Author Topic: Finally finished Chambers kit  (Read 7328 times)

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
Finally finished Chambers kit
« on: April 26, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
Well actually its been finished for a couple months now.  I've been shooting it and enjoying the heck out of it.  It's a Chambers Issac Haines kit with .54 cal Rice barrel.  Since this was my first build, and I've never touched chisel to wood before this, I browsed RCA #1 and felt that Dickerts carving seemed more attainable to me than Haines.  So the carving is a mix of what I felt like to could do and still make it looks nice and stay with what one might see on a lancaster rifle. 

The build wasn't without mistakes, I made plenty, but am relatively please with the outcome.  There are things I would do different, such as slimming down the patch box and lock panels more.  It just so hard to talk myself into it, especially whereas, I have never seen a lancaster rifle in person, just photos.

The gun is finished with Aqua Fortis stain from TOW, and Chambers Oil with a little candle suit mixed in to try and give it a patina and highlight the carving.  I admire those of you who do that well, it's a art all in its own.  The barrel, lock, and brass are finished with brass darkening solution.  If you have any comments for questions please ask.  I am still learning all I can before I jump into another one  :)
Roger

Bennypapa

Re: Finally finished Chambers kit
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:23:18 PM »
Great job!!

J.Cundiff

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 03:15:16 PM »
Really nice job! Would love to see more pics.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 03:29:47 PM »
Nice job Hoyle. For a first I would say you did great. Whats next?

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:11:59 PM »
Nice Work.!  I especially like your carving behind the cheek piece.

Jim

pushboater

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:31:28 PM »
For a first effort you should be justly proud of your accomplishment. I'm with Smylee, What's next?

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:40:06 PM »
A suggestion...  I'm not sure if it's just the angle of photograph or not, but the box lid seems pretty big and thick.  Other views might help.  Most orginal wood box lids are much thinner than one would initially expect.   

Jim

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 04:59:58 PM »
Well it looks to me like a fantastic job on your first build.  Especially for never having held an
original.  I'm not going to critique anything. You should be pleased with it.  Now take it out
and use it because getting your first whitetail with it will feel great.  Congrats.  Would like to see
straight on from patchbox to lock to get a better feel for what you accomplished.  Cheekside
looks great.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Oliver

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 12:50:19 AM »
Ah...a very nice job indeed.  That being a first build, color me inspired. :)

I have an early York on order, so I am always happy to see finished Chambers rifles.  ;D

Online wattlebuster

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 01:06:02 AM »
If this is your first I cant wait to see your 10th. Ya did big ;D
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline RHoyle

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 02:47:49 AM »
Here are a few additional photos. 
Thanks for the comments everyone, it does help in the learning process.  Thanks for the suggestion on the patch box Jim, I do agree that it does look thicker than most, after having payed closer attention to other photo's.  I don't know that I will change this one however at the moment, maybe in the future, but I having fun shooting this one for now.  :)
As for what maybe on the horizon, I am kind of thinking a fowler, or smooth rifle.  Until that projects get underway I am also gonna try my hand at learning some engraving. 
Thanks again for having a look.
Roger

Offline Scout

• Mongrel Rifle School of North Florida
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
I think you did an excellent job ! I'm also working on my first "real" build and hope it comes out half as good as yours. I like the patina on the brass parts.
You definitely have some skills I'd bet you didn't even realize you had.
She ain't Purdy but she shoots real good !

JohnTyg

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 09:20:08 AM »
I really like what you have done and appreciate even more the early efforts of persons new to the "sport" compared to those of whom we expect excellence.  Nice job!  BTW is that rear site backwards?  (Not too late to turn it around).  Actually like your carving much more than my first efforts.  Think I need to get going on my next rifle.

John

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 02:39:54 PM »
Definitely a "Keeper"!!!  Very nice work!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline PPatch

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 03:45:32 PM »
My compliments on a good looking rifle and a fine accomplishment for a first attempt. You did a good job with your relief carving, I like that cheek piece a lot. I will be interested in what you do with your next, the Fowler. Thank you for posting the rifle. You have skill and I encourage you to keep at it.

dave
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Curtis

• Missouri
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 04:00:22 PM »
Roger,

I would say you did an admirable job with the carving and in-letting.  Congratulations on  a job well done!  Take what you have learned here and from your experiences and have fun building the next one.

Curtis
Curtis Allinson
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sometimes, late at night when I am alone in the inner sanctum of my workshop and no one else can see, I sand things using only my fingers for backing

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 07:03:16 PM »
Roger, you've obviously been paying attention.  That shows from your first rifle, and your own critique.

Way to go!

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 05:54:58 AM »
Excellent work! It looks like you even put some cast off in the stock, which can be challenging for a first build. Congratulations on a job well done.

Offline draken

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 07:14:46 AM »
You've built yourself a fine looking rifle.   I wish the carving on my first build (or 2nd or 3rd for that matter :-[) had turned out half as well.  Congratulationson a job well done!
Dick 

Times have sure changed. Gun control used to mean keeping the muzzle pointed in a safe direction

Never write a check with your mouth that your butt can't cash!

Offline Topknot

• www.yahoo.com
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 09:58:15 PM »
Extremely well done,especially for your first build. Im waiting to see your next rifle after see and holding some originals. Great job!

topknot
TIM COMPTON, SR.

layover to catch meddlers!