Author Topic: F & I study horn  (Read 3072 times)

gizamo

F & I study horn
« on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:07 AM »
Added this horn to my collection. It will be a study horn for future work that I am planning. It measures slightly over 17" along the arc and 9.5"s at the base. Faceted at the throat in 12 flats, reverse engrailed, it transitions through a band, half band and ring. It drops to ten facets that run halfway up the horn.There is a leather repair to a hole 3/4 of the way to the base. The base plug is original to the horn and shows several attempts to repair/ tighten. It is missing the spout plug.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:51:54 PM by rich pierce »

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
Re: F & I study horn
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 03:07:46 AM »
This horn has a great twist. Great find. It may or may not be an F&I horn. Do you have reason to believe it is?

Steve
Steve Skillman

gizamo

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 11:58:44 AM »
Steve...

Guess it has the correct architecture and size. It would work well for a smoothbore. The faceting, engrailing, and other carving are in keeping with era along with the low dome baseplug.

No way to properly date it and no provenance comes with the horn.

It will make a great study piece and source for a bench copy.  :)

Offline skillman

• The Usual Suspect
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 05:22:35 PM »
I agree Giz, it could be. I wondered if you had some provenance that said it was. That's all. I find this horn very fascinating. It reminds me very much of one that Ian Pratt sent me pictures of. If I remember correctly, and I may not, it was from Georgia. At least found there. Same green color and a fantastic twist like this one.

Steve
Steve Skillman