Author Topic: Wire pulling lube as Patch Lube  (Read 14833 times)

William Worth

Wire pulling lube as Patch Lube
« on: July 08, 2008, 10:49:19 PM »
Has anyone tried this?  Maybe a watered down solution as it appears the wire pulling lubes are polymer based and should be readily soluble?

Offline Joe Stein

Re: Wire pulling lube as Patch Lube
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 03:56:06 AM »
About thirty years ago a friend who worked for the old C&P Telephone Co. gave me some.  tried it straight as it came out of the container.  It fouled pretty bad, so I quit using it.  Newer formulations may work better.  If you have some laying around it can't hurt to try it.
-Joe

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 05:40:32 AM »
Interesting, but - we really don't need a target shooting lube unless that lube improves accuracy. About any water soluable lube if innappropriate for hunting due to rusting problems or possibilities.

;  Now, an oil-type based solvent or lube, that prevented rusting, reduced fouing because it kept the fouling soft, and allowed unlimited shooting without having to wipe - now that's a lube. Hey- the old LHV lube did just that.  it is possible that Shenandoah Valley lube will do the same and so may Hodgdon (or Hornady is the retailer) cleaner and prevervater, but of which some in the same bottle as LHV lube did.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 05:41:11 AM by Daryl »

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 06:32:27 AM »
Has anyone tried this?  Maybe a watered down solution as it appears the wire pulling lubes are polymer based and should be readily soluble?

Petroleum based lubricants tend to make BP fouling cake very hard.
I use neatsfoot or Sperm Whale oil.
If I want a grease type lube I use SPG bullet lube. But its not as good a solvent for fouling as the oils are.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

C. Cash

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 06:35:29 AM »
Interesting, but - we really don't need a target shooting lube unless that lube improves accuracy. About any water soluable lube if innappropriate for hunting due to rusting problems or possibilities.

;  Now, an oil-type based solvent or lube, that prevented rusting, reduced fouing because it kept the fouling soft, and allowed unlimited shooting without having to wipe - now that's a lube. Hey- the old LHV lube did just that.  it is possible that Shenandoah Valley lube will do the same and so may Hodgdon (or Hornady is the retailer) cleaner and prevervater, but of which some in the same bottle as LHV lube did.

It's available at Midway, and will give you a report when my Early Lancaster gets finished:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=561554&t=11082005

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 04:40:27 PM »
Thanks CC.  We can't order from Midway due to their refusing to sell to Canadians - due to fines received from the US Government for selling scopes to us after that became illegal - as I understand the situation.   

Harnic

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »
Thanks CC.  We can't order from Midway due to their refusing to sell to Canadians - due to fines received from the US Government for selling scopes to us after that became illegal - as I understand the situation.   

Midsouth is pulling the same stunt Daryl.  I guess the Bush govt. is labelling any country that ships oil to the US a "terrorist" nation & blocking dangerous commodities like patch lube.  ;) 

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 07:13:21 PM »

Probably a bureaucrat with too much time on his hands...
But then its safer to fine Midway than to go after real criminals who sometimes kill people trying to apprehend them.

Dan

Daryl

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 10:11:18 PM »
Lube, lube, lube- LHV works beautifully - but some times, perhaps those with rougher bores don't like it much - apparently.  Taylor's little .40 he inherited from dear friend Peter, has an awfullyfinely pitted bore due to flash rusting.  Peter always cleaned his guns immediately after shooting, but used boiling water and always pulled the drying patch out covered with red. He didn't hunt, so never left a spit patch inhis bore longer than a couple minutes. We all do that, yet our bores don't rust.  Taylor and I lapped the bore twice with a lead lapp and compound to smooth it up. It feels like it fouls more than a smooth surface bore, but still shoots well and doesn't need wiping at any time. It shoots well enougth to hit a small dog food cat at 100 meters offhand, so it's not lacking in accuracy. It also likes LHV, so not all rough bores hate it.

We're waiting with 'bated breath on the results of Shan/Valley lube as well as the Hornady solvent and perservative product. I doubt I'd ever use the tubed patch lube they sell. I've never found a grease that didn't get too stiff in cold weather and not keep fouling soft as I demand.

William Worth

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 11:14:27 PM »
I do like LHV, but some day, my supply will be depleted :'(.

Offline Leatherbark

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2008, 12:57:17 AM »
I have approximately 1 ounce of Lee High Valley lube left :( :(

northmn

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2008, 03:48:27 AM »
[ Taylor and I lapped the bore twice with a lead lapp and compound to smooth it up. It feels like it fouls more than a smooth surface bore, but still shoots well and doesn't need wiping at any time. It shoots well enougth to hit a small dog food cat at 100 meters offhand, so it's not lacking in accuracy. It also likes LHV, so not all rough bores hate it.
I used to have a dog that kind of considered cats food.  Until I got married I never thought people would really keep one as a pet.  I will say that hitting one at 100 meters would be challenging especially on the run.  I suppose, thinking about it, it was a misprint but unfortunately it caught my attention in that manner.

DP
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008, 03:49:46 AM by northmn »

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2008, 06:39:32 AM »
Yeah- I had a dog who felt all cats were food, too.  It was a misprint, but I'll leave it for posterity's sake.

northmn

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
My problem is that I thought the book 101 Uses for a Dead Catwas a technical manual until my wife kind of straightened that though process out.  Interesting the concoctions folks keep coming up with for lubes.  I remember one person I saw at the local shooting range was bestowing the virtues of motor oil in his very nice Shiloh Sharps.  He would swab after every shot.  Anything petroleum based in my BPC leaves very hard fouling in the last 10 inches of barrel.  One person told me about carberator cleaner as a cleaning agent.  Its value was really noticed when I saw it would not clean a BPC barrel.  Water and alcohol clean and certain fats such as bear grease, sperm whale oil and crisco seem to make loading easier and keep the patch from burning.

DP

swordmanjohn

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2008, 04:37:21 AM »
  All this talk about lehigh valley lube and how good it is....... I decided to try some and ordered some online ..      http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=439                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                         
I do like LHV, but some day, my supply will be depleted :'(.

William Worth

« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2008, 08:05:21 PM »
  All this talk about lehigh valley lube and how good it is....... I decided to try some and ordered some online ..      http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=439                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Recently?                                                                                                                          

Harnic

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2008, 11:22:32 PM »
I was never able to find any LH lube when it was in production but am very satisfied with Hoppes #9+.  I grabbed a quart of it Tuesday on my way home from the coast which should keep me shooting a couple years.

I wonder if "personal lubes" like KY jelly that the doctors use would work?

swordmanjohn

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2008, 01:21:38 AM »
  All this talk about lehigh valley lube and how good it is....... I decided to try some and ordered some online ..      http://www.octobercountry.com/products3.php?productid=439                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Recently?                                                                                                                          
                 Yes, just yesterday I ordered it and got conformation of the order ,and that it will arrive in about 5 days.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2008, 01:28:43 AM »
I was never able to find any LH lube when it was in production but am very satisfied with Hoppes #9+.  I grabbed a quart of it Tuesday on my way home from the coast which should keep me shooting a couple years.

I wonder if "personal lubes" like KY jelly that the doctors use would work?

I see this stuff as corrosion promoters when used as patch lube.
Even regular Hoppe's has been known to activate fouling.

Dan

swordmanjohn

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 12:28:20 AM »
  I got a call from the place that said they had lehigh valley lube and they said they cant get it anymore?  I guess they're using it as a hook to get people to order from them?                                                                                                                                                                                                   
                 Yes, just yesterday I ordered it and got conformation of the order ,and that it will arrive in about 5 days.