Author Topic: do i have a jacob dickert marked barrel  (Read 3128 times)

win1906

do i have a jacob dickert marked barrel
« on: April 05, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
this a new long rifle i picked up recently.very poor shape and has been messed with.the top of the barrel looks like a jacob dickert   j and then the beginning of his D.then on the bottom of the barrel i see cker but cant make out the rest.wishful thinking or something else.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: do i have a jacob dickert marked barrel
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2014, 08:04:57 PM »
The barrel signature of a very fine Dickert rifle is at this URL. All that I have seen are similar with the Distinctive hallmark stamped between the first name or initial and Dickert.

http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=22664.0

Hurricane

Offline MGillman

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
I have seen that patch box before. I will have to look and see which gun it was on.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:38:22 PM »
Here's a pretty typical Dickert barrel signature.
Note the small crossed tomahawk/arrow cartouche with the four surrounding punched circles between the J and D. Most signatures seem to have this, but not all. Also notice the wide spacing between the J and the D. This also seems to be typical whether the signature has the cartouche, or not.  
All the Dickert signatures I've seen have been engraved. The cker on the lower flat of your barrel is likely the barrel makers name, but I'd be doubtful that it stands for Dickert.

On your barrel, the 1st letter is obviously a J, and the 2nd letter looks like an M. But it also looks like there was an older/earlier letter that was purposely mostly obliterated by the M. The 2nd letter could have been a D. But a J D could have been many makers, and doesn't necessarily mean Jacob Dickert.

Just my opinions of course!

John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 09:39:07 PM by JTR »
John Robbins