Author Topic: patchboxes  (Read 6981 times)

Offline whitebear

patchboxes
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:08:09 AM »
I don't know where to put this question.  If it needs moving please do it thanks, whitebear.

What do you carry in your patchbox?  Patches, tools, balls, patchlube, snickers bars, or nothing but air? 
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

ken

Re: patchboxes
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 03:07:00 PM »
I carry nothing , evry thing I need is in my bag. That is why I stopped putting them on guns enlist the buyer really wants one.   ken

Offline David R. Pennington

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 03:19:02 PM »
Taking inventory of my .62 with the sliding lid box; jag, drawer, breech scraper. spare flint and leather, clipped feather, with some tow to keep everything from rattling. I had to deepen it a little so everything would fit. I usually clean my rifle in the field or at the range so I know I have what I need with the rifle always.
VITA BREVIS- ARS LONGA

Offline hanshi

• My passion is longrifles!
    • martialartsusa.com
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 10:32:48 PM »
Only three of my guns have patch boxes, and depending on ignition type, I will carry extra flint/percussion cap, extra patch or two, maybe a worm, a ball (+ or -).  My Snickers bar(s) is/are in my pocket where they are safe.
!Jozai Senjo! "always present on the battlefield"
Young guys should hang out with old guys; old guys know stuff.

Offline satwel

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 12:30:39 AM »
A Snickers bar.

TradT

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 01:52:13 AM »
Neither of my two rifles has a patch box but, if they did, I don't think I would utilize it.

galamb

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2013, 02:00:03 AM »
Patches, spare nipple, a jag and a puller and a couple of balls - saves trying to dig them out of a pocket in my hunting coat or worse, leaving them at home when you get 2 miles into the woods :)

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Offline Pete G.

« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 02:14:15 AM »
I have the tools required for running that particular gun. Worm, jag, breech scraper and usually an extra ball or two all topped with enough clean PATCHES to keep things from moving around.

jamesthomas

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 03:41:28 AM »
 I don't have one on mine. I have seen too many fine rifles with extra fancy curl ruined by having a patchbox. Why spend all that extra $$$ on fancy curl and then put a patchbox on it and ruin the curl showing on that side??.

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 04:07:14 AM »
I have a worm, and some linen patch material wrapped around a spare flint. It's nice to have a spare flint where you can get to it quickly if you need to. 

dagner

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2014, 03:07:29 PM »
  all my buddies who treck and camp out usualy don't have anything in them .just to make gun pretty

willyr

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2014, 03:29:37 PM »
I have one of those double patchboxes on my Tennessee rifle and in one end I carry a jag and a couple of cleaning patches. The other end contains pre-cut and pre-lubed patches. It is, after all, a PATCHBOX.

Offline ohidan

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2014, 04:49:13 PM »
I n my patch boxes I keep a little piece of paper that has written down how the gun shoots at different yardages and how much powder to use, Kinda forgetful in my younger years!
ohidan

Offline Bull Shannon

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 09:15:37 AM »
I cut my patches at the muzzle from a strip that I ties to the strap of my bag so no need for a patch box.  Both rifles I had made for me were without a patchbox but the one TV I own I bought used and it came with a double patchbox.  I keep a spare flint and some cleaning patches in them although I haven't had cause to even open them while in the field.  Everything I need is in my shooting box while at the range or in my bag.
You can't kill a man who is born to hang!

mjm46@bellsouth.net

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2014, 04:26:45 PM »
I keep a pick and brush, a jag, and a drop in bore light. and some rag to keep it all from rattling, UGH!!! Everything else goes in the bag.

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2014, 11:35:54 PM »
I don't carry anything in my patchboxes. I can't keep them closed in the woods.

Centershot

blaksmth

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 03:30:03 AM »
we have a couple origionals that I believe were full of some kinda grease that my Father dug out years ago.

I allways kept a spare nipple and pick in the one I had