Author Topic: ALR Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison  (Read 2975 times)

Offline Spotz

• member 2
ALR Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:39:50 AM »
Samuel Morrison, who has been identified as a gunmaker from Snyder County, Pennsylvania, actually worked in Milton, Northumberland County, Pennsylvania.  It is believed that Morrison was born in New England and ended up in Milton.  This theory would make sense, in that the football shaped sideplate is similar to the common New England semi-circle sideplate.  Per my post on Joseph Long, I believe Morrison worked with Long and may have apprenticed in New Berlin, Union County, Pennsylvania.  Hugh Morrison was a prominent minister in New Berlin and may explain Samuel Morrison's tie to New Berlin.  The sidelock (mule ear) rifle pictured in the ALR virtual library is very similar to other sidelocks, which were handforged and almost exclusively used in the Upper Susquehanna School.  The use of this sidelock mechanism is not entirely indicative of a Morrison piece.  Although the pictured rifle is likely a Morrison, it could be a product of other regional makers.  The early Morrisons are signed in script "SM," while later pieces are stamped "Morrison Milton, Pa."  Morrison is an interesting maker and unfortunately, we know little about his life.  If anyone else has information on this maker, please do not hesitate to share with the board. 

Offline Curt J

• member 2
Re: ALR Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 08:51:21 PM »
I believe that this Samuel Morrison is the same Samuel Morrison who appeared in Pekin, Tazewell County, Illinois in the early 1840's and died there on April 1, 1850.  I might have completely overlooked him if it had not been for an ad, placed by his successor John Schultheis, in "The Tazewell Mirror", Pekin, Illinois, dated April 11, 1850. It stated that he had "taken the shop lately occupied by Samuel Morrison, deceased", and that he was prepared to repair old guns and make new ones to order. Samuel Morrison's estate file contains local bills against his estate dating as early as April 24, 1841, and referring to him as a "gunsmith". Morrison owned house and lot 13, in block 38, in the city of Pekin. He also still owned land in Pennsylvania at the time of his death.  Apparently anticipating his imminent death, Morrison sold his shop to Schultheis on February 18, 1850. Morrisons wife's given name was Maria, according to his estate file.

I have photos of another rifle, stamped simply S. MORRISON, that has a completely different type of mule-ear lock, this one being a "back-action mule ear", which I can send.

Offline Spotz

• member 2
Re: ALR Gunmaker: Samuel Morrison
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 09:50:16 PM »
I would like to take a look at that uncharacteristic sidelock you mention.  It is possible that this was a later gun, not made in Milton, Pennsylvania.  Or, he may have simply made a sidelock using a manufactured lock, as the more common type found on later New York rifles.  My above posting should be corrected to read that the later Morrison rifles were signed "S. Morrison, Milton, Pa."