Author Topic: ALR Virtual Library : Opening DAY  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
ALR Virtual Library : Opening DAY
« on: December 24, 2008, 04:45:32 PM »
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah to all.
We hope you enjoy our work in progress. It is an effort to make Kentucky Rifles available to all.

Key Points
1. Please read the directions below.
2. The real success depends on the contributions of all. The ownership of all  guns posted will always remain anonymous except to the board moderator.
3. A single gun maker post ( new topic ) will be opened in this board, "Antique Gun Collecting" for placement of your comments, historical facts, etc. about the maker and his gun every few days. Please add your comments about each gun maker there.
4. New additions to the library will be added every few days ( we have several hundred to display so return frequently.)
5. Please send us pictures of your guns...both signed , attributed and unknown. Please only send guns that you currently owned by the contributor or have the specific permission of the owner to have them put up here.

parifles@earthlink.net

6. The Library Committee takes no responsibility regarding authenticity of any gun. We will do our best to confirm any opinions on unsigned or questionable signatures to ensure for the viewer that  the pictures are properly identified. In no manner, do we represent this board as an authoritative source to establish or identify a gun for the purposes of sale or valuation

Thank you
Nord, Hurricane and Dennis and all those who have and will contribute
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:01:44 PM by hurricane »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: ALR Virtual Library : Opening DAY
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 05:57:53 PM »
I would like to offer my sincerest thanks and appreciation to Nord and Hurricane for taking the time to put the library together.  I would also like to thank the anonymous contributors.  Without their generosity, this would not be possible. 
I already thought this was the best board on the internet but this is absolutely the icing on the cake. 

Are you going to open a discussion on each piece or will ALR members do that? 

Ken
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 05:58:38 PM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 06:47:02 PM »
Wonderful!  Simply wonderful!  I would like to echo Ken's comments and thanks.  How appropriate that it comes on Christmas.... what a great gift to us all!

Dillon's The Ky Rifle, Kauffman's The PA-KY Rifle, Kindig's Thoughts, Shumway's RCA.......  This may seem premature, but I believe the ALR Virtual Museum and Library will soon be on the "essential" list of reference works for students of the Long Rifle.

And it's available anytime and will continue to expand.  Wonderful!  Simply wonderful!  We owe a huge debt of gratitude to all who worked to make this possible.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline LynnC

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2008, 07:30:27 PM »
The Pictures Are Blow You Away AWSOME!!!

Man, What a Christmas Present!

Important - Some have critical dimensions noted but many do not.  The builders would be eternally greatful if some dimensions could be posted.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »
We will add all "Shumway" type dimensions that we can get as pictures  come in.

Offline LynnC

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 08:54:18 PM »
Great! - Thanks Again...........................Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

J.D.

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 09:44:32 PM »
Holy Sheetz Batman, look at all of those longrifles.

The new Library is an incredible resource for anyone interested in learning about the history and architecture of longrifles. This wonderful resource can only happen through the generosity of the collectors among the ALR membership.
I, for one, as someone who does not have the resources to view and study unpublished originals, do sincerely appreciate those collectors who have so graciously offered examples from their collections for study.

Thanks, much,
J.D.

lew wetzel

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2008, 03:43:29 AM »
tottally awesome idea coming up with this and sharing with all of us.this truly is the best site out there and has kept the flames a burning for soo many of us and re-affirms my committment to the alr and gun building.