Author Topic: Finished Fordney  (Read 15661 times)

Offline Karl Kunkel

Re: Finished Fordney
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2013, 05:26:25 AM »
Bill,

It was great talking with you at Lewisburg.  Your work is awe inspiring as always.
Kunk

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2013, 06:07:53 AM »
Beautiful piece as usual, Bill!  And I really enjoyed seeing it at Lewisburg, it looks even better in person.  The chip carving so indicative of Frodney's work is wonderful, and you hit it out of the park...  Thanks for posting the photos!

Ed
Ed Wenger

Offline draken

« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:01 AM »
Bill, That is one fine rifle gun!   You are definitely one talented individual!   :) :)
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 02:29:48 AM »
Excellent rendition. Make another with the Fordney checking.

BTW: If you see a crazy guy with an axe coming down the street, RUN.

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 03:11:47 AM »
 The opposite lock plate dips a tad low in front and assume to avoid the rr hole w/o notching the bolt and or tapering the rod.  This shows up on the plate and lock surrounds one being lower than the other.  

Does that front bolt screw into the plate or is it decorative. I'm not an expert in any stretch of anyone's imagination,but I do have an original Bedford that has a "fake" front bolt.

PS,AWSOME work,truly beautiful!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 03:13:18 AM by pathfinder »
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 04:05:02 AM »
Fantastic work ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 08:08:30 AM »
Roger, good eye. What I do is this. The  lockplate side is perpendicular to the top of the barrel.The sideplate side, however , is tilted in "slightly" toward the bottom. You can't actually see this. If the side plate side is laid flat and drilled , the screw holes will be lower than on the lock side, yet the heads will be flush. The sideplate will this be lower to the bottom line of the stock, and in my eye, more attractive. The top side bolt will be a little lower and thus the top edge  of the lock panel can be below or level with the line where the oblique and side flat of the barrel meet. This creates gracefull lines. Many original makers did this. Forney does not and his sideplate panels are widet and a litle clumsy. The only thing I don't like about his rifles.
I rarely hit dead center with the web on the forward lock bolt. I like to err on the up side.
I hate scooping the bolt or making the rod to skinny. Who cares if there's a slight scoop in the bottom of the barrel.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 08:17:29 AM »
Mike Brooks, I know you rarely make golden age rifles, but I think you would make a lights out Fordney.
Lttle Brother, Just a Chambers late Ketland.
Snyder, you're right.
Smart Dog, Fordney used hidden brass nails. I'll throw in a small brass screw filed flush in spots. I cheat on occasion.
Lucky RA, Manhattans and building don't mix. THis is for computer time and if I'm opinionated I've had two and if senseless three.

Offline jerrywh

• Jerrywh-gunmaker- Master  Engraver FEGA.
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 01:36:12 AM »
 Bill Shipman.
  Your Fortney rifle is absolutely fantastic in every respect. It is one of the nicest rifles I have ere seen.  My most sincere congratulations to you.   Jerry Huddleston
Nobody is always correct, Not even me.

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 01:55:48 AM »
Mike Brooks, I know you rarely make golden age rifles, but I think you would make a lights out Fordney.
Thank you for your confidence in my abilities Bill. ;D
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Tom Currie

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »
Your post on angling the side plate panel is interesting to me. . How much does that allow you to lower the side plate ?

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 08:45:45 AM »
Tom, as a general rule, lay a T square on the top flat of the barrel and the gap at the bottom of the side plate wood is roughy the distance the side bolts will be lowered,

Vomitus

« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 10:43:22 AM »
What Bill Ridout said.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:44:11 AM by Leatherbelly »

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2013, 04:29:38 PM »
Bill,

That sleight of hand on the side plate panel is a pretty neat trick. Your rifle is a beauty.

Larry Luck

Offline pathfinder

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2013, 04:51:26 PM »
The  lockplate side is perpendicular to the top of the barrel.The sideplate side, however , is tilted in "slightly" toward the bottom.  If the side plate side is laid flat and drilled , the screw holes will be lower than on the lock side, yet the heads will be flush.  of the barrel meet.

You mean we dont just hack away at a tree branch with a hatchet until it kinda looks like a gun? Really? LOL! ;D

It's the "little" thing's like this that us amateurs find on this site that makes this THE place to be! What a cool little trick!
Not all baby turtles make to the sea!  Darwinism. It’s works!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2013, 07:26:07 PM »
Bill, I can see how this will make the head of the screw lower, and consequently, the side plate.  But does this also not make the screw pass lower relative to the barrel as well?  And there is usually precious little room for the front lock nail as it is, without interfering with the rod hole.  One thing that makes me crazy is having the for'd screw NOT in the centre of the lock plate.  One often sees them above centre, as the builder has tried to ensure that the plate did not run uphill. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »
Bill, once again you have elevated the bar for the rest of us!
Your name will never show up in the "Mediocrity" thread.....unless you post a comment. Besides, that thread was just locked.
Tom C.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2013, 09:22:53 PM »
Bill, That is one fine looking rifle!
Excellent!

John
John Robbins

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2013, 10:25:20 PM »
Bill,  That's a tremendously appealing rifle in all aspects.  Pleasure meeting
you in Lewisburg.  Hope to see much more of your work.  As for Manhattans...
One can take the edge off a bad day, Two can end all productivity and the third
makes me regret them the next day. :)
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2013, 09:00:46 AM »
Taylor, the angle is not that great.

Offline bp

• Starting Member
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Beautiful work Mr. Shipman.   

The angled side plate may explain some of the photos that have cheek side lock bolts in seemingly odd places.  I can see how you could miss the RR hole and barrel but am trying to picture if/how this would work with a tapped and cased lock plate.

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2013, 07:46:16 AM »
bpotter, just put the whole in the right position. The drit isn't that much.