Author Topic: Southern Ohio gunsmith  (Read 5081 times)

JLE

Southern Ohio gunsmith
« on: December 25, 2008, 03:09:33 AM »
Looking for someone who may have known a riflemaker in southern OH in the mid 50"s by the name of Burl Craig.Mr. Craig had a small shop in Scioto Co. west of Portsmouth,Oh. on US Rt.52, He made guns and most of them were sold in Portsmouth, at the Farris Gun Shop.

William Worth

Re: Southern Ohio gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2008, 10:11:24 PM »
Would Mr. Craig have been the proprietor of "Fort Shawnee" or Buckhorn something or another at the mouth of Twin Creek?  The place used to be a gun shop but burned many years ago.  Some of the equipment can still be seen sitting out.

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »
No - Fort Shawnee was owned by Jack Lewis - sadly his shop did burn a few years ago unfortunately, but Jack is still a fixture in the Sheepshed at Friendship every shoot.  He and his wife are two of the nicest people you'd ever want to meet. Jack does all sorts of gunsmithing and has been around a long time so I am sure he would know of the gunsmith you are asking about - I will try to find his contact info for you.

Guy

JLE

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2008, 12:40:56 AM »
Thank you both for the info, I know Jack Lewis. He came to the area long after Mr. Craig moved. The Craig shop was located at the mouth of Upper Twin Creek. Part of the old place is still there.

William Worth

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2008, 01:28:14 AM »
JLE:  You may also be aware that the Portsmouth Rifle Club Range is just a few miles up Upper Twin Creek.  You might also look up Stan Richards for more information.  He used to be the Ranger at Shawnee S.F. and built some rifles.

JLE

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 01:11:42 AM »
I know Stan Richards also. Stan is much younger than I am. The Mr. Craig I am speaking of ,I'm sure is deceased. Most shooters I know never heard of Farris Guns in Portsmouth. I had one of his guns when I was a young man. Would like to know what happen to him. I was thinking someone on this site may have one of his rifles or knew him. He did mark his rifles BC with a hammer stamp.As I recall Mr."Red" Farris ask him to mark his rifles.