Author Topic: lolipop tang ?  (Read 3809 times)

jim m

lolipop tang ?
« on: July 09, 2008, 05:48:03 AM »
was that strictly a Daisy trait or did it show up in other areas also

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
Re: lolipop tang ?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 07:02:23 PM »
They seem to have been used throughout much of the southern Appalachian areas where mountain rifles were made.  I have seen them on rifles from North Carolina, Southwestern (and parts of what is now West) Virginia, as well as various places in the Tennessee mountains.  The pointed tang as well, in varying lengths. 

Some of the other styles (like those sort of "heart" or "spade" shaped finials shown in Dennis Glazener's Gillespie book) seem to be a little more region/ maker specific. 

The long tangs coming up over the comb seem to turn up on Tennessee and North Carolina mountain rifles by many makers.  They may turn up on some Virginia guns too (?) but I personally do not know of any.  Usually the pointed tang seems to be the most common on the SW Viriginia iron mounted guns.

Guy

Offline Ezra

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
The Gillespie (North Carolina) I am working on right now has a lollipop tang.  It is so much fun, I could scream!  :o  However, the voices in my head (no, not those voices...) tell me that one day I should TRY an over the comb tang.  I try to ignore those voices, yet they persist...

Ez
"Rules are for the obedience of fools and guidance of wise men"

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 03:26:58 PM »
Hi Jim.  Sorry I missed your post.  My computer is down and I'm having to borrow the kids computer to get on.   >:(

Guy answered the question but I'll add my 2 cents.  The up and over tangs seem to show up more in upper E. TN than anywhere.  Most of the ones I've seen on Soddy guns were long straight straps with 3 screws.  W. Carolina seems to have the lollipop and dolls head type tangs. 

Oh course with Southern guns there is no hard fast rules and you will see a little of all sorts from any given area. 
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »
The lolipop tangs from the Mills River area ( Gillespies) Wher a litte differant from the Lolipop you can buy today . They where about 1 inch shorter the first part at the breech was flared . The neck was about 1/4 to 5/16 wide and on the ends where a spade , a tombstone , or the regular oval shape .