Author Topic: Single trigger or DST?  (Read 6750 times)

galamb

Single trigger or DST?
« on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:04 AM »
Need a bit of advice here for my next build (in the planning/acquiring parts stage).

Will be a Maryland style rifle influenced mostly by Christian Hawken - taking what I like from a number of examples of his rifles.

Mine will be a 45 cal, percussion conversion (ya I like caps) used pretty much exclusively for deer hunting. While it will do it's time punching holes in paper, it will be a hunting rifle.

Since the original rifle examples I'm (pulling) from show single triggers on some, doubles on others I'm not (restricted).

So my question is, would there be any advantage to using double triggers over a single trigger? My Ohio rifle has DST's, I like them fine but am not convinced they are of any advantage in hunting situation. But, since I have but the one rifle and have no experience with a single trigger front stuffer, am looking for opinions.

Thanks

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Single trigger or DST?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 05:50:56 AM »
A well tuned lock with a plain trigger is ideal in the woods.

For offhand competition shooting, I like a DST.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2013, 05:57:29 AM »
If you have alot of room inside triggergard would be the only time I would use a DST for any type of hunting gun. Colder weather with gloves on will show you why. Tom is right about the single trigger,  for a dual purpose gun I would go with a single trigger.

galamb

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2013, 06:08:56 AM »
Thank-you,

that's kinda what I was thinking, just needed some convincing :)

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2013, 06:15:34 AM »
If you have alot of room inside triggergard would be the only time I would use a DST for any type of hunting gun. Colder weather with gloves on will show you why. Tom is right about the single trigger,  for a dual purpose gun I would go with a single trigger.
I never ever try to shoot anything with a glove on.  Hand slips out of glove (or where ever i've been keeping it warm) before i shoot. 

But it rarely gets to zero F around here. 
Hold to the Wind

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »
I have made a lot of set triggers but the best shooting I ever did was with a single trigger Alex Henry.

Bob Roller

Offline alex e.

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 04:26:51 PM »
As stated,a gloved or cold finger will show you why  DST are not desirable on a hunting gun. A good single trigger will still probably shoot better than the guy shooting it.
Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Birddog6

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
It just depends on what you want.  If you like a single trigger, then do it.   Most of the DST triggers I have seen installed, were just ? what do I say ? Generically installed.  Nutherwords just just put them in, &  the results are a 8-10#  pull pressure on the front trigger  & a set trigger.   ::)   And even a DST, you should always use a guard that gives you plenty of room on the front trigger, just to be safe. 
If you study & work with the triggers, you can get that front trigger down to 3# pull pressure & ideal for hunting & still have the set trigger for target if you wish.

That being said, I have done them both ways, but I prefer a single trigger for hunting, simply because I have more room in the triggerguard.  

Keith Lisle
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 04:35:41 PM by D. Keith Lisle »

Offline PPatch

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2013, 05:05:38 PM »
What Acer said.

dp
Dave Parks   /   Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, 06:04:08 PM »
Dittos again what Acer said but I would add, spend some time on the layout and positioning of the triggers, especially if you do a single trigger. My last build was a .62 cal with single trigger. I tuned the lock to the best of my ability and pinned the trigger high in the stock. I ended up with a very light pull for a single trigger. Shoots really well.  there is some good info in peter Alexander's book on setting up triggers. Probably some good stuff here in archives.
 Percussion? yuk.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, 07:54:27 PM »
What can one shoot best with?
I have flip flopped back and forth on this for years making rifles both ML and brass suppository both ways.
The single trigger when its set up right, even down to 1-2 pounds can be a steading factor for some people especially off a rest. If under one pound it can almost be broken like a set trigger.
The set trigger allows breaking the trigger at the ideal hold with no squeeze and no jarring the rifle.
I try not to let my fingers get too cold to shoot well. Numb fingers don't work well with any trigger.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Hungry Horse

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, 08:35:14 PM »
 Be aware you can overdo the mechanical advantage part of forging your own simple trigger. I built my young son a miniature trade gun in .410 ga. years ago. I was fearful, that the simple trigger would have a trigger weight, that would interfere with his ability to shoot accurately. So, I mounted the trigger as high in the stock as I could. But, I didn't consider the length of the trade gun trigger. That trigger pull, although a long travel, was scary light, and had to be redone for safety.
 A lot of new shooters, and builders, regard the simple trigger, as something to be avoided, when building a gun for serious shooting. Nothing could be further from the truth. Modern reproductions have given the simple trigger a bad name. The trick is mounting the trigger high in the stock ( but not too high), and never use one of those all in one setups that mount the trigger in the plate.

Hungry Horse

galamb

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2013, 01:23:43 AM »
Appreciate all the responses.

I do have Peter Alexander's book and have read over his section on triggers a few times while pondering what I wanted to use.

I am new to blackpowder, just a couple years now and my only rifle has an L&R DST (similar to a #4 Davis), it was my first build and after much piddling around (adjusting/filing) I have ended up with a very comfortable trigger pull (unset).

I don't have a scale but it is quite a bit lighter than my center fire rifles and shot guns. The rifle that inspired that build (1840's Ohio percussions) all had double triggers so that is the way I went but must say I rarely use the set function, but the doubles do look "correct" on that particular gun.

With my planned build, the originals I am studying have left me with numerous options - 7 examples and all have significantly different triggers ranging from a single (french fusil style on one, english fowler on another) all the way up to a double from a late plains Hawken  (perhaps Jake and Sam copied their fathers late doubles for their plains rifles?).

Before I posted the question here I was (personally) debating between a Davis Hawken DST and a York style single (as sold by TOTW or MBS) - I'm not at the point "yet" where I will be making my own trigger (still a woodworker and a little intimidated by metal work).

Track is "closing out" their "hand forged" York triggers/plates, so based on the responses I have got here I think that is the way I will go.

Thanks again to everyone who responded.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 06:49:47 AM »
I installed a single set trigger from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, in my Mark Silver/Chambers' Virginia rifle.  It functions very well unset, with about a 4# pull, or as a set trigger - only ounces.  It is a great trigger.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

galamb

« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 05:21:17 PM »
I installed a single set trigger from Muzzleloader Builders Supply, in my Mark Silver/Chambers' Virginia rifle.  It functions very well unset, with about a 4# pull, or as a set trigger - only ounces.  It is a great trigger.

If I could follow up on this a little - do you recall which model you used?

I did briefly consider a SST - they "looked" neat so I tried to do some reading on them. What little I did find stated they were more difficult to work with (tune etc) and really provided no advantage over a DST if you had the room to install it - plus, they looked to be (in general) about double the cost of a DST.

Additionally, on this project using either a single or a DST would be correct so I stopped pursuing a SST as an option.

But would be interested to hear your view on them - why did you choose to go with it etc. I am sure as I pursue this hobby I will run across a rifle I will want to build which would be restricted to a single trigger and a SST may be the perfect option if I want the added function.

Thanks

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2013, 06:49:53 PM »

Here's the unit I used.  I installed the trigger plate and simple trigger that came with the parts set, and it functioned very well, with about a 4# trigger pull.  But I wanted to use this rifle not so much for hunting but as my 'go to' offhand competition rifle.  So I bought the SST and the plate was almost identical to the inlet I'd already made.  I tuned the triggers simply by polishing to remove machine marks, fire blued the trigger itself, and replaced the set screw with a #2 X 56 of my own.  Seems to me it was around $50 and I don't regret the purchase in the least.  I have another in inventory for a future build (yet to be conceived).  As far as being more difficult to set up, the thing functioned perfectly right out of the box, and I consider it well made.  I have not had to adjust it since I installed it about five years or so ago.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 07:00:42 PM by D. Taylor Sapergia »
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2013, 07:20:32 PM »
The trigger in Taylor's post is a dandy design. Best of the SS triggers IMO. I use it on pistols and rifles where a DST is not easily incorporated. Like putting a set trigger in a finished plain trigger gun.

Can be made high if needed or very low.
I really like it and have a pair of pistols and a rifle with it.
Plans are shown in George's "English Guns and Rifles" and its available commercially.
Taylor's photos show just how nicely this can be done.

This is another one on a pistol I made for a friend a couple of years ago.

Dan

galamb

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2013, 08:04:38 PM »
Thanks again guys that is really "slick".

Just when I thought I had my mind made up :)

Sounds like this could expand the functionality of the rifle even though, at this point, I'm planning it as a hunting rifle, it certainly wouldn't hurt to expand it's options.

Offline Habu

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2013, 12:37:27 AM »
That one looks to me to be MBS's 38400 single Set KY trigger.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
There is no reason a hunting rifle cannot have a set trigger double set or otherwise.
Its preference. Given the choice I choose set triggers.

Dan