Author Topic: Barrels  (Read 12209 times)

Lutes

Barrels
« on: December 06, 2013, 05:15:24 AM »
Can someone give me a few names of people making muzzle loading slug barrels?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Barrels
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 06:00:18 AM »
Maybe Bob Hoyt? He makes Chunk gun barrels.

Does a slug gun use a false muzzle?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Lutes

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 06:23:13 AM »
Acer yes they do use false muzzles. I relly can't find any info on the Internet about the barrels as far as who makes them. They are sorta of a speciality.

Offline Kermit

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 06:38:54 AM »
The slug gun community is kind of an orphan. There aren't many of them to begin with, and the only site I've found is VERY slow. You might want to contact the NMLRA (and join if you haven't) to see if they can put you in touch with some of these dedicated and rather isolated shooters. Once in touch with some of them, they will likely be able to clue you in.

I find slug guns fascinating, but I don't have that kind of tunnel vision.
"Anything worth doing is worth doing slowly." Mae West

galamb

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 06:40:43 AM »
You may want to give Jason at Rice barrels a call http://www.ricebarrels.com/index.html.

He lists 1 1/8" false muzzle barrels in .45/.50/.54 - may make others for special order. They are expensive, so beware when you look. Start at $750 and then add the options from there....
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 06:41:19 AM by galamb »

Lutes

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 06:47:46 AM »
Graham I will check back with Rice . The last time I looked they said thier barrels were for /round ball only. Maybe I missread it?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 07:18:29 PM by Lutes »

galamb

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 07:05:44 AM »
I would give him a call. He will do custom stuff, cut different twists etc. I'm sure others will as well.

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 07:18:47 AM »
Ken,
ou might want to give Ed Rayl a call at 304-364-8269. I do't know if he makes slug barrels but if not he can probably turn you on to someone who does. If you call, give him my regards.
Mark
Mark

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2013, 07:51:37 AM »
Call Jim at 208-245-3693. He makes great barrels and I know of at least one he made for round ball had a false muzzle so he might be able to do slug gun specs. on one too.

blaksmth

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 08:04:42 AM »
You may want to call Oregon Barrel company also they will make barrels any twist and of calibers up to 2 Bore!!!!
 I do not know if they make a false muzzle or not but give them a call

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2013, 02:24:04 PM »
Ed Rayl told me he could make the bullet barrels and also cut the Alex Henry style of rifling
which is one of the better types.George Suiter built a superb replica of the Alex Henry sporting
target rifle and Ed did the barrel on that one.Ed told me he used 8620 for barrels and from what
I can find out,it is more than adequate for black powder rifles.He knows what he's doing and is
worth his pay.

Bob Roller

Offline Charlie B

• fcibarrels
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2013, 02:33:47 PM »
Slug barrels should come with mold,swage, etc. it is a specialized type of barrelmaking with a small market,not sure if anyone is currently building them.  Best bet is to come to Friendship in spring and talk to slug shooters,they will help and probably save time and money.
Charlie

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2013, 02:35:42 PM »
Not all bullet rifles use a false muzzle. The English long range types that are used
in 1000 and 1200 yard matches don't have them but some like the Rigby used a
guide starter that had no rifling.I had a semi-military Whitworth with a Henry barrel
that was a real match rifle.Find a copy of the 1971 Gun Digest and it has a good article on these
unique rifles. New ones are made by Pedersoli have gotten high reviews and have all the performance
anyone could want once a load is developed.

Bob Roller

Lutes

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, 04:13:25 PM »
Thanks to everyone for the information and suggestions. You have gave me some places to start .

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, 05:14:34 PM »
Lute.........two of the great Slug gun barrel makers, Ken Bresien and Webb Terry, no longer make them.   My son John has a
brand new Bresien underhammer action, with a 42" round barrel, false muzzle, however, it is a 54 cal., 1/72 twist for a round
ball.  The barrel could be sleeved to take a bullet barrel..........Don

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2013, 06:27:20 PM »
There's a fella up Wilmington, Ohio way that'll make you what you want up to 51", I believe. He's a Friendship regular but I can't remember his name. Maybe someone here will know him. I've got a good memory but it's short.

Lutes

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2013, 07:17:44 PM »
Don thanks for the information on the underhammer but I really like to have a smaller cal.

Lutes

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2013, 11:54:52 PM »
Well I did talk with Jason at Rice Barrel company. They do make slug barrels with false muzzles supplied with them. There is a long wait due to back log and speciality of the slug barrel. Decision decisions!

Offline albert

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2013, 01:16:19 AM »
You might try Mark de Hass here in Mo. he makes a fine bbl. also,but don't know about bullet bbls.
j albert miles

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2013, 02:00:54 AM »
There's a fella up Wilmington, Ohio way that'll make you what you want up to 51", I believe. He's a Friendship regular but I can't remember his name. Maybe someone here will know him. I've got a good memory but it's short.

Hi Keb,

Does this fellow set up next to the gunsmith/blacksmith building, to the west side, near the firing line?  Nice fellow.  I can't remember his name either.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Joey R

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2013, 03:43:16 AM »
Ron, Are you thinking about Tip Curtis in the nice metal building next to the smith shop? He's a Tennessee guy I think.
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline hortonstn

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2013, 05:45:20 AM »
He plays fiddle next to tip can't Rember  the name      branch meanly can give you all the slug gun facts
'

Offline smokinbuck

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2013, 06:16:09 AM »
Ron,
That isn't Tip Curtis, I think his name is kelly. He stays right there in a camper trailer.
Mark
Mark

coutios

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2013, 06:27:27 AM »
   Marks got it... His name is Howard Kelly... He is from Ohio..

Jim Mclemore is in In., No sure if he does slug...
Charlie Brown is another, He was talking about getting out of the business.. says no one today wants to pay for a match winner....

Regards....Dave

Offline SR James

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2013, 06:43:40 AM »
I'll second Ed Rayl. He cut a .45 bullet barrel for me a year or so ago.