Author Topic: Barrels  (Read 12203 times)

galudwig

Re: Barrels
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2013, 06:48:51 AM »
That's Howard Kelley of Webertown Rifle Works in Lynchburg, OH (937-364-2086).  An old brochure I have of his lists Chunk or Bench barrels up to 1 3/8" diameter.  Not sure if that big enough for a slug gun?  Charlie Burton (fcibarrels.com) lists a 1 1/8" light bench barrel with false muzzle.  Once again probably not big enough for a slug gun.

galudwig

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2013, 06:53:05 AM »
Ron, Are you thinking about Tip Curtis in the nice metal building next to the smith shop? He's a Tennessee guy I think.

Hi Joey,

Naw, I know Tip.  This fellow only sells barrels that he makes.  He's near Tip's building, same side of the row, but up nearer to the firing line.  He has his camper trailer right there, with a table in front under the awning.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Offline Joey R

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2013, 07:09:58 AM »
Yea Ron,I know who you are talking about now but I can't remember his name ???
Joey.....Don’t ever ever ever give up! Winston Churchill

Offline Ky-Flinter

• Global Moderator
  • Born in Kentucke, just 250 years late
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2013, 07:38:52 AM »
Yea Ron,I know who you are talking about now but I can't remember his name ???

I think the consensus is it's Howard Kelly.

-Ron
Ron Winfield

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun. -Nate McKenzie

Online bob in the woods

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »
I have a   1 in 18 twist .45 cal barrel that was made for me by Riley Smith at Long Hammock Barrels.  It is on a rifle I built for BP long range matches [ out to 1000 yds]  Got it about 15 years ago, so I'm not certain if Long Hammock still  makes them.
Worth a try.

Lutes

« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2013, 04:58:40 PM »
Thanks for all the leads. I will try to follow up on them.

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2013, 05:56:35 PM »
Yep. Howard Kelly. That's it.

UpDok

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2013, 08:55:39 PM »
Can someone give me a few names of people making muzzle loading slug barrels?

When I was  a 13 year old kid as a gift my parents bought me a copy of “The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle” by Ned Roberts. I was fascinated by Muzzle Loading rifles after visiting the gunshop museum display at “Old Sturbridge Village” in Massachusetts. Back then the museum proprietor let my father and I actually handle a couple of old muzzle loading hunting rifles. With that book as a guide I started building my own crude looking rifles that were fun, shot well, and kept me out of trouble. Chapter 6 of that book had a lot of info on heavy muzzle loading target rifles equipped with false muzzles that sparked my interest.

A little more than a decade later in 1982, I had Richard Hoch of Montrose Colorado make up a .365 bore  1 in 16" slug rifle with a false muzzle cut for oiled 2 strip paper patch. The barrel is about 30" long and about 1 5/8" across the flats. Mr. Hoch was famous for his nose-pour bullet moulds so I also had him make up a couple of his nose-pour bullet moulds; one for the two-strip paper patch and the other grooved for lubricant for shooting without the paper patch. Hoch custom Bullet moulds are still available from an outfit in New Mexico. I don’t think they still make rifle barrels however

I made up a target rifle with the big barrel that weighed about 23 lbs. It shot well but I discovered that the slug-rifle sport was not really my thing. The rifle is still sitting in my safe in good shape. I have not used it for years.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2013, 08:58:13 PM by UpDok »

Lutes

« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2013, 12:35:17 AM »
Updock I would love to see some pictures of it. What type of lock  did you put on it. What distance did you shoot it at. Just curious. Can't seem to find to many people who have a slug gun to talk to?

UpDok

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2013, 01:46:49 AM »
Updock I would love to see some pictures of it. What type of lock  did you put on it. What distance did you shoot it at. Just curious. Can't seem to find to many people who have a slug gun to talk to?

Lutes,
I'll forward some pictures to later your email address. It’s a bit rough looking. I don't want to put it up on Photobucket because it may not go over well in some circles. It is not very attractive.

The Barrel came from Mr. Hoch with a flint-type breechplug so I originally installed a big drum with 1/2-20 NF thread and stocked it as a half-stock in hard straight-grain maple with a Siler percussion Lock and a single set trigger. I mounted Weaver 1" scope rings and an aluminum muzzle rest to the barrel. I simply hit the barrel with some cold blue that has not endured very well. The ring mounts and muzzle rest are securely held on with 1/4" Allen flathead screws.

I used to have access to a 212 yard outdoor range with a solid wood bench for shooting while seated. Things have changed a bit since the mid 80’s. The range area is now built up and the shooting range is no longer available to me. At the time, I experimented with different types of paper (kraft, bond, etc.), different lubricants, different charges of Goex FFG, etc. I think it showed best results at about 80 grains. Unfortunately I only had a couple of books; “The Muzzle-Loading Cap Lock Rifle” by Ned Roberts, and chapter 8 “The Shooters Bible Black Powder Guide” ©1969 by George S. Nonte as guides. I need to say that most of the blackpowder shooters on this forum have considerably more knowledge in operating muzzleloading rifles than I have.

In the late 90’s I got the idea to build an underhammer mechanism and restock the slug rifle in black cherry. I put the rifle away after stocking it without shooting. I have not actually fired it since the mid 1980’s

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2013, 02:59:18 AM »
Unless I am mistaken, I think most of the slug gun shooters at Friendship have percussion guns with sealed ignition.....Don