Author Topic: Relic percussion fullstock  (Read 1749 times)

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
Relic percussion fullstock
« on: October 16, 2013, 05:15:59 AM »
At an antique shop Susan found a wall hanger rifle for sale and sent me pix, then went and bought it for $85.  It is a plain maple stock and barrel and ramrod only.  No lock, triggers, guard or buttplate remain.  Nice architecture, probably a 1840s to 1860s full stock.  Great patina.  It had double set triggers and is about .38 to .40 caliber.  The barrel had a spear point tang which is broken off at the screw hole.  It is 41 and 7/8" long.  At the breech it is precisely 1.00" wide. At the waist it is .895 and flares slightly to .930.  The percussion lock was round tailed and the barrel has a drum and nipple.  The fore stock is amazingly thin coming up to the barrel and has some cracks and loss.  The nose cap and fore thimbles are brass and there is a crude (secondary?) entry thimble that is iron.  The gun looks as though the stock has not been shortened but there is only half an inch for the buttplate tang and no screw hole there.  Love the architecture and a good study piece at an honest price.  I enjoy seeing how they built them.

A feature that might be a signature:
The comb is perfectly flat but rounded back by the buttplate extension which is  extremely short with no screw hole.  I recognize the buttstock could have been shortened but there's plenty of room behind the cheek piece.  
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 05:22:51 AM by rich pierce »
Andover, Vermont