,like you,building and shooting front stuffers.We have a club down here,Mountaineer Flintlock Rifles,inc,been at it for 50 years this year.Like to have ya shoot with us if you so desire.
I have no critiques,'cept the countersinking of buttplate screws,for your well being.I am on build 4/5,customized a few factory jobs to get my hands going again.Always learning,and here is a rite smart place to learn.Best regards,Dave

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2012, 04:46:24 AM »
Keb, thank you for your comments.  The stock is cherry that I bought off fleabay.  I traded for the barrel and it is 32" long and already drilled for the drum.

Graybeard, thanks as well for your comments and I will pay more attention to inletting depth for the trigger guard.  I had traded for these parts early on and felt I would benefit from making something from them.  After build 1, I had the opportunity to handle an original Hampshire County Rhinehart and that served as my inspiration for this build.  I had to assume that it had been cut off though due to the short barrel and halfstock blank.

I would also appreciate anyones suggestions on how to make the finish look more antique.  tried a combination of darker stains and brass black.
I like to use Potasium Permanganate in low areas and rubbed out in the wear areas to give her a used look (as if she's been out behind the barn a few times) I also like many rubbed in coats of ol tyme leaded boiled linseed oil as a finish.  On curl maple..   results may vary.

WV_Mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
Pete G. took it out to shop and sank it the evening of your comment. Thank you.

Mountainman70, would love to shoot with your club sometime.  Wasn't aware of the club in Charleston. Thanks for the invite and comments.

Roger, will try the Potassium Permanganate after hunting season.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 10:57:10 PM »
Mr. Mountaineer of WV,

Having held your first and 2nd builds in my hands, I am amazed at your skill in inletting and engraving, knowing that you are self taught and this is only your second rifle.  The others on the forum may not know this, but you started on both of your builds with just a bandsawed blank and did everything from scratch, barrel channels, ramrod holes, making your own inlays, sideplates, thimbles, triggers, etc.  These are the kinds of things that all should know about your endeavors.  I believe in time that you will be a significant builder, as I know that you are learning little nuances with each build.  Even though I have been at it longer than you, I aspire to someday be as good as you already are.

Poorboy Flint