Author Topic: Kentucky Rifle Foundation CD Speakers Presentation  (Read 20802 times)

Offline HIB

Kentucky Rifle Foundation CD Speakers Presentation
« on: February 28, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »

The Kentucky Rifle Foundation Presents
Speakers PowerPoint Presentation

The primary mission of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation is ‘Preserving the Heritage of the Kentucky Rifle’. With this in mind the Kentucky Rifle Foundation has produced a 48 slide PowerPoint presentation “The Importance of the Kentucky Rifle in the Development of Our Country”.

The purpose of this KRF presentation is to aide members of the ALR, CLA and KRA in spreading the word regarding the importance and use of the Kentucky Rifle in Colonial America. It is also designed to spark interest in today’s contemporary community with regards to the fun and enjoyment of continuing the sport of black powder shooting, rifle making and attending various black powder events and reenactments.

The KRF PowerPoint presentation is easy to use. The ‘boiler plate’ format and script allows for easy local interpretation and with a little practice can be pulled off with basic platform skills. You don’t need to be an accomplished public speaker to turn this topic into a historically correct history lesson. The script and slides will do that for you.

The content of the KRF’s 48 slide speakers presentation includes:
•   The immigration of Swiss/ German gunsmiths to Pennsylvania starting in 1682
•   The evolution of the Jaeger rifle into the American Longrifle
•   2nd and 3rd generation migration of gunsmiths South and West
•   The ‘Golden Age’ of the Kentucky Rifle   [17 examples]
•   The tactical use of the rifle in the Rev War and War of 1812
•   The general use of the smooth rifle and rifled bore in Colonial times

The KRF program is simple to implement; tell us when you need the Script and CD and both will be sent to you via USPS.  When you return the  loaned CD all we ask is: who did you present it to? “How well was it received?” and the number of individuals in the audience.

For further information please contact HIB directly using the ALR profile e-mail address.

PS: Stay tuned because we may be able to customize the 17 ‘Golden Age’ slides to your area of interest or private collection.    Regards,  HIB

To learn more about the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's projects and the KRF's product offering go to:

kentuckyriflefoundation.org      also   visit the Kentucky Rifle Foundation on Facebook
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 07:07:28 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline jdm

• member 2
Re: Kentucky Rifle Foundation CD Speakers Presentation
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2014, 05:57:06 AM »
Henry, Do you need to be a K.R.A. member to have access to this?
JIM

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 07:04:30 AM »
Jim,    This program is open to anyone who can find their way to me with a plan.

A form of this presentation use to be on 35mm slides. I gave it 12 or 13 times to local civic groups interested in the history of their town, a couple of local museums and two different Explorer Troops here in Atlanta. It was also presented several times at an early CLA meeting about 10 years ago and once at a local High School. A retired Airforce Officers group is next on the calendar.

This new version is a complete revision of the old project. Four artist have contributed their work and we were able to access the Library of Congress for other full color artwork. The story is basically the same but the script has been rewritten and is easier to follow than the old one and the new slides are more impressive.

The program really gets interesting when a 'show and tell' segment is added to the end of the PowerPoint presentation.

If you know of an interested party have them contact me at:
latisabethan.dilemma@comcast.net         Regards,  HIB

Offline HIB

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:37 AM »
Gentlemen,  Shortly after the Kentucky Rifle Foundation post was submitted confirmation was received that we can, in fact, customize the PowerPoint presentation to a specific school using the KRF's library of 8 educational CD's.

We can also interject an individual collectors photo gallery into the 17 slide segment addressing the 'Golden Age' of the Kentucky Rifle. There are a number of parameters to do this including: digital jpg formating at 300 DPI. Actually, it can be done at a lower resolution but 300 DPI seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

What this means is we can produce a PowerPoint slide presentation designed specifically for your audience.  A neat feature of todays technology.  Regards, HIB

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 12:21:07 AM »
There are a number of parameters to do this including: digital jpg formating at 300 DPI. Actually, it can be done at a lower resolution but 300 DPI seems to fit the bill quite nicely.

The 300 dpi reference is confusing to me with regard to images displayed in PowerPoint.  I think you may be misunderstanding what you are setting.  300 dpi generally refers to print resolution and has little or no meaning in a screen or projector presentation other than to indicate the capability of the display.    A screen image would be given in pixels like 1024x786 which is the max for most portable projectors.   My digital camera produces images in the range of 5600x3700 pixels which allows you to create a print image of 11"x17" (a magazine centerfold)  at 300 dpi.   The resolution of my camera is considerably higher than any projector technology on the market  and that can only produce an 11"x17" image at 300dpi.  300 dpi is considered the ideal print resolution although down to 240 dpi is workable.   DPI is sometimes used in some software to indicate how an image is to be displayed on a screen where the resolution in pixels is adjusted for a particular screen size.   DPI most often indicates how an image of a given size in pixels is to be printed or scanned.  Output for screens is typically sized at 72 dpi.    So,  when you have a given screen size in inches,  a calculation can be made as to the required image size in pixels to provide the best image on a given display device.   The only displays I am aware of that can come anywhere close to 300 dpi are the Apple Retina displays on their smaller laptops,  and the latest iPads, and iPhones.  I have a good Samsung 25.5" diagonal (21.5" wide)  display that supports a resolution of 1920x1280 pixels.   That works out to 89dpi.   It really doesn't have much meaning except to compare the resolution of output devices.   The monitor can still only display 1920x1280 pixels of an image.     By my rough calculation, most projectors are going to give you less than 72 dpi resolutions given that the highest resolution projectors such as those capable of 4096x3072 pixels are those super large units in the neighborhood of 60-100" diagonally which still gives you around a 72 dpi resolution.   So,  300 dpi is just meaningless for any type of display presentation.   The technology just doesn't support that.    

When dpi is used in software,  it is generally related to some sort of transformation of an image for output.   As I have demonstrated,  nothing more than about 72 dpi is appropriate for any display technology.  

All that said,  I would like to take a look at the presentation.  Would you be willing to make it available online?   You could simply make the entire presentation available as a download in a zip for folks who have PowerPoint or a compatible player or run it through a web page.    When I taught, years ago, I would put my PowerPoint lessons out on the web for my students.   That way,  they didn't have to take notes and I didn't have to print out copies.   I felt it was more important for students to pay attention in class and be engaged rather than try to take notes.  They could access everything on their laptops.   The same could apply to this presentation, so that attendees had access to it after the presentation.  

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 12:24:05 AM by Mark Elliott »

Offline HIB

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 04:36:20 AM »
Mark, Thanks for your input. For the most part it is correct. Let me explain how it works from this end and then provide the 3 PowerPoint considerations available. Please keep in mind we are only dealing with the 17 slides in the 'Golden Age' of the Kentucky Rifle section of the KRF 48 slide PowerPoint presentation.

16 of the 17 'Golden Age' slides available in the current PowerPoint issue were taken from several of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's eight CD photo library with a maximum size of 3750 x 2875. The original resolution from each of the KRF CD's ranged from 240 dpi to 300 dpi. They were than re-formated to 72 dpi [2999 x 2249 size]. As you point out this is the general size and resolution acceptable using today's PowerPoint projectors. We were happy with the results. Please note also that the remaining slides are at the maximum projector rating of 72 dpi.

The one slide out of the 17 that was custom was taken at several different sizes and resolution. The one that worked best when change to 72 dpi was the 300 dpi 3761x1884 series. Hence, the post to which you refer. My guess is we can do wonders with anything larger than 72 dpi as you suggest. And since there are a 'blue zillion' digital cameras out there we developed the 300 dpi and related size hoping we would get studio images for the advanced custom PowerPoint presentation. Images we would format to 72 dpi and related size.

Presentations Available:
1] As is, with assorted rifles from various states and schools
2] A presentation made up from any one of the 8 KRF CD's in our current library
       a] Vol.I, Issue I - Black & White photo's from the 60's
       b] Vol.I, Issue II - Supporting KRF Moravian book photos
       c] Vol.I, Issue III - Lehigh Valley Gunsmiths
       d] Vol.I, Issue IV - Western Pa. Gunsmiths
       e] Vol.I, Issue V - Shenandoah Valley Gunsmiths
        f] Vol.I, Issue VI - 'Best of show' winners
       g] Vol.I, Issue VII - Maryland Gunsmiths
       h] Vol.I, Issue VIII - Southern Rifles
3] A custom presentation of a private Antique rifle collection or club grouping of same.

I hope this clears up this interesting observation by a noted and experienced photographer and the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's PowerPoint options and position.

I will address the second part of Marks question tomorrow. Regards, HIB

Offline HIB

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 08:22:57 AM »
Gentlemen,   Yesterday Mark's second question was "Would the Kentucky Rifle Foundation be willing to put this presentation on line".

The answer, at this time, is we would not. It is currently a lending program for use by individuals wanting to tell the story of the 'Importance of the Kentucky Rifle in the Development of Our Country'. It's an open invitation to use, free of charge, the basic story of the 'Kentucky Rifle'.

The process is simple:  
1] Schedule a seminar and tell us who it will be given to.
2] Search out the use of a PowerPoint projector. [Gun Club, Library, School, etc.]
3] Tell us which KRF presentation you want:
       a] Basic [allow 4 weeks]
       b] Developed specifically from the KRF 8 CD library [allow 8 weeks]
       c] Custom [allow 12 weeks]
4] The Script and CD will be sent to you via USPS.
5] Note:The KRF can send the script e-mail so you can practice if time is tight.
6] Give the seminar. [Allow 45-50 minutes if you include 'Show and Tell']
7] Return CD for use by the next presenter in line.
8] And include a paragraph or two on 'How it went'. That's all the KRF asks.

This is truly a basic 'Boiler Plate' presentation. Absolutely non-political but historically correct in all aspects. The script, which follows the slides, is in large type with plenty of room for 'presenter notes' and additional comments. It is an "101" educational tool.

To further expand on the answer to Mark's question "Would you be willing to make it available online?" the Kentucky Rifle Foundation would like to have several years of experience with this presentation, including valuable input and comments, before expanding the program and considering placing it on the internet. I think prudent collectors and contemporary builders will appreciate this cautious approach.
Regards, HIB

« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 08:07:11 PM by HIB »

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2014, 04:11:24 PM »
HIB,

I wish I had seen this post a few weeks ago - before our show in Williamsburg, where we might have been able to use it for a presentation.

I'll contact you via PM about using the materials for a presentation to our Boy Scouts at Troop 103.

Best regards,

Larry Luck

Offline Ian Pratt

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2014, 07:28:35 AM »
  Last Saturday I had a group of Boy Scouts visit my Gunmakers' Workshop and gave this presentation as part of an afternoon program. It didn't take too much to adapt the presentation to this general age group and it was easy to move along at a good pace and hold everybody's interest.
  I don't have any photos of that part of the afternoon's activities, but I have posted some pictures here of the scouts shooting out at the range later that day   -   http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=30545.0     

Offline HIB

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 07:49:26 AM »
Gentlemen,  I gave the KRF PowerPoint presentation to a group of retired navy pilots yesterday here in Atlanta. I spent a little extra time up front introducing an example of the Longrifle and explained all the different names attributed to the gun ie: American Longrifle, Pennsylvania Longrifle, Maryland Longrifle etc. etc.  That time was well spent and led directly into the basic presentation which explained it all again along with how the American Longrifle became known as the Kentucky Rifle

The slide presentation took 29 minutes. The question and answer period took 35 minutes and the show and tell discussion another 30 minutes. I had a very active and involved group; 34 vets each a hero in my mind.

When I receive photos I'll post them here. Regards,  HIB

Currently there are 12 future presentations scheduled and 4 completed. The activity has been from Washinton State to Pennsylvania

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 04:02:56 PM »
A library near me has expressed interest in a presentation of my rifle building. This presentation seems like it could lay down the foundation, and then I could follow up with a show-and-tell on my building.

Thank you for offering this to us.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2014, 01:48:23 PM »
      I used this material in a presentation at our local Historical Society.  It was a rather small affair (about 25 people) with limited space, but using the KRA Foundation materials opened the 2 hr. presentation up to a much wider discussion than the usual questions on materials, building techniques and the always asked "does it shoot?"    The story of Timothy Murphy (a local boy for us) and a few others really helped them see the significance of the longrifle in the establishment of our country.  The questions after the KRA DVD were very good relating to the geographical differences (schools) of gun building and early vrs. late features on guns etc.   I am sure this DVD will have a great impact as it is used around the country.   
Thanks KRA Foundation
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Bombman

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 05:40:37 AM »
An excellent presentation. I wonder what is the painting of the settlers moving through the forest on the wagon road? Its a very nice depiction.

Offline HIB

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 05:51:17 PM »
Gentlemen, The information requested by 'Bombman' is in regard to a painting by David Wright used in the Kentucky Rifle Foundation's 'Speakers Presentation'. The paintings title is"Gateway to the West". Prints are available directly from David Wright or at his display at the upcoming CLA show in a few weeks.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 07:29:58 PM by HIB »

Offline HIB

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2015, 09:26:32 AM »
Gentlemen,  I thought it appropriate to bring you up to date with my personal experience with the Kentucky Rifle Foundation PowerPoint presentation. I along with Wayne Elliott have given the presentation or a version of it 7 or 8 times. Wayne was with me on most of the presentations.

Basically, we did several before it became a formal KRF product. The first was to a local museum and it turned out well especially the 'show and tell' and question and answer period. I did one with a group of retired Airforce Officers with the initial version several years ago. It was a hit as well and they asked me back once I told them the KRF intended to produce the slide show on PowerPoint and they opened the luncheon to spouses..

Since the release of the PowerPoint presentation We have once again presented it to the retired Airforce group.  Everything went well until I asked the group if they would like to see how the Flint striking the frizzen produced the ignition to the powder charge in the barrel [flash in the pan, if you will].  The mistake I made was not noticing the fire alarms in the ceiling of the 'Country Club' room where the presentation was made. Actually, nothing happened the first time but a rather insistant women wanted to see it again. And so I obliged. You can guess what happened!!!

Wayne wasn't with me when I made the presentation to the Atlanta Woodcrafter's Guild.  They some how got wind of the presentation and asked if I would show up with several examples of low relief carving as it was the main topic of their Nov. meeting. Not one to shy away from an opportunity I took several originals to the meeting and was treated with the greatest respect imaginable from the individuals learning the mysteries of Philadelphia and New York schools of furniture carving. They gave me 45 minutes but I was actually there over an hour and a half. The best part was the show and tell.  I had two originals plus a suburb fowler recently finished by Mark Wheland.

Well,  I remembered the fire alarms from the country club so we took Marks fowler out side behind the store and I gave it about 70 grains of 3F and ramed a little tin foil ball down on top and primed with 4F. I did the first demo but the crew lined up behind me and wanted a chance to do the same. Everything worked well until we heard sirens. Not sure 20 guys could have gotten back inside any quicker. Needless to say I was out of there pretty fast on my own.

The last presentation was to a small group of Georgia Tech students who were involved with weapons design [I think]. Regardless, the presentation went well but Wayne's 'show and tell' took all honors. We turned 45 minutes into a an hour and 45 minutes. They actually were shuting the building down and interupted Wayne's part of the program.

So what is the point of this review?  First of all it is an easy presentation. And second of all if you back it up with a 1 or 2 or 3 man 'show and tell' you willl have accomplished not only your personal mission but the primary mission of the Kentucky Rifle Foundation.  'Preserving the Heritage of the Kentucky Rifle'

I'm telling you guys: It is a very rewarding experiance. And as you can see the audience base is unlimited.   Regards to all, HIB

Offline jdm

• member 2
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 01:36:21 AM »
Henry,
I'm glad to see you haven't lost your touch.
I personally have found this collecting hobby to be very rewarding  and enjoy sharing it with others. I wish I had your knack of making history come alive. Thanks for doing so.   JIM
JIM

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2015, 01:12:12 AM »
I am here to tell you the small group who saw Wayne and Henry present at GT were blown away!!  The presentation was awesome and then getting to look at and hold these guns and ask questions of two knowledgeable collectors really won their appreciation. 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2015, 11:02:11 PM »
Tim, it was our pleasure to present the program  to your Atlanta Vietnam Vets association yesterday.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 11:02:54 PM by WElliott »
Wayne Elliott

Offline JCKelly

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2015, 06:12:56 AM »
What is the point of this thread when the photos have been deleted?

Offline HIB

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2016, 12:16:38 AM »
J. C.   I am not certain as to how the photo's were deleted, however, I have had that happen with 'Photo Bucket' previously.  I'll check into it but the two photo's you are referring to regarding the presentation are pics of the intro page of the presentation.

Several individuals who have sent in photo's of presentations they have made control their own input. Your point is well taken and I will do my best to renew what I can.

I'd be happy to send you a copy of script and thumbnails should you wish to look them over. It is a large file but can be sent in 3 transmission via e-mail. Let me know either thru the ALR message board or directly at  latisabethan.dilemma@comcast.net   Regards, Henry

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2016, 01:38:04 AM »
Henry,
If they were photos that I put up for you its possible I may have deleted them in error. I had some old photos on my personal (not ALR) website that I had linked to on ALR, thought all of them were old for sale photos. I needed the space and deleted them. Maybe I deleted yours in error. If so send me copies of them and I will put them on my Photobucket account.

Just thought about it I should be able to look at the URL and see what website they were one.

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline HIB

« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2016, 09:42:58 PM »
Gentlemen and Ladies,  The two missing photos referred to in J.C.'s post are back in place.

Thanks J.C. for the observation.

I do have a DVD of Wayne's and my presentation to the Booth Museum which I intend to take to the affiliate shows I attend. Can also make copies if there is an interest, however,  while the DVD is professionally produced it is somewhat humbling watching myself at the podium. Getting old and gray doesn't quite fit my young and dapper image of myself.

The DVD, however, does prove how easy it is to make the presentation.  Regards, HIB

brokenflint

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2016, 05:26:39 PM »
Henry

The next time you present this locally would you give me a heads up, I'd like to attend for sure.  Talk to you at Knoxville.

Ed