Author Topic: Thanks for the lessons ! (Final Engraving, Start of Stain & Finish)  (Read 21462 times)

Offline David R. Pennington

Re: Thanks for the lessons !
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2012, 05:56:46 AM »
When I build fence with my guns should I put the barrel end in the ground or the butt end? How do I attach the barbed wire?
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2012, 09:23:21 AM »
Dr. Tim,

You are correct, the picture of the rear carving looks funny (flattened curve)  because of the camera angle.  Here is a better picture earlier in the carving process.  The volute actually comes up onto the rear contour of the cheek piece.  Perhaps a mistake to do that.

Good point though...I didn't even notice how odd it looked in the original picture.

David R.,

Barrel down, staple the top wire to the cheek piece.  The other use I have for these is as a canoe paddle.

Taylor,

I forgot to mention, I spent a quarter century finding my way about the world's oceans with a compass and a sextant (long before GPS).  The compass rose has special significance for "finding my way in the world."
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:11:45 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2012, 09:31:51 PM »
Real nice. I love that super bold engraving look you use. I've saved some of your pics for inspiration.

Thanks for posting!

hawknknife

« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 09:44:27 PM »
Dave, Masterful work.  Don't get to  busy, I need you to engrave a name on a lock plate.

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2012, 02:38:06 AM »
AVAST,ye Swabs,all ya gotta do these days is to google bravo zulu,and know it means Well Done,and in this case,it sho'nuff is.USAF vet here,one of my brothers was Navy ,he told me in addition to looking it up.Anchors away,keep up the good work.Incredible Dave

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2012, 03:52:40 AM »
AVAST,ye Swabs,all ya gotta do these days is to google bravo zulu,and know it means Well Done,and in this case,it sho'nuff is.USAF vet here,one of my brothers was Navy ,he told me in addition to looking it up.Anchors away,keep up the good work.Incredible Dave

AF must be changing, only took three days, usually takes weeks to get them fly boys to do anything.  ;)   ;D
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline horseman

« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2012, 04:43:04 AM »
 Dave, you were a QM, too?

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2012, 05:49:44 AM »
Yep fellers,it is improving.Suppose cause most of us are retired,one way or another.My wifes' father is retired CWO,USN,and a right decent ol salt if I do say.Her late husband served on the Oriskany,69-70.Thans for your service.Best regards,Dave

Offline Captchee

« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2012, 06:32:35 AM »
Outstanding !!
  Very nice fit  . The engraving and caving IMO is also very nicely  done
 The way you did the  treatment  along the RR channel is rather interesting  with the bead and relief .  Very nice

Offline FL-Flintlock

• Fire & Iron Mfg.
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2012, 12:28:06 PM »
Yep fellers,it is improving.Suppose cause most of us are retired,one way or another.My wifes' father is retired CWO,USN,and a right decent ol salt if I do say.Her late husband served on the Oriskany,69-70.Thans for your service.Best regards,Dave

#2 son & D-i-L are USAF, I'm required to bust on them.  ;)
The answers you seek are found in the Word, not the world.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Thanks for the lessons ! (Lock Engraved)
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2012, 04:34:24 AM »
Well, I got as far as finishing the lock engraving.  Not great, but it will do for this go around.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:11:28 AM by davec2 »
"No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into a jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... a man in a jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company."
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
Re: Thanks for the lessons ! (Lock engraved)
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »
I'd say you knocked that one out of the park, Dave.  Mighty nice engraving.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »
Not great, but it will do for this go around.
Dave,
You are way too modest.  Your engraving is as good as many professionals and you have your own unique style.  Not too bad for an anchor clanker.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
So I have a couple of locks waiting for guns.... would you like to practice on them so that you could feel better about your engraving????/ I want you to feel great!!   ;D ;D  Let me know where to send them!!  :o :o
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2012, 05:16:44 PM »

Dave, a lovely work! This will be a shining piece when complete.

One comment on the carving around the tailpiece of entry thimble. The carving is all the same height, which tends to be visually a little boring. if there was some height variation, it would add interest. An alternative would be to start the stem of the leaf group as an INCISED line, which would echo the nearby whorl, and be a smoother 'visual flow', leading the eye from one element to the next.   
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Daryl

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 06:32:25 PM »
I especially like the hooks on the entry pipe pins. Makes them easy to get out. Identical pins for the barrel will make cleaning easy, too! :D

Beautiful job, Dave, all round. Looks pro to me, just as TOF noted.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2012, 10:34:31 PM »
Horseman,

I wasn't a QM, I was the navigator.  I learned how to navigate with a compass and a sextant from a Quarter Master Chief Petty Officer and a British officer who was an exchange officer to the U.S. Navy.  Both brilliant men.

TOF,

"Anchor clanker" .... I love that !

Acer,

Exactly so !!!!  I am going to try to re-work the carving to get a little variation in the depth.  You are spot on...it's all too much in the same plane and I like the idea of transitioning from an incised line to a raised feature.  Thanks !

Daryl,

I like the hooked pins...they just catch on my sweaters a lot.
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Daryl

« Reply #42 on: September 12, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »
HA!  They'd certainly be the answer for those shooters who are afraid to take their barrels off for cleaning, though.

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
Re: Thanks for the lessons ! (Final Engraving, Start of Stain & Finish)
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 03:41:17 AM »
Well, I finished some of the last engraving work required and started the metal and wood finishing work.  Going slowly now...don't want to mess this up any more than I have.

Engraving progress:

Start of stain and finish on the stock:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:11:02 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Daryl

« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »
To me, Dave, that work is spectacular.

docone

« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2012, 05:45:23 AM »
A really great job.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 04:48:39 AM »
Dave, that's beautiful work.  Did you use line gravers for the shading at the ends of the pedals?

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline davec2

• The Lucky Bag
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 06:42:41 AM »
Ed,

Yes, I use a liner for some of the shading.  Not all that HC, but then again I use an electric light to see what I'm doing, as well, and a Gravermeister to drive the graver instead of a hammer.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:28:02 AM by davec2 »
Dr. Samuel Johnson, 1780

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 24, 2012, 06:34:29 AM »
Thanks, Dave.  I use a Lindsay, not all that HC either...

Ed
Ed Wenger