Author Topic: Neats foots oil for hunting  (Read 3286 times)

Offline walt53

Neats foots oil for hunting
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:22:22 AM »
For you gents that use NFO for lube,do you think it would work  with a op card or felt.And how long do you think one might be able to leave your gun loaded for.
In my case it's quite cool here threw hunting season.Just wondering becuse of the simplicity of lubbing patchs with it compared to greases.Thanks Walt

Online D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
Re: Neats foots oil for hunting
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »
I use pure neatsfoot oil for my hunting patches.  If I do not shoot my rifle during the day's hunt, I trust the load to be safe for as many days as I might need it.  The patch, even dripping wet with oil when loaded, is stretched very tightly around the ball, and the bore gets coated with its contents all the way to the powder.  There is not enough oil left in the cloth to foul the powder during the course of the (insert number) days hunt.  It does not need an over powder wad.  That is assuming you are not using 18 grains of 3Fg as your hunting charge.  If I have shot my rifle during the day, and loaded it again, which is guaranteed, I discharge the rifle at camp and clean it right away, then re-load it. My rifle stays loaded all the time I'm hunting.  That's just the way I do it.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline walt53

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 03:03:54 AM »
Thanks Taylor. Thats kind of what i thought and hoped would be said.So know I think a little playing or should i say a little  experimenting is in order. ;D
   WALT

hlary

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2013, 01:14:58 AM »
here's something for the "what it's worth" department. I too use NFO for hunting and have left it loaded for well over a week. The last deer of our season was taken with just such a load out to about seventy five yards. No weak charge. What I do is cut the patch strips, soak them in NFO and then pull the material through my fingers to remove excess. Then I roll the patch material in paper towels to wick away the desired amount of the remainder. What's left is a slightly oiled (depends on how long you leave it in the paper towels) patch that is easy to load and will not migrate into the powder column. It is not messy to carry in your bag and the material stays lubed the entire hunting season.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2013, 03:10:41 AM »
For you gents that use NFO for lube,do you think it would work  with a op card or felt.And how long do you think one might be able to leave your gun loaded for.
In my case it's quite cool here threw hunting season.Just wondering becuse of the simplicity of lubbing patchs with it compared to greases.Thanks Walt

With nothing over the powder it will not cause a problem unless the patch is very wet with it.
6 months loaded is not a problem. I have done it.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine