Author Topic: Possible Angstadt Rifle on GB  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Majorjoel

Possible Angstadt Rifle on GB
« on: January 21, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
I hope I'm not upsetting the apple cart with this post. Seeing that the unknown reserve has not been met on this piece, I thought it would be of interest to my collecting friends here. I did E-Mail this gal and got back some pretty good pictures where the ones posted on the auction site are not the best. It sure looks like the work of one of the Angstadt's of Berks Co. to me. What do you all think?          http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=326298763
Joel Hall

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
Re: Possible Angstadt Rifle on GB
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2013, 05:29:31 PM »
Thought the same.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 11:21:38 PM »
The engraving and the patchbox finial are very unsuffisticated, suggesting either a very early work ( apprentice) or a lessor quality maker than Angstadts I have handled.

Offline nord

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2013, 12:43:44 AM »
Nice enough gun but too little detail to say much more. I think NOT a Golden Age rifle and very likely not an Angstadt. At least not by Adam or Abraham. Perhaps one of the sons but I'd tend to expect a signature or initials at the least.

Obviously just my opinion.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2013, 05:17:33 PM »
I GUESS it could be something made by Joseph A., but have found that a few rifles made by Jacob and Carl George have some similarities. Carl's stock architecture doesn't match up from the only rifle of his I have seen pictures of. (Patrick's Book) But his choice for inlay shapes and his engraving style looks close from not real clear photos. What is quite common is the lack of a signiture on many of these Berks Co. rifles. Have always thought these guys made products so unique that putting their name on them was akin to sinful pride. 
Joel Hall

Offline sse

• Traditional Muzzleloading Association
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »
Evidently, somebody thought it was worth 5,300 bucks.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 03:17:56 AM »
Amazing!!!
John Robbins

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 04:15:01 AM »
Dang, I sold my Jacob Georg too cheap!
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Fullstock longrifle

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 04:11:21 PM »
I know the guy who bought it, he's a dealer, so it will be up for sale again shortly. It will be interesting to see what he'll be asking for it.
Frank

Offline nord

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 05:26:58 PM »
Nice thing is that this gentleman just made my Angstadt a bit more valuable. ;D
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.