Author Topic: Shop size  (Read 13763 times)

Offline pathfinder

Shop size
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
I think life has slowed down on throwing me som curves,so now I can concentrate on re-building my shop. I build M/L guns and all the stuff that it entails,leather horn,ect. Thats going to be all that's going to be done in there.

I have a 10X24 pad on my property that I could build a stand off shop,or,...

Build a pole barn with a room for my shop,or....

Clear a spot in the wood's for any size shop.

It's mostly for enjoyment. I'll sell stuff too,not on a large scale business,but mostly a place to work out my re-tirement.

Any suggestion's as to size? What size is your's?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 05:51:26 PM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline Dave B

Re: Shop size
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:47:16 PM »
When I built my shop I thoght it was going to be plenty big at 36 x 24. But it filled up quickly. My problem is I like collecting stuff. If I had built one twice its size I would still have a problem.  The reality is a bunch of our members here make due with a basement room, small out building or garage. For me it was what was the biggest I could build affordably at the time. John Biven's didn't have a huge shop and only a small number of power tools. He didnt have a lathe in 97 I had four. so if you can I would build a pole building encompasing the slab in one corner. Enclose that area as your gun building/ project area and have the rest as potential expansion and the need arises.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 10:37:36 PM »
I work out of a paper bag, in a puddle.

My shop is narrow, about 8' wide x 20' long. Most of that length is used up by doorways and entries. So I use a 8' section in the middle. Benches on front and back. Works OK for one person, two people, it's a traffic jam.

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline KLMoors

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 11:08:31 PM »
I think mine is about 10 X 20. It works fine, but it can feel tight at times. I have some other stuff in there too (freezer, all my shooting and hunting stuff, etc).

I don't have a bandsaw, but I work from pre-carves for the most part, so I can get by without one. If I had a bandsaw, with enough room around it to really use it, I think mine would be getting really tight.

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 11:18:42 PM »
Build the pole barn.  It will be full in less than 5 years.  Tools are like those litte sponge animals that you put in water and they expand to 20 times their original size. 

I know one guy that bought two of the large overseas shipping containers, put them side by side and cut a door between them.  He sprayed the inside with that mulched paper insulation with fire retardant in it and built a roof over them.  Made a nice, secure shop relatively inexpensively.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2012, 12:59:15 AM »
My shop is 36x20, but a lot of that is used for storage , a bath room, and some big power tools.   If I was just doing gun and accouterment work, then I could get by with less.   I think 20x20 with 10x10 under a shed roof for the forge would work.    I could probably get away with a little less.   In the 20x20 I would have two 6-8' benches, a drawing table, tool chests, parts/supplies storage on shelves, a 14" bandsaw, 15" drill press, 7x12 metal lathe, 16x24 wood lathe, belt sander and slow speed grinder.  I would suggest you identify everything you will need and lay it out all to scale on a plan.   I made little scale model cutourts of all my stuff and moved it around on a plan to get the design of my shop.   

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2012, 01:12:51 AM »
You know, the storage container idea is not bad.   You can get used shipping containers at a port for a couple hundred dollars each and get them moved to your site for less than a hundred, assuming you live near a port.   I actually worked out of a rented 20' container for the better part of a year while my shop was being built.  Mine was built for storage and had a translucent fiberglass roof.  You put it on some blocks, build some steps or a ramp up the door,  run a heavy duty extension cord, and you are in business. They come 20' and 40' and are about 8' wide.   I also know someone who bought two, put them a container widths part and put a roof over them to store his cars and boats.   

chuck-ia

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2012, 01:50:04 AM »
I see you are 58, (same as me) just planning or getting an early retirement? chuck

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 02:38:33 AM »
I'm mediclly re-tired after a semi ran me over. healed up as good as I'll be,so,it's for fun. Alway's worked with my hand's. Antique restoration,clockmaking,ect...

I like the idea of long and narrow with LOT'S of window's. Very secluded where I'm at,and Bouvier's will be my security!

And Joe,I'm moving in with you!

Offline cmac

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 03:44:47 AM »
What equipment do you plan on having and how much lumber storage, etc., I would think these would play a big role in space needed. I would go as big as possible but thats just me. Mine is roughly 16'x25' I think and thats ok for now but would love bigger, with an shed roof or forge room off one side. I would think that if your current space piles up with stuff double what you think you want???

Offline 490roundball

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 05:02:20 AM »

My shop is narrow, about 8' wide x 20' long. Most of that length is used up by doorways and entries. So I use a 8' section in the middle. Benches on front and back. Works OK for one person, two people, it's a traffic jam.

Nearly identical in size to my rod shop but so far just one doorway.  I find if I make myself keep the area picked up it is enough for one dedicated use.  I have one long purpose built bench and some large old sets of drawers on one side, one antique "gentleman's woodworking bench and room for a good sized lathe on the other .

The gun bench is still in the garage until one of the other side of the big shed/small barn gets the new roof next year then a new floor and another shop is set up for gunsmthing and misc woodworking.

but i found this to be a help when deciding what would fit in a given space.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.aspx

"It's a poor word that can't be spelt two ways" Tom Yeardley in Swanson's Silent Drum

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 05:34:37 AM »
My shop is about 18x20 and if I add one more tool,I will have leave the building
to change my mind. I am going to do a bit or re-arrangeing,maybe tomorrow and
add a bit of storage space.

Bob Roller

Harnic

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2012, 05:47:33 AM »
I have a 20' x 24' shop & I'm extremely picky about what goes in it!  Gun stuff & motorcycles (& a ride on mower in winter), that's all! ;)

Offline Habu

« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2012, 08:16:06 AM »
My home shop is 20'x24' I think, with a 16'x20' storage building out back.  If I can get one built-in bench ripped out this winter, I can move my wood lathe, and table saw, and band say, and my cabinet bench, and my stocking bench, and then maybe I can actually use any 3 of the above in the same day! 

I've also got the use of a 30'x60' shop at a friend's place; I do a lot of lumber prep work there for furniture and cabs (my jointer and planer are over there).  It is nice to have the space when working on larger projects, even if I haven't done any that require it for a couple years. 

Then there are the drying sheds for lumber . . . .

But there is never enough space.  TOF has the right idea--build the pole barn.  If you're one of those guys who plans things, plan not for what you have today, but for what you hope to have someday and the work you might do in the future.   Otherwise you might find yourself in my shoes--trying to figure how and where I can "shoehorn" in a 12"x72" Southbend lathe, so I can have it up and running before its hundredth birthday. 

Michael

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
Mine is one section of a 3 car garage. I made a 4 foot wide door so I can move machinery in and out. I put my boring bench and rifling machine on furniture dollies so I can roll them out on the driveway so I can use them. Thats the problem with a narrow shop, no room to work!!

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2012, 04:10:05 PM »
Great replies guy's! Due to the accident,my forge day's are over,even though I cant seem to part with it. So it's just a band saw,drill press and thickness planner for powertool's. So I'm guessing the 10X24 Salt Boxstyle is what I'll do. My contracter say's the wife's 2 car garage and my shop should be done in less than 30 day's.

What better Christmas gift than to be able to start building in my new shop! Pic's to follow when done.

keweenaw

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
We tend to  accumulate lots of "stuff" in our shops and like them big.  The known colonial and federal era shops of individual gunsmiths were quite small, maybe a room or two in a, by today's standards, small house or a small outbuilding.  10 x 24 would have been a largish shop with a smith and at least one apprentice working it it.  I'm working in 600 sq. ft. with a loft of 450 sq. feet for storage plus a chicken coop that is also storage.....

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2012, 08:14:37 PM »
It's just too easy for too much "stuff" to accumulate if allowed to.  Yes I allow it too.  14x28 stick-built portable storage barn is what i use.  I wired and insulated it (partially).  Have two skylights, but must cover them in Summer.  Heated with wood, cooled with window unit.

Plenty big if i didn't let all subjects of shopwork collide in there. 

I once had a much larger shop...absolutely awful for hoarders-took forever to move all the $#@* out and had to trash much of it. 

If you focus on keeping Storage and Workspace separated, then you'll enjoy a small workspace much more.  It helps to be "anal" about keeping it orderly...I am not, but i do enjoy those fleeting moments of apparent organization after I do a flurry of cleaning up.

Small is cheaper, requires organization.  Large allows sloppiness and is harder to heat/cool.

The double container setup sounds good-depending on how the floor is treated WRT insulation/condensation etc.  I'd use one side for storage and grinding-type operations, the other side for main working space and work hard to keep the storage/nasty work side from spilling into the main side.

but we's all different.
Hold to the Wind

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2012, 12:46:09 AM »
My shop is 12x12 and too small.  It's not so bad until I get to trying to saw out stock blanks (or handle other long materials), then there's just not enough room and too much stuff in the way.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2012, 06:16:35 AM »
Mine is 8x12 and cramped. I bump into myself when I turn around. I'm working on my fifth longrifle in it. I had hoped to start on a new shop by now. I want to build 12 x 16 and hopefully have enough room to get my forge inside. I may have to trade a rifle for some lumber.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

whetrock

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2012, 06:40:54 AM »
Mine is a basement garage space. Gun work is constantly competing with everything else that needs fixing--a lawnmower is sitting upside down in the middle of the floor right now. Dedicated space is my dream.

A couple of guys here have mentioned having more than one bench. Having two benches has really helped me deal with tendonitis, bad eyesight, and back pain.

I have one low bench that is very heavy, but movable. It has splayed legs, so that it won't tip. The top is a 2' x 3 1/2' rectangle. I have one heavy machinist vise mounted on one corner. On the other end I have a movable block (with a slab of thick leather glued to its top) that I clamp down with screw clamps.  I can move it to accomodate what I'm working on. This gives me a good height for heavy work, like inletting a barrel. The height of this table is determined by the height of the vise, and I set it at 38 inches to the top of vise jaws. (This is a good height for me. I'm 6 ft.)

I have another bench, a long one, bolted to the wall and set under a window for light. I have small vises bolted to each corner, and set so that the height to the top of the jaws is 47 inches. This works well for me to do light, detail work, without having to bend over to see it. Having a vise on either end allows me to clamp the forestock or buttstock as necessary in either the right or left end vise as needed, put the work area under the window. But note that this tall bench would not work at all for heavy work, as it absolutaly kills my elbows to do any heavy work at that height. And I could never do the detail work at the low bench, without killing my back.

I'm describing all this here on a string about shop size for the simple reason that if my shop, small as it is, wasn't big enough to accomodate both benches, I would proably not be able to work on guns. Having both of these allows me to avoid over-stressing my elbow and back.

Michael

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2012, 03:26:40 PM »
If I remember my Shumway correctly, George Shroyers shop was 12x12?

whetrock

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2012, 04:05:52 PM »
“Small rooms or dwellings discipline the mind, large ones weaken it.”         Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2012, 04:12:28 PM »
The "2" bench shop is a MUST! I've pretty much settled on a 10X24. One long wall will be window's and full length bench. It'll be a Muzzleloading ONLY shop. My 2 Farmall's,Xena,'49 Cub,and Lucrecia,'43 "H" will have their own shed's,their spoiled!

Bernard

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2012, 04:58:36 PM »
Shops, like lathes are never big enough. Think about what you want to do, the tools you'll need to do it and the space that will require. Build shop accordingly. I have 4 properties with buildings, all full of stuff I don't need and can't find most of the time. My Gun Shop is L shaped 12 feet wide 24 feet on the long side 18 feet on the short side. Not big enough but comfortable to work in and well lighted.