Author Topic: Las Vegas Antique arms show - longrifle sighting.  (Read 4233 times)

Offline Jerry V Lape

Las Vegas Antique arms show - longrifle sighting.
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:18:11 PM »
I attended the show Friday and spotted only one golden age longrifle.  It was a signed Shriver.  Quite interesting to study some of the detail.  I was stunned to hear the asking price of $71,000 for the gun.  Is this a realistic  price for such a gun?  It was in nice condition for the age.  Some repairs had been made to the wood along the upper edge of the forearm wood approximately around the middle pipe on both sides but that was well done.  Not much else wrong with the gun.  Finish seemed authentic on wood and metal.   

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
Re: Las Vegas Antique arms show - longrifle sighting.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:01:31 PM »
Jerry-Price sometimes is dependent on who is selling the gun. Shriver rifles are rare and the high market value of this gun could easily be that much. However, in these economic times,
there is a great liklihood that he will have it for some time to come. Did you make an offer for it? I have seen only three Shriver rifles in 60 years of collecting. They are considerably rarer than the work of his neighbor, John Noll.
Dick

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 03:14:20 AM »
Jerry-One more thought on the Shriver: if you could see the wood replacement, it probably wasn't as good as it could be. There are restorers working today who can hide the new wood so it just can't be seen. You have to disassemble the gun and see it without the barrel, or other parts. I know one restorer who ages that wood so that it cannot be detected by eye.
Dick

timM

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 01:51:51 AM »
A well known dealer was offering a Peter White pistol at this show.  tim

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 02:52:35 AM »
I'm sort of happy that I'm missing it this year as I always seem to find something that I can't live without.
You can usually find at least one rifle for 60/70K, which is waaay outta my price range, and lots for 3 to 5 or 6 thousand, and some are actually good deals.
I'm sure the Shriver will find a home, but in these economic conditions maybe not this weekend. I did watch an old Ferrari sell at auction last night on an internet feed, for 4.1 Million, so not everyone is broke!
WOW! I could have a killer rifle collection for 4.1 Mil!
John
John Robbins

Offline louieparker

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 03:15:18 AM »
Tim;

Do you recall who had the White pistol ?  Or the price?

louie parker

timM

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 05:19:52 AM »
Louie,

David Condon and i believe the ask was $22,500.00
tim