Author Topic: Snaphaunce Lock  (Read 7298 times)

timM

Snaphaunce Lock
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:54:26 PM »
A while back a gentleman "BioProf" had shown a great looking snaphaunce lock that he had built from castings.  In that light I thought to show a lock out of a Spanish fuzil I have that had gone to Old Mexico sometime in its working career. 

These Mexican fusils are called "Escopeda's"  and are typically found in a Migualet lock configuration and were used way out of period.  Everything in the expansion of early Mexico seemed to get used to the point of exhaustion.  My Escopeda is no exception and the extreme use is part of the charm.  tim

Offline JTR

• member 2
Re: Snaphaunce Lock
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:48 PM »
That's a cool lock, right down to the face at the tail!
Thanks for posting Tim.
John
John Robbins

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 08:45:54 AM »
It's a wonderful old lock and the photos are excellent.  I appreciate seeing it, and saved the pics for reference.  Thanks.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »
This lovely snaphaunce appears Italian to me. Examples would be Fig 4, Encyclopedia of Firearms, Hrold L. Peterson; Jackson & Whitelaw in European Hand Firearms state ". . .by far the most beautiful snaphaunce weapons, comining the finest of workmanship with artistic decoration and elegance of design, were made in Italy (chiefly at Brescia) about the middle of the XVIIth century, at which time the art of chiselling in steel was brought as near to perfection as possible." See figures 35--42.
Be interesting to see the rest of the gun. Is it Italian, or might it be a Spanish gun made using that old Italian lock?

timM

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
JC, interesting consideration on the lock being Italian.  The butt stock profile is of the Madrid style and the rest of the gun has been cut down to a short 35" or so length OA. 

I will hesitate for the time being on posting pictures as I have it to pieces. Beyond that the patina has been erased and I don't want to show what some might consider a questionable piece.

Gentlemen I am glad you enjoyed the lock.  tim

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 04:45:19 AM »
Tim,
Very cool lock. I like to see the various configurations of the mechanisims that were used durring the development of what ultimately led to the flint lock weve come to know and love. Thanks for sharing
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:48:31 AM »
Not being familiar with this type lock, this might be a stupid question.  First I assume the mainspring is missing in the photos.  Second, there is no bridle?  And the biggest one for me, is the pan cover automatically removed by firing or does the shooter have to thumb it out of the way before shooting?  I can't make out a linkage that would make it automatic? 

timM

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 05:46:49 PM »
Good Morning Jerry,...The mainspring is missing and yes there is no bridle.  The pan cover moves forward when the cock in is in downward motion.  If you look close in the second photo there is a rod that articulates off the top of the tumbler under the pan bolster.   This rod  intersects with the pivot rod with the cleaned screw?  tim

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 05:48:39 AM »
TimM, Thanks for the explanation.  I missed that rod under the bolster.  Thought I was missing something between the cover and the frizzen to activate it.  Now I understand why the flintlock prevailed.  The design of the frizzen and pan cover as one piece is much simplier and with fewer moving parts to hang up. 

Offline Long John

• Give me Liberty or give me Death
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 01:53:05 AM »
Also, note that there is no 1/2 cock notch in the tumbler.  I guess the gun must have been carried with the frizzen forward and the shooter had to drop the frizzen before shooting.

JMC

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 02:35:14 PM »
I find the elegance of these early European locks quite appealing. The artistic flamboyance shines brightly. The specialization of the various parts manufacturing guilds of the times are truly a vast study within themselves. The snaphaunce and the true flintlock kind of came about nearly within the same time frame. Both were being produced simultaniously in different areas of Europe. Thank you Tim for shareing your photo's. Please do not be afraid to show pictures of the entire weapon. I promise not to pronounce judgement upon historic works. We all have to realize that many items have taken a lot of lumps through the passage of time. It is always a wonder that many have survived at all. I try always to keep an open mind in these regards, it kind of helps a bit in the learning proccesses. The lock I show here is from a Bresican pistol ca. 1690-1710. I have seen a couple of snaphaunce's with just about the same design.  http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Captjoel/QualityBresicanPistol032.jpg[/img]] http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Captjoel/QualityBresicanPistol030.jpg[/img]]  http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e279/Captjoel/QualityBresicanPistol038.jpg[/img]]
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 02:39:14 PM by Captjoel »
Joel Hall

timM

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2009, 09:22:56 PM »
Captjoel,........thanks for sharing this beautiful early pistol!  I also see the linage of this lock profile, interesting to me. After having spent about a year on this forum and I finally have started my first build, and it is a pistol with this same stock profile...... Americanized. tim