Author Topic: Trying to get some opinions on this one  (Read 5303 times)

Offline wildcatter

Trying to get some opinions on this one
« on: April 08, 2014, 05:07:47 PM »
Below are some pictures of a rifle I can't seem to figure out. It was acquired in South Carolina from a family in the upstate. All the furniture is iron, I think, except the trigger guard may be silver and the barrel keys are wooden? I can't pin down any solid characteristics look for some help.

You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: Trying to get some opinions on this one
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 12:32:31 AM »
A magnet should help with the triggerguard material question. 

The buttplate and patchbox do not appear consistent with the triggerguard and breechplug finial, and my first thought was a restock, but I could easily be wrong.  My impression is the acorn is a recurring theme in western Virginia/West Virginia rifles, so there may be some connection.  But these are wild speculations.  I'd like to see a more knowledgeable response.

Larry Luck

Offline vtbuck223

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:31 AM »
That side plate is a very odd shape....but obviously very intentionally so....initially I was thinking....what state is that a shape of...but doesn't seem close to any....maybe a particular county within a state? I would like to hear what those more knowledgeable think about it.

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2014, 05:52:34 AM »
What did the upstate SC family you acquired it from know about it? 
Wayne Elliott

Offline wildcatter

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2014, 03:57:17 PM »
Not much if I remember correctly, it's been about 10 years. Picked it up from a friend of mine in Anderson SC. His family has been in the state since 1800's and the gun supposedly was I the family for years.  I pulled it out of my chest over the weekend to let it breathe a little since it hasn't seen light in about 2 years. When I looked at it all the questions came back to me so I posted it on here.
You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four.

Offline homerifle

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 04:31:28 AM »
I would like to say that all though the rifle has a acorn patchbox it has no characteristics of a Hampshire county West Virginia/ Virginia rifle. A rifle of that period from that area wouldn't have a release in the toe, most all were friction lid box's , the finial of the box isn't consistent with the area as well as the forearm, or lock panels. How ever I do believe it might have some identity with the southern part of the Shenandoah  valley and North Carolina. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Offline Shreckmeister

• GGGG Grandpa Schrecengost Gunsmith/Miller
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 04:52:45 AM »
That's a great rifle. I hope you figure out where it came from.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.

Bible Totin Gun Slinger

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:54:17 PM »
I've seen that same hardware before, and the fact it's a Cap Lock narrows things down, I bet somebody will see these picks here and know just what it is.  Might be in the Foxfire Books I seen it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 04:58:58 PM by Bible Totin Gun Slinger »

Online sz

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
Ya know, this may be way off base, but I have to tell you guys anyway.

That rifle sure looks like a few I handled that were made in California back in the 1855-1870 era.
In fact it's nearly identical.

Is it possible that rifle somehow made its way east instead of being made in the east?

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 05:23:04 AM »
I am not seeing anything that strikes me as Southern. That may mean that it is just that.   :D
Wayne Elliott