Author Topic: "Get Out The Post" (ALR Museum)  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
"Get Out The Post" (ALR Museum)
« on: November 04, 2012, 06:51:05 PM »
Since we can't talk politics on this site, lets see some of your Antique Longrifles. The ALR Museum is the only thing like it in the world. Where you can sit at your computer and view rifles that would take you a lifetime and a million dollars in gasoline to  be able to see. In the last few months  the entries for the Museum have dropped off.Yes they are still trickling in, and those we love and appreciate. I always look forward to clicking on the ALR and seeing new old guns in the ALR Museum. If we want the interest and study of these Kentuckies/Antique Longrifles to last and grow it is up to us. When we share our collection whether on here or at gunshows, etc. we are helping foster a interest  in a thing that we love. Can you imagine if there was noneone else interested in these rifles of the past. It would take a lil of the enthusiasm out of it .  You can post some of your rifles or just one on the ALR Museum for all of us to enjoy. This is done discretly if you wish, only the moderators will know the rifle is yours. Since I am not very good on the computer I just send my downloaded pics w/ any info I have on the rifle or maker to Hurricane ( of Virginia). In a week or two I see them on the ALR. Don't be ashamed if you think your rifle is not a beauty, this does not matter.Some of mine would not even be looked by some collectors. This is not important.All of these Antique Longrifles, whether Carved,Plain,Percussion or Flint are and have great importance in firearms,art,history and the forging of the America we know and live in today. It may be the rifle or maker that someone is just dying to find out info on.I am sure Hurricane & Nord, can explain how to put your rifle or rifles on, or in the ALR Museum better than I. Lets see some rifles and any info on the maker you have. Would appreciate your contribution.  :)

R.Baitinger

Re: "Get Out The Post" (ALR Museum)
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 10:08:36 PM »
I am trying to get something together on J. S.Burson Longrifles, I have eight and two barrels which has taken 30 years to put together. This man was a great great grandfather and made some pretty nice guns. I have a nephew who was named after him Joshua Seth ,a hunter and shooter and I asked him if he would want a full stock or half  stock gun because I plan to give him one. He did not know what I was talking about. It seems our shows are not drawing the young people or teaching them or showing the younger generation about these wounderful guns. I also did not have much knowledge of them but in 30 years , with gun shows  and books and a great web site (ALR Museum) and several people at the Prarie Longrifle
Show in Princeton, Illinois twice a year I have learned a lot.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 04:53:15 AM »
Avirc,  Help is on the way.
JIM

Offline Avlrc

• Hampshire County Long Rifles
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 06:17:52 AM »
R.Baitinger & jdm, that sounds great can't wait to see them.  Hope some more of you decide to put a rifle or two  on the Museum. One more thing, then I will get off of my soapbox for awhile. I have heard several collectors say when they pass over the river, that they want their collection to go to a museum. Well this  is a whole lot easier, and you don't have do the river crossing thing. Plus you still get to keep your rifles.I am sure that many of you have learned something from the Museum entries, so lets pass it on.... I am going to dig around and see what I can find for Nord & Hurricane (of Virginia) put on the Museum.

Offline nord

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 05:08:50 PM »
Gentlemen,

Fred and I appreciate all of your efforts greatly. We realize that we can't be too pushy as sharing our antiques is a deeply personal matter. Then again, the ALR Library & Museum really is unique in that the entire world is our audience. Exhibition of our antiques can do nothing but increase the appreciation and general awareness of these fine works of art.

This has been shared before but I'll repeat myself...

Certainly we'd appreciate professional quality photos, but we're aware that very few have the ability or equipment to do this type of work. Please don't hesitate to submit less than professional photos to us. Just try to keep your subject in focus and remember that the rifle is the primary subject, not the background. And for those with higher quality cameras, please take low resolution photos as anything more is a waste of bandwidth.

Once a piece has been submitted to us I remove all ownership identification and crop the photos as needed. The potential exhibit then goes before a panel of knowledgeable experts where we vet the piece. This can be a process that takes a bit of time. Assuming the vetting is positive in nature I then place the piece in the Library & Museum.

Don't ever be discouraged if your submission doesn't arrive in the museum promptly. This is perfectly normal. Do feel free to contact me if you're uncertain about my having received the submission. Sometimes mail doesn't get delivered.

Again back to bandwidth. My mailbox can accept only so much information before either mails are rejected or information dropped. Large pixel count files swamp me from time to time and sometimes cause problems. This is why I request low quality (pixel count) photos.

Thanks once again to those who support our project. Whether your support is as a contributor or a visitor both Fred and I are honored by your participation in the ALR Library & Museum.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2012, 02:20:07 AM »
Am I missing something I can't find the new posts?  Saw the one on the East Tenn. rifle. Very nice! Are ther others?   JIM
JIM

Offline nord

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2012, 05:05:17 AM »
How's this???

+  AmericanLongRifles Forums
|-+  Virtual Museum and Library - Antique American Firearms & Makers
| |-+  WELCOME TO The ALR Virtual Library & Museum ---->> CLICK HERE TO ENTER <<----
| | |-+  Pennsylvania Long Arms Traditional Exhibits - (PA, MD, VA, WV)
| | | |-+  Beck, John Phillip
| | | | |-+  Beck 090318-1 Restoration

| |-+  WELCOME TO The ALR Virtual Library & Museum ---->> CLICK HERE TO ENTER <<----
| | |-+  Southern Long Arms
| | | |-+  Hicks, Samuel
| | | | |-+  Hicks Samuel 121124-5

| | |-+  Rifles by Unknown Makers - Iron Furniture
| | | |-+  E. TN (Unknown) 121124-1

| | | |-+  Wright, Henry
| | | | |-+  Wright Henry 121124-4

| | | |-+  Lauck, Simon Winchester, VA
| | | | |-+  Lauck S 121124-2 (Attributed)

Happy New Year,

Nord
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2012, 06:08:45 AM »
Ask and ye shall receive!   Thanks
JIM

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
Terrific start to 2013!
Andover, Vermont