Author Topic: Flintlock to percussion conversions question  (Read 4675 times)

Offline DaveM

Flintlock to percussion conversions question
« on: December 24, 2008, 09:12:41 PM »
In looking at originals does anyone know whether it is possible to distinguish if a flint to percussion conversion was done in the US versus europe?   Were particular styles of conversion / bolsters used in either region? Thanks

Offline JV Puleo

Re: Flintlock to percussion conversions question
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 04:03:39 AM »
The "drum & nipple" conversions we see so often are very rarely seen in Europe. As far as I know, it was never used for military purposes so that when you see a European musket converted this way it is almost a certain it was done in the US.
When European military guns are converted they usually have either a bolster breech added or utilize the nipple offset in the top of the barrel. Our Ordnance department referred to the official US Government conversions as using the "Belgian system." This is why you almost never see a pre-1816 musket with that sort of conversion...those guns were sold as surplus before they were converted. Almost all of the later muskets were converted by the Ordnance Department according to the "Belgian System" so when you see a drum on one of those it implies the gun was sold out of service as a flintlock.
Conversions of European guns done in Europe are much less common, largely because the part of the population that hunted or engaged in shooting probably represented a much higher economic level and could afford to buy new guns. for the same reason, we see far more unaltered flintlock guns in European auctions. Exceptions would be something like a well liked Jaeger rifle used by a servant or gamekeeper etc...but even these are usually more elaborate than the simple drum.
There is a good discussion of this in the testimony of John Dent Goodman before a Parliamentary Commission of Inquiry in 1854. Its Appendix 5 in Bailey & Nye "English Gunmakers". Goodman has to explain what a "drum & nipple" is to the commission (All MPs, most of whom I am certain were familiar with sport shooting). He describes the practice as primitive but very popular in the US.
There are probably exceptions and, of course, some American gunmakers used the more elaborate system (I'm thinking of a very nice N. Beyer rifle I know) but in that case, there isn't any doubt its an American gun. I have a French musket Model of the year IX with a drum & nipple conversion that perplexed me until I found an advertisement from a Boston gun dealer ca.1816 announcing the arrival of a new shipment of "French Imperial Muskets", obviously for sale to Massachusetts militiamen required to furnish their own arms and wanting to do so on a budget. It was probably converted in the 1830s.

Offline DaveM

« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 04:55:29 AM »
JV, thanks for the great info.  I've seen examples referred to as "snail" bolsters that have a screw connection from the end of the bolster but are not entirely round like a drum.  Do you know anything about that type and whether US versus europe?

Offline JV Puleo

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 05:41:17 AM »
I'm not sure I understand what you mean but the incidence of European guns with American conversions, aside from military muskets and export quality English guns, is very small. I believe that all of the converted muskets purchased during the Civil War were converted before they were shipped so they are invariably European in configuration.

I think that the shape of the bolster is more likely to be dictated by the shape of the lock. Birmingham throughly dominated the American market to the end of the flintlock period so that, while we lots of Belgian-made muzzleloaders, most were made as percussion guns and nearly all are shotguns of some sort. As far as we know, very few rifles imported although I have some interesting information about English-made rifles in America that will be included in an article I'm currently writing for Man at Arms Magazine.