Author Topic: Shop size  (Read 13765 times)

Offline T*O*F

Re: Shop size
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2012, 12:29:52 AM »
Having more than one bench is like having a ping pong or pool table.  They rapidly get repurposed and disappear under a pile of clutter stacked on top of them.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline halfstock

« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2012, 12:51:30 AM »
Path finder I'd strongly suggest a 12x24, it will cost you virtually nothing extra and you'll enjoy that extra 2 feet.

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2012, 01:34:23 AM »
Having more than one bench is like having a ping pong or pool table.  They rapidly get repurposed and disappear under a pile of clutter stacked on top of them.
-
oh, so that's where the desk and surface plate went. 

daVinci eh?  hoo gnu?

Hold to the Wind

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 05:44:17 PM »
Finally got enough decent weather so that the Amish are showing up this weekend to build my 12X24 work shop! I cant frikken wait!

I liked all the reply's and advice! It's a constant fight with my "cluter devil's" as I empty out the storage shed,gathering together my stuff. It's SO nice seeing my "old friend's" again! Tool's and thing's I've had and used for the last 50 years.

I'll be putting in window's as the need arises. Have to wire and bench build first.

There will be a 4'X6' free standing bench in the center toward's 1 end. Bench and shelves along 1 wall,which are 8'high.

It's sided in rough sawn pine with a metal roof. Pic's when done.

Thank's for all the advise fella's!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline KentSmith

• Augusta Gunworks
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 08:26:22 PM »
Heating a small shop is easier than a large shop or cooling it if you need to.  Even with a wood stove.  Mine is a 16' X 20' log cabin my son and I built.  The work bench area is 10' X 16' and the rest is storage for lumber, stock blanks and our trekking gear.  I have a bandsaw, a thickness planer, drill press with enough room to work on one gun or one furniture project at  a time.  The forge is under an attached shed roof outside the cabin.  Nothing is heated or cooled, no room for a stove and too cheap for a AC window unit.  Might do more work if I had some climate control but usually once I get going I don't notice....much.  Still if you got to heat or cool it - take size into consideration.  Also lighting.  Plan out the lighting and the position of your wall outlets for power.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2013, 12:50:09 AM »
May not be an issue to most folks; but seems as if you have your shop in the basement or attached to your home you will get more work done.  Handy, already heated and maybe cooled.  You will more likely get off the kitchen chair and move your ol bod to the shop (maybe in your slippers and casual clothes to do all those little things that need attention to your projects.   Takes less 'push' to get you started at the bench than getting dressed in heavy mackinaw etc and wander down the yard etc and you will get more done.   Just a thought.;. ::)

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2013, 05:54:27 AM »
Stand alone shops work best for me. I've had the others,too easy to get interupted,and some of the stuff used really can smell up the house!

Small propane heater on a thermostate to keep the frost off the pumpkin,wood stove as the primary heat source.

I plan on the shop being a "home away from home" I have a lot of projects to get caught up on so I'll make it comfy. Plan on having a sign over the door"No gurls allowed"! ;D

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2013, 04:39:51 PM »
My first "shop" was a 5x7 foot space by the water heater in the corner of my garage. Very hot in Alabama summers and cold in the winters.

When I moved to a place I could build a shop I opted for a 28X30 building with half being for tractor, mowers, 4 wheeler and assorted garden tools, the other half was strictly a man cave /shop.

After filling the house full of saw dust from my garage shop and later working out of my basement while my shop was being built I felt I needed a dust collection system in my shop. I put a 2hp Griz system in,  doesn't stop the dust but makes it tolerable.

After sweltering during the summers in my garage I also decided I needed a well insulated shop with heat and air. My wall mounted air conditioner can heat as well, really makes working in th shop a joy.  

« Last Edit: April 03, 2013, 04:48:23 PM by Eric Krewson »

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2013, 10:33:20 PM »
I have to move the 10X12 Sears shed off the pad first before my shop gets here. So much to do before it gets here!

I think the 12X24 with 8' walls will be plenty big. I have cut back on the hobbies I have persued in the past. Guns and accoutrement's,Grandfather and regulator clock's,and static model planes and boat's. That's all. Should keep me busy for a while.

The clock's are a nice diversion from gun's and let's me connect with my Father who passed in '08. Him and I have spent a lot of time working together making clock's and restoring piano's. No room for piano's though!

I bough a really nice piece of wood from Dennis and am having the barrel let into,so that may be the first project. I also have a realy nice hunk of 5p+ maple that has curl that looks like the teeth of a fine tooth comb that may be a .32 Bedford. Can ya tell I'm excited?

Bentflint

« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 05:06:56 PM »
Mine is 30 x 40 split into 2, 20 x 30 rooms. I'm thinking about building a 60 x 40 so I have some place to put all the extra stuff that's in my way.

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »
My "SHOP" is a corner of what in Georgia is referred to as a "bonus room". The actual dimensions of my work area are about 6' x 12' with a couple of benches along the long wall and a small vise table and a stand alone drill press. The band saw gets moved around at times when I need it. If it was any bigger I'd never be able to find anything. HAHA!

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 05:56:38 PM »
Well the old shop that I showed you pictures of with the top nailed Southern yellow pine floors is going to a new owner April 30.

The new place; a ranch condo with no yard maintenance has a 20' X 18' room above the garage with three windows in one wall!! also adjacent to a full bath!!  (Humidifier !!!)  Just putting vinyl flooring that look like wood on this one..
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Dave Dolliver

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2013, 12:27:23 AM »
Moved to my present location about 20 years ago.  My spouse had 1 major requirement:  The shop must be outside the house so that the sawdust and other dirt gets knocked off before you enter.

The place we bought had a 24' x 36' "pole barn".  Sheet metal over heavy wood frame, wired 220 volt, just used for storage by previous owner.

I remodeled; split the 36' length into 3 parts.  South part has library, office and a head.  Middle part is for wood work with 1 bench, band saw on moveable base, floor mount drill press, browning cabinet, finish drying cabinet, stock storage and other miscellaneous storage and also a 9' x 9' roll-up door for large thing access.  North part is further divided in 2 parts: 2/3 is metal work with mill-drill, 12x36 metal lathe, metal cutting band saw, and floor mount drill press, and wwork bench w? machinist vise; other 1/3 is grinding , polishing and welding.  Have people access dors in each of the 4 corners, one window in office access door, plastic windows between interior rooms.  We have a mild climate and I double insulated the walls and ceiling when wiring and dry wall installation.  1500 watt electric heater in each room serves when required.

Has prooved to be just right for my needs and didn't cost too much.

Dave Dolliver